Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Word Problemsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619139 [22]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [8]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The research funds of a certain company were divided among three depar [#permalink]
IMO C
Y has greatest proportion
3 to 5 to 1.5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Re: The research funds of a certain company were divided among three depar [#permalink]
I will solve this with imaginary number to make is easy

We are asked to find who got the highest are?

Statement 1: X/Y = 3/5, we don't know the value of Z. i.e. not sufficient

Statement 2 X/Z = 2/1, this statement does not have any information for Y i.e. not sufficient

Statement (1)+(2):

X/y = 3/5 = 30/50

X/Z = 2/1. If X=30, then x/z = 30/15

Which means, X= 30, Y = 50 and Z = 15.

Y got the highest. Answer C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
(1) The research funds received by departments X and Y were in the ratio 3 to 5, respectively.
X : Y = 3 : 5 | For every $3x received by department X, department Y receives $5x. Since we
have no information about the funds received by department Z, we can't say for sure which of
the three departments gets the maximum funds Insufficient

(2) The research funds received by departments X and Z were in the ratio 2 to 1, respectively.
X : Z = 2 : 1 | For every $2y received by department X, department Z receives $y. Since we
have no information about the funds received by department Y, we can't say for sure which of

When we combine the information present in both the statements,
X:Y = 3:5 and X:Z = 2:1 -> X:Y:Z = 6:10:3. We can clearly see that
the department Y gets the maximum funds (Sufficient - Option C)

hello pushpitkc :-) hope you are having a cool summer weekend :)

have some questions

\(\frac{3x}{5y}\) \(\frac{2x}{1y}\)

so here i see a common value - i mean X so i mupltiply 3x by 2x and 5y by 2x so i get \(\frac{6x}{10y}\) after this i got confused i bit

two questions how did you get 3 here 6:10:3

and how did you assign values X:Y:Z = 6:10:3 respectively ?

Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [4]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
dave13 wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
(1) The research funds received by departments X and Y were in the ratio 3 to 5, respectively.
X : Y = 3 : 5 | For every $3x received by department X, department Y receives $5x. Since we
have no information about the funds received by department Z, we can't say for sure which of

(2) The research funds received by departments X and Z were in the ratio 2 to 1, respectively.
X : Z = 2 : 1 | For every $2y received by department X, department Z receives $y. Since we
have no information about the funds received by department Y, we can't say for sure which of

When we combine the information present in both the statements,
X:Y = 3:5 and X:Z = 2:1 -> X:Y:Z = 6:10:3. We can clearly see that
the department Y gets the maximum funds (Sufficient - Option C)

hello pushpitkc :-) hope you are having a cool summer weekend :)

have some questions

\(\frac{3x}{5y}\) \(\frac{2x}{1y}\)

so here i see a common value - i mean X so i mupltiply 3x by 2x and 5y by 2x so i get \(\frac{6x}{10y}\) after this i got confused i bit

two questions how did you get 3 here 6:10:3

and how did you assign values X:Y:Z = 6:10:3 respectively ?

Hey dave13

You seemed to have missed something here:
Statement 1 - X:Y is 3:5(3x:5x) | Statement 2 - X:Z is 2:1(2y:y)

To make the ratios equal, we multiply the first ratio by 2 making X:Y (6:10) - (if x = 2)
Similarly, we multiply the ratio obtained in the 2nd statement by 3, X:Z (6:3) - (if y = 3)
Now, the common ratio [X : Y : Z] - 6:10:3 on combining both the statements

Hope it clears your confusion!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The research funds of a certain company were divided among three departments, X, Y, and Z. Which one of the three departments received the greatest proportion of the research funds?

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(DS05338)

case 1: x:y = 3:5 -> x earns less than y, but they give no info about z, insufficient
case 2: x:z = 2:1 -> x earns more than z, but they give no info about y, insufficient

combining 1 and 2: y earns more than x and x earns more than z, so y earns the greatest proportion of the research funds, sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
The research funds of a certain company were divided among three departments, X, Y, and Z. Which one of the three departments received the greatest proportion of the research funds?

(1) X/Y=3/5

5X=3Y Insufficient.

(2) X/Z=2/1

X=2Z; Insufficient.

Considering both:
5X=3Y
5*2Z=3Y
10Z=3Y

Thus, 3Y=5X=10Z Sufficient.

The answer is C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(DS05338)

(1) X:Y=3:5 No Informaiton about Z; Insufficient.

(2) X:Z= 2:1 No Informaiton about Y; Insufficient.

Considering Both:

Multiplying (1) by 2; X:Y=6:10

Multiplying (2) by 3; X:Z= 6:3

So, Y has the largest portion. Sufficient.

The answer is C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM