Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 10:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620742 [220]
Given Kudos: 81729
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14679 [217]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32171 [23]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
General Discussion
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1781 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: According to the laws of this nation, individuals are minors until the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
According to the laws of this nation, individuals are minors until they reach the age of eighteen, although this is less in some countries and more in others.

A. although this is less in some countries and more in others
B. but this age is lower in some countries; higher in others
C. although in some countries, it is lower and in others it is higher
D. although it is less than that in some countries and more than that in others
E. but the relevant age is lower in some countries and higher in others

SC83751.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

The word 'although' implies that the second part of the sentence should somehow contradict the logic of the first part (e.g. ...minors until eighteen, even though they can drink from sixteen).
Thus the usage in (A), (C) and (D) is wrong and all are eliminated.
(B) is wrong as the semicolon makes no sense (Which independent clauses are separated? Why use a semicolon at all?).

(E) is correct.

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 26 Apr 2019, 16:59.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 03 May 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2165 [6]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: According to the laws of this nation, individuals are minors until the [#permalink]
Kudos
Damn, how did you get the 2020 questions so quick?!

According to the laws of this nation, individuals are minors until they reach the age of eighteen, although this is less in some countries and more in others.

B. but this age is lower in some countries; higher in others <--not sure why "higher in others" is separated from what this is intending to modify
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8816 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

A. although this is less in some countries and more in others- pronoun issue- this needs to followed by a noun
B. but this age is lower in some countries; higher in others- pronoun issue 'this age' illogically refers to the age of eighteen, usage of semicolon is incorrect
C. although in some countries, it is lower and in others it is higher- pronoun issue 'it'
D. although it is less than that in some countries and more than that in others - pronoun issue 'it'
E. but the relevant age is lower in some countries and higher in others- Correct

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.99
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Lower & Higher are comparative adjectives. Don't we need "than" ? I did not select E, because it doesn't have "than"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Shweta, you are absolutely correct about the requirement of than, except that than is implied here.

So, it's like this:

James earns $100k, while Michelle earns lesser.

This is equivalent to:

James earns $100k, while Michelle earns lesser (than James).

I believe you chose D. The big issue with D is the incorrect use of it (it is not referring to anything, a big no-no on GMAT)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7637 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
If we look at the distinction between ‘although’ and ‘but’ we can get ahead of this question.

The intent here is to show contrast – to juxtapose two different laws.

‘Although’ works when something that follows resolves an earlier statement.

‘But’ helps to show contrast and is more fitting here since there is no contradiction given.

Let’s look at the options:

Eliminate Options A, B, C and D.

Option B is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
AjiteshArun GMATNinja chetan2u

I totally agree with answer choice E, it is the best of the given options, but just out of curiosity, I am kinda thinking about option C. I know that although in option C makes much less sense than but in option E does, but I am interested in the pronouns “it” and “that” in option C. .. Can’t “it”refer back to “age” and “that” refer back to the number “18”. All the explanations above state that “it” refers back to “age of eighteen” ie “age” along with its modifier/prepositional phrase “of eighteen”. Is this some kind of preference/ rule that the pronoun will refer back to entire “noun+prepositional phrase” and not just the noun?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4664 [2]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
INSEADIESE wrote:
AjiteshArun GMATNinja chetan2u

I totally agree with answer choice E, it is the best of the given options, but just out of curiosity, I am kinda thinking about option C. I know that although in option C makes much less sense than but in option E does, but I am interested in the pronouns “it” and “that” in option C. .. Can’t “it”refer back to “age” and “that” refer back to the number “18”. All the explanations above state that “it” refers back to “age of eighteen” ie “age” along with its modifier/prepositional phrase “of eighteen”. Is this some kind of preference/ rule that the pronoun will refer back to entire “noun+prepositional phrase” and not just the noun?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Hi INSEADIESE,

I don't think that we can use an it to refer to eighteen here. Just to be clear, I am not aware of any rule that says we can't, but the way eighteen is used here is slightly different from the way you may be looking at it. Eighteen is often used to refer to the number {18}, but that is not the case in age of eighteen. That is, "the age of eighteen" is not "the age of {the number eighteen}".

Again, this is not based on any rule, and I may be completely wrong here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 386
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM

Let’s jump to find out the right option out of wrong options
A. If this is considered as age , then age can’t be measured as less or more. Less or more can be used to measure any quantity
B. Semicolon is irrelevant here. There is no meaning for that independent clause - higher in others
C. There is no comma before ‘and ‘ . In others it is higher - Seems awkward
D. Again same error as in A
E. The relevant age- no ambiguity. Lower and higher- correct measurements for age.
So, E is right answer

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Send PM
According to the laws of this nation, individuals are minors until the [#permalink]
Hello Experts,
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

1) Is Age countable or uncountable?
I thought less is correct instead of lower.
Can you explain why lower or higher is correct in this sentence? Can we use lower or higher without than?

2) I think although and but both are correct. Is my understanding correct?

3)Why D is incorrect? Why "it" can't refer to age?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
Hello Experts,
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

1) Is Age countable or uncountable?
I thought less is correct instead of lower.
Can you explain why lower or higher is correct in this sentence? Can we use lower or higher without than?

2) I think although and but both are correct. Is my understanding correct?

3)Why D is incorrect? Why "it" can't refer to age?

Hello Sneha2021,

We hope this find this well.

Having gone through the question and your queries, we believe we can resolve your doubts.

1) Age is uncountable, and for this reason "lower" is correct. Both "lower" and "higher" can be used without "than", if they are not being used to compare elements.

2) "although" and "but" both show contrast, but convey slightly different meanings. "although" carries the connotation of "despite the fact that", while "but" does not.

3) D is mainly incorrect due to the use of "although" for the reason mentioned above.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [3]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos