Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 20:09 It is currently 02 May 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30845 [30]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 284
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Re: Questions that test your understanding of Negation [#permalink]
    I. Assume that you’re dealing with a segment of 100 people. Following are the number of people from this set who do a particular job, job X. For each statement below, determine which all groups can it fall under; for instance, the statement 0 people do X falls under Group A. None = 0, Group C. Not more than half = 0-50, and Group E. Not all = 0-99.

i. Only 1 person does X. [B]Some

ii. Only 50 people do X. [C]Not more than half

iii. Only 70 people do X. [D]Most

iv. 100 people do X. [F]All

A. None
      B. Some
      C. Not more than half
      D. Most
      E. Not all
      F. All

II. In the following table, map the elements of the first column to their exact matches in the second column

Some = 1 - 99
Most = 50 - 100
Not all = 0 - 99
Up to half = 0 - 49

III. For each of the given statements, choose the correct negation form(s) from the option statements.

1. Given statement: The room is dark.
        a. The room is bright.
        b. The room is not bright.
        c. The room is anything but bright.
        d. The room is anything but dark.
        e. The room is not dark. CORRECT

2. Given statement: The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        a. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is lower than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        b. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is low.
        c. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        d. The per-minute charge of a call not made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        e. The per-minute charge of a call made from a cell phone is high.
        f. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is not higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone. CORRECT

3. Given statement: The buildings in Oakville are stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
        a. The buildings in Oakville are as weak as the buildings in Cottonville.
        b. The buildings not in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
        c. The buildings in Oakville are weaker than the buildings in Cottonville.
        d. The buildings in Oakville are not as strong as the buildings in Cottonville.
        e. The buildings in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville. CORRECT
        f. The buildings not in Oakville are not as strong as the buildings in Cottonville.
        g. The buildings in Oakville are as strong as or weaker than the buildings in Cottonville.

Please find my answers marked above.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
ankushbagwale wrote:
egmat wrote:

These problems test your understanding of the concepts of Negation and Sample Spaces. Give these problems a try and post your answers below as a reply.[/b][/size]

I. Assume that you’re dealing with a segment of 100 people. Following are the number of people from this set who do a particular job, job X. For each statement below, determine which all groups can it fall under; for instance, the statement 0 people do X falls under Group A. None = 0, Group C. Not more than half = 0-50, and Group E. Not all = 0-99.

i. Only 1 person does X.

ii. Only 50 people do X.

iii. Only 70 people do X.

iv. 100 people do X.

A. None
      B. Some
      C. Not more than half
      D. Most
      E. Not all
      F. All

Here :
i. Only 1 person does X. ( Belongs to B.(Some), C. (Not more than half) & E.(Not All) )

ii. Only 50 people do X. ( Belongs to C.(Not more than half), B.(Some) & E.(Not all) )

iii. Only 70 people do X. ( Belongs to D.(Most), B.(Some) & E.(Not all) )

iv. 100 people do X. (Belongs to B.(Some) & F.(all))

egmat wrote:

II. In the following table, map the elements of the first column to their exact matches in the second column

Some: 1-99
Up to Half: 0-49
Most:50 -100
Not All: 1-99
[color=#0000ff]

egmat wrote:

III. For each of the given statements, choose the correct negation form(s) from the option statements.

a. The room is bright.
        e. The room is not dark.

2. Given statement: The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        a. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is lower than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        c. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        d. The per-minute charge of a call not made from a landline is higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.
        f. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is not higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.

3. Given statement: The buildings in Oakville are stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
        b. The buildings not in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
        e. The buildings in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.f. The buildings not in Oakville are not as strong as the buildings in Cottonville.
        g. The buildings in Oakville are as strong as or weaker than the buildings in Cottonville.

Please let me know if my understanding of NEGATION is correct.

Is the option for Most correct ? In my opinion, Most should be 51-100, not 50-100. Please let me know if there is any gap in my understanding.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 348 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Ans
I. i. Only 1 person does X. - B,C,E

ii. Only 50 people do X. - B,C,E

iii. Only 70 people do X. - B,D,E

iv. 100 people do X.-B,D,F

II. Some - 1-99
Up to half - 0-49
Most - 50-100
Not all - 0-99

III 1. d,e
2. f
3.e,g
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Assume that you’re dealing with a segment of 100 people. Following are the number of people from this set who do a particular job, job X. For each statement below, determine which all groups can it fall under; for instance, the statement 0 people do X falls under Group A. None = 0, Group C. Not more than half = 0-50, and Group E. Not all = 0-99.

i. Only 1 person does X.- Group B, C,E

ii. Only 50 people do X. - GROUP B, C, &E

iii. Only 70 people do X.-GROUP B,D & E

iv. 100 people do X. - GROUP B, D & F.

A. None
B. Some
C. Not more than half
D. Most
E. Not all
F. All
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
a. The room is bright.
e. [b]The room is not dark.[/b]

f. The per-minute charge of a call made from a landline is not higher than the per-minute call charge made from a cell phone.

e. The buildings in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
f. The buildings not in Oakville are not as strong as the buildings in Cottonville.

Vikram verma
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
    i. Only 1 person does X. - B (some); C (no more than half); E (not all)

ii. Only 50 people do X. - B (some); C (not more than half); D (most); E (not all)

iii. Only 70 people do X. - B (some); D (most); E (not all)

iv. 100 people do X. - B (some); C (most); F (all)
Nevertheless, the question II has information that comes in contradiction to information in Q I.

Some is 1-100. Nevertheless here is given 1-99. e-gmat pls explain.
up to half - 1-49. Here is 0-49. e-gmat pls explain.
most - 51-100. here is 50-100. e-gmat pls. explain
not all - 0-99.

d. The room is anything but dark. - this is the same as the room is not dark
      e. The room is not dark

e. The buildings in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.
      g. The buildings in Oakville are as strong as or weaker than the buildings in Cottonville. - this is the same as saying the buildings in O are not stronger than the buildings in C. If the buildings are not stronger, logically, they should be either as strong or weaker.

Taking into consideration the ambiguous information presented, I ask e-gmat to come to clarify and to give OA/OE to the questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Questions that test your understanding of Negation [#permalink]
mvictor wrote:

ii. Only 50 people do X. - B (some); C (not more than half); D (most); E (not all)

Nevertheless, the question II has information that comes in contradiction to information in Q I.

not all - 0-99.

e. The room is not dark

g. The buildings in Oakville are as strong as or weaker than the buildings in Cottonville. - this is the same as saying the buildings in O are not stronger than the buildings in C. If the buildings are not stronger, logically, they should be either as strong or weaker.

Taking into consideration the ambiguous information presented, I ask e-gmat to come to clarify and to give OA/OE to the questions.

I do not understand why for question III. (3) c is not correct- The buildings in Oakville are weaker than the buildings in Cottonville. This is polar opposite of the gven statement so why is it not the correct negation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Dear Payal

My question pertains to III. C

why are options c and d incorrect ?

C is the polar opposite of the given statement.( The buildings in Oakville are weaker than the buildings in Cottonville)

D The buildings in Oakville are not as strong as the buildings in Cottonville. D implies that Oakville buildings are not stronger than Cottonville, in fact they are not even as strong as Cottonville--> same as Oakville buildings not stronger than Cottonville.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
mvictor wrote:

not all - 0-99.

e. The room is not dark

hey , can you clarify this statement =ii. Only 50 people do X. - B (some); C (not more than half); D (most); E (not all), in this you wrote most but the range for most is 51-100 then how only 50 can be in this range .
please explain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Q.1

i. Only 1 person does X. - B, C, E

ii. Only 50 people do X. - B, C, E

iii. Only 70 people do X. - B, D, E

iv. 100 people do X. - B, D, F

Q.2

This is where I found some of the options rather confusing since they differ from the possibility range given by e-GMAT in the Negation article.

Some - 1 to 99
Up to half - Should be 0 to 50 (but the option mentions 0 to 49)
Most - Should be 51 to 100 (but the option mentions 50 to 100)
Not all - 0 to 99

Q.3

Given statement:

The room is dark.

e. The room is not dark.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Lawl, I am fairly sure the person who posted this post isn't really Payal from e-GMAT. Probably someone else from e-GMAT.

There are two issues:

1) Where's the solution verification/discussion at?

2) Up to Half: 0-50
Some: 1-100
Not All: 0-99

I really like the Negation Lesson e-GMAT posted but mods should consider removing this post..because if someone read this first before the actual negation post...it's gonna do MORE HARM than good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
egmat

Thanks for the post. Please provide the correct answers.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
I. i- B. some
ii- C. Not more than half
iii.- D. most
iv - F . All

II.SOME - 1 TO 99(Isn't this range 1 to 100?)
Up to half - 0 to 49(Isn't this 0 to 50?)
Most - 50 - 100(The range according to the article is 51 to 100)
Not all - 0-99

III.
1.e. The room is not dark

2.f. The per minute charge of a call made from a landline is not higher than the per minute call charge made from a cell phone

3.b. The buildings in Oakville are not stronger than the buildings in Cottonville.

These are my answers. Is there any answer key against which we can check and evaluate our responses?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts