Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Strengthenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2151 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [6]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
Re: Airline: Newly developed collision-avoidance systems, although not ful [#permalink]
Looks simple C ..or did I fell in the trap?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Airline: Newly developed collision-avoidance systems, although not ful [#permalink]
ashkrs wrote:

thats what im worried about too !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I think C too, the others seem to either weaken or are irrelevant. What's the OA?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
C

The assumption: the collision-avoidance system has more disadvantages than advantages

(C) ... will enable ... to avoid some crashes, ... will cause even more crashes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
C. as malfunction will result in more accidents.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
C for me.

Pilots have objection towards not-fully-tested systems and anything that will show that the not-fully-tested systems are inefficient will strengthen pilots' objection.

(C) does that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
ashkrs wrote:

thats what im worried about too !

Hmm A just says device may (because of use of possible in the stem) malfunction (so the system may not work as expected) so at best neutralize the +ve effects of new systems, however C gives us a reason to believe that systems at present have problem. so C wins over!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2977 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
This appears to be a OG question. I saw it on mba.com. Here is the official explanation:

Choice C states that what the pilots think could happen is likely to happen. Thus, C is the best answer.

Choice A is inappropriate because it says nothing about the malfunctions that most concern the pilots – those that might mislead. Nor does A distinguish tested from not-fully-tested systems.

Choice B is inappropriate. The only outcome of using insufficiently tested equipment that might strengthen the pilots’ objection is an unfavorable one, but B reports on a favorable outcome.

Choice D is inappropriate because it mentions a problem that needs to be addressed whether or not the collision-avoidance systems are installed immediately.

Choice E is inappropriate because it provides no evidence that any malfunctions were of a sort to mislead pilots and cause crashes.

Can a moderator tag this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
JCLEONES wrote:
Airline: Newly developed collision-avoidance systems, although not fully tested to discover potential malfunctions, must be installed immediately in passenger planes. Their mechanical warnings enable pilots to avoid crashes.

Pilots: Pilots will not fly in planes with collision-avoidance systems that are not fully tested. Malfunctioning systems could mislead pilots, causing crashes.

The pilots’ objection is most strengthened if which of the following is true?

(A) It is always possible for mechanical devices to malfunction.

(B) Jet engines, although not fully tested when first put into use, have achieved exemplary performance and safety records.

(C) Although collision-avoidance systems will enable pilots to avoid some crashes, the likely malfunctions of the not-fully-tested systems will cause even more crashes.

(D) Many airline collisions are caused in part by the exhaustion of overworked pilots.

(E) Collision-avoidance systems, at this stage of development, appear to have worked better in passenger planes than in cargo planes during experimental flights made over a six-month period.

Choice C states that what the pilots think could happen is likely to happen. Thus, C is the best answer.

Choice A is inappropriate because it says nothing about the malfunctions that most concern the pilots – those that might mislead. Nor does A distinguish tested from not-fully-tested systems. Choice B is inappropriate. The only outcome of using insufficiently tested equipment that might strengthen the pilots’ objection is an unfavorable one, but B reports on a favorable outcome. Choice D is inappropriate because it mentions a problem that needs to be addressed whether or not the collision-avoidance systems are installed immediately. Choice E is inappropriate because it provides no evidence that any malfunctions were of a sort to mislead pilots and cause crashes.

I would like to add to the explanations of option A.

Pilot's reasoning is based on causality [ A ( malfunctioning) causes B (crashes)]
Now, for any causality A causes B, any option that strengthens the cause or effect alone is usually wrong.

For example:
Sleepless nights cause headaches in the morning.
This claim is not strengthened by this option:
I had a sleepless night. ( it's just a statement)
OR by
I have a headache this morning.

But if I say,

last night I did not get sleep, and I feel my head is aching today.

This option stregnthens our argument now.

Hope this explanation helps. This is as generic as it gets. It's true for any causal relationship.

Regards,
Rishav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Quote:
Airline: Newly developed collision-avoidance systems, although not fully tested to discover potential malfunctions, must be installed immediately in passenger planes. Their mechanical warnings enable pilots to avoid crashes.

Pilots: Pilots will not fly in planes with collision-avoidance systems that are not fully tested. Malfunctioning systems could mislead pilots, causing crashes.

Our airline concludes that all these new collision safety systems need to be installed ASAP because it will lead to less crashes!

The pilots are arguing that they won’t follow through unless all the machinery is tested…(because who trusts machines that haven’t had a test run? Also, I would want data too. I’m not flying a plane with 100s of passengers with a faulty system). The pilots support their conclusion by stating that malfunctions are misleading (and I don’t blame them). We need an answer choice that proves that this is true.

Well, if it is always possible for devices to malfunction, then the point of the full test might not even be worth it….if malfunctions happen anyway. Let’s hold it though. Coming back to this (C) is better…this discusses mechanical devices too generally. We want the distinction between the FULLY-TESTED and the NON-FULLY TESTED. And I could see the airlines using this as a justification against the pilots.

(B) Jet engines, although not fully tested when first put into use, have achieved exemplary performance and safety records.
This would actually strengthen the airline’s argument.

(C) Although collision-avoidance systems will enable pilots to avoid some crashes, the likely malfunctions of the not-fully-tested systems will cause even more crashes.
This restates the pilot’s concern.

(D) Many airline collisions are caused in part by the exhaustion of overworked pilots.
This would strengthen the airline’s argument….they’re probably use this as a justification against the pilots.

(E) Collision-avoidance systems, at this stage of development, appear to have worked better in passenger planes than in cargo planes during experimental flights made over a six-month period.
This is irrelevant. We don’t care about the distinction between the efficacy of the test on passenger v. cargo planes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM

(C) Although collision-avoidance systems will enable pilots to avoid some crashes, the likely malfunctions of the not-fully-tested systems will cause even more crashes.(Correct)

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
OFFICIAL GMAT EXPLANATION

Choice A is inappropriate because it says nothing about the malfunctions that most concern the pilots – those that might mislead. Nor does A distinguish tested from not-fully-tested systems. Choice B is inappropriate. The only outcome of using insufficiently tested equipment that might strengthen the pilots’ objection is an unfavorable one, but B reports on a favorable outcome. Choice D is inappropriate because it mentions a problem that needs to be addressed whether or not the collision-avoidance systems are installed immediately. Choice E is inappropriate because it provides no evidence that any malfunctions were of a sort to mislead pilots and cause crashes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Without reading all the answer choices. C is a direct strengthener.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts