Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [13]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The winds that howl across the Great Plains not only blow away valuabl [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
"Cause" is a verb here, so it could in theory be parallel to "blow." The main parallelism problem in C is with "they." Whatever comes after "but also" should match what came after "not only," so we want a verb, not a pronoun. As for "cause," the problem I see with it (other than that it should be accompanied by "to," as you said) is that using "damage" as a verb would be more direct. Why say "cause damage to" when we can just say "damage"?

In any case, that's the last thing I would look at on C. The other problems are much more glaring. What it comes down to is that C makes no sense, so depending on how we read it we will see different errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The winds that howl across the Great Plains not only blow away valuabl [#permalink]
Kudos
Very easy question...
not only X, but also Y... X and Y must be parallel.
So, the correct answer is D.

P.S. - I did this question in 26 seconds :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
850. The winds that howl across the Great Plains not only blow away valuable topsoil, thereby reducing the potential crop yield of a tract of land, and also damage or destroy young plants.
(A) and also damage or destroy
(B) as well as damaging or destroying
(C) but they also cause damage or destroy
(D) but also damage or destroy
(E) but also causing damage or destroying

Easy one!

The winds that howl across the Great Plains not only blow away valuable topsoil, thereby reducing the potential crop yield of a tract of land, but also damage or destroy young plants.

Correct answer is undoubtedly option (D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"Cause" is a verb here, so it could in theory be parallel to "blow." The main parallelism problem in C is with "they." Whatever comes after "but also" should match what came after "not only," so we want a verb, not a pronoun. As for "cause," the problem I see with it (other than that it should be accompanied by "to," as you said) is that using "damage" as a verb would be more direct. Why say "cause damage to" when we can just say "damage"?
In any case, that's the last thing I would look at on C. The other problems are much more glaring. What it comes down to is that C makes no sense, so depending on how we read it we will see different errors.

AndrewN EducationAisle EMPOWERgmatRichC
I have 2 basic doubts.
1) If "cause" is a verb, then why E is wrong? In E, blow and causing maintain correct parallelism. I think D is more concise than E. Is my understanding correct?
2) Can we consider 2 different tense (blow and causing) parallel? As per my understanding, v-ing should be parallel to v-ing.

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
I have 2 basic doubts.
1) If "cause" is a verb, then why E is wrong? In E, blow and causing maintain correct parallelism. I think D is more concise than E. Is my understanding correct?

Not sure I get your question. E does not use cause and hence it's wrong :) .

Quote:
2) Can we consider 2 different tense (blow and causing) parallel? As per my understanding, v-ing should be parallel to v-ing.

causing is a participle and participles do not necessarily have a tense associated with them.

For example:

Peter is causing pain.

Peter was causing pain.

Notice that both sentences use causing, but while the first sentence is in present, the second is in past. In other words, the presence of causing is not really determining the tense of the sentence.

If your question however, is that can the various parts of a parallel structure be in different tenses? Then the answer is yes. For example:

Peter was born poor but is now doing extremely well.

Here, the parallelism is:

Peter was...and is..
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
AndrewN EducationAisle EMPOWERgmatRichC
I have 2 basic doubts.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, Sneha2021. I agree with what Ashish wrote above in response to your query. To follow up in my own way, I will add that I have seen zero cases in which a simple present verb, such as blow, has been considered parallel to its -ing counterpart when parallelism is being tested. It is better to play it safe and look for matching simple present verbs or participles. (Note that VERB-ing and VERB-ed phrases have appeared in parallel in a few tougher questions, but the majority of the time, VERB-ing goes with VERB-ing.)

Thank you for thinking to ask me, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sneha2021,

With a quick scan of the Answers, we can immediately see 2 potential 'clues' as to what's going on in this SC:

First, the 'second half' of the phrase "not only.... but also" appears in some of the answers, so THAT phrase is something too look for in the construction of the sentence. Second, all 5 answers imply that we're dealing with a 2-part phrase of some kind, meaning that Parallelism will almost certainly be involved.

In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we see "....not only...." so we can eliminate Answers A and B. The usage of the word "they" in Answer C is redundant (since the prompt is describing the various effects of the "The winds...."), so that Answer can also be eliminated. Between Answers D and E, we clearly have different Verb structures, so we just need to locate what we have to 'parallel' in the non-underlined portion; that's the word "...blow....", so Answer E is out.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The original sentence has a parallelism issue because it uses "not only" without a corresponding "but also." To correct this, we need to make the sentence grammatically parallel. Let's evaluate the answer choices:

(A) and also damage or destroy

This option maintains the non-parallel structure. It should be "not only...but also," so this choice is incorrect.
(B) as well as damaging or destroying

This choice also fails to correct the parallelism issue. It uses "as well as" which is not parallel to "not only...but also." It should be "not only...but also," so this choice is incorrect.
(C) but they also cause damage or destroy

This option introduces the word "they," which is not necessary and makes the sentence wordy. Additionally, it uses "cause damage or destroy," which is not concise. It should be "not only...but also," so this choice is incorrect.
(D) but also damage or destroy

This choice correctly uses "but also" to create a parallel structure: "not only...but also." It also uses the concise "damage or destroy." This option is grammatically correct and clear.
(E) but also causing damage or destroying

This choice introduces the word "causing," which is not necessary and makes the sentence wordy. It should be "not only...but also," so this choice is incorrect.
The correct answer is (D):

"The winds that howl across the Great Plains not only blow away valuable topsoil but also damage or destroy young plants."
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts