GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

#Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 05:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:31) correct 56% (01:41) wrong based on 208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne, crowned emperor by the pope in 800, show that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire for a civilized state to reform education in his kingdom.

A. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire

B. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and also driven by his desire

C. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire

D. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire

E. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that his desire drove him

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: #Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 09:56
The central theme of the topic is to say that the emperor was in illiterate person with a desire for a civilized society in spite of his illiteracy. So the core theme of his illiteracy should be marked by a verb while his desire should be relegated to a modifier.

A. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate driven by his desire --- seems correct. Driven by his desire is a modifier.

B. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and also driven by his desire – use of as well as in incorrect, since as well as assigns a lower weight to the second factor; He gave equal importance to both the factors and that is why, the use of ‘and’ an equality marker is appropriate. 2. And also is redundant.

C. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire – giving equal status to his illiteracy and his desire is strategically incorrect

D. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature as well as in the arts was himself an illiterate and that he was driven by his desire --- as well as is inappropriate. 2. Equal treatment o illiteracy and his desire is wrong as in C.

E. that the founder of the Carolingian renaissance in literature and the arts was himself an illiterate and that his desire drove him ---- Same strategic error as in C and D; In addition the expression that ‘his desire drove ‘ changes the meaning.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 19:27
I believe that A is incorrect.
renaissance in literature and IN the arts - preposition IN should be present, otherwise the sentence is completely illogical. only answer choice D presents the correct form. all others have major errors based on which can be eliminated. and/as well as - is basically the same.

A can have 2 meanings:

founder of Carolingian renaissance
and founder of the arts - which is completely illogical

founder of renaissance in literature and in the arts. - correct, but A doesn't have the preposition.

souvik101990, please make sure the question does not have a typo.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 22:48
mvictor wrote:
renaissance in literature and IN the arts - preposition IN should be present, otherwise the sentence is completely illogical. only answer choice D presents the correct form. all others have major errors based on which can be eliminated. and/as well as - is basically the same.

A can have 2 meanings:

founder of renaissance in literature and in the arts. - correct, but A doesn't have the preposition.

Can you point out the typo?

This is a Kaplan question I believe.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 23:01
souvik101990 wrote:
mvictor wrote:

A can have 2 meanings:

Can you point out the typo?

This is a Kaplan question I believe.

the correct answer should have the preposition IN before "the arts", otherwise the meaning is:
the founder of:
a) carolingian renaissance
b) the arts
which is illogical and incorrect.
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 00:25
Quote:
the correct answer should have the preposition IN before "the arts", otherwise the meaning is:
the founder of:
b) the arts
which is illogical and incorrect

You do have a point and i must concede that this question is missing this point . you see "AND" is a RIGHT HANDED PARALLEL marker so by that standards the preposition "IN" must have been there, after all "founder of arts" does not make sense where as "founder of the Carolingian renaissance in the arts" makes sense

But please note that with that correction, A still will be the answer.
D has some serious egregious problem in respect to parallelism in the later part of the sentence.
Board of Directors
P
#Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 07:15
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
the founder of:
b) the arts
which is illogical and incorrect

You do have a point and i must concede that this question is missing this point . you see "AND" is a RIGHT HANDED PARALLEL marker so by that standards the preposition "IN" must have been there, after all "founder of arts" does not make sense where as "founder of the Carolingian renaissance in the arts" makes sense

But please note that with that correction, A still will be the answer.
D has some serious egregious problem in respect to parallelism in the later part of the sentence.

I agree that other answers are flawed, yet this subtle "error" makes me believe that neither of the answers is correct.

as well as -> same as Not only X, but also Y.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 23:29
I am really confused between a and c. I marked c just because of "that" "that". I thought this combination is parallel.
Any detailed solution please?
Re: #Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jul 2018, 23:29

#Top150 SC: Contemporary accounts of the life of Charlemagne crowned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap