Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [3]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32914 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Help GMAT Club Decide: How to Determine RC Difficulty [#permalink]
Option 1.

Please upload hard official LSAT and Official GRE passages in SCIENCE (We really lack good Biology and Marine related passages), BUSINESS, and Social Science . They are very few or maybe I am done with all of them

bb request you to ask carcass to upload official GRE RC and LSAT RC here !!!!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thank you!

Can you please clarify what you mean by make them bigger?

Thanks!

Nipungupta9081 wrote:
i'll go with 1st option bb

Also can we have a timer for RC passages as a whole like we have for Individual Questions?

Can we make RC texts loook bigger just like we get in GMAT Offline? :)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Can we put passage reading timer for the RC question as well? Its quiet difficult to comprehend time along with solving questions?

Other than that, I guess we need a more elaborated answers or the official solution for the problems. There are discussion for some particular questions, but not really have any standard parameter to evaluate the understanding of one's passage. Can we work on RC solutions too?

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bb,

Great initiative, as we have lately seen a lot of posts asking for the difficulty level of each question. I would prefer option 1 to handle the overall RC passage difficulty, but would the length or the ease in reading of the passages be a part of this average as sometimes the passages can be easy and questions difficult and vice versa or the average would be based just on the level of questions.

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Send PM
Help GMAT Club Decide: How to Determine RC Difficulty [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bm2201 wrote:
Hi bb,

Great initiative, as we have lately seen a lot of posts asking for the difficulty level of each question. I would prefer option 1 to handle the overall RC passage difficulty, but would the length or the ease in reading of the passages be a part of this average as sometimes the passages can be easy and questions difficult and vice versa or the average would be based just on the level of questions.

Thanks.

Thank you. Whatever methodology we come up with, it would need to be driven by numbers. So average difficulty of the passage would be just taking all the questions and averaging a difficulty. Unless there is a way to come up with measuring difficulty of the actual passage. If not it would be the average of all questions difficulties.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
bb wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
Hi bb,

Thanks.

Thank you. Whatever methodology we come up with, it would need to be driven by numbers. So average difficulty of the passage would be just taking all the questions and averaging a difficulty. Unless there is a way to come up with measuring difficulty of the actual passage. If not it would be the average of all questions difficulties.

Oh, so would it possible to have a separate tag for the level of the passage and a separate tag of average of overall difficulty of the questions. Like currently we have tags as Long passage, short passage, similarly if tags for the read of the passage could be introduced, and the user who posts can add those as tag as well. As in that case, even if that tag doesn't have a number, it could still show the level whether passage was a hard or an easy read. Not sure if that is possible.

Thanks.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Hi bb I was just about to suggest what bm2201 suggested above -
"separate tag for the level of the passage and a separate tag of average of overall difficulty of the questions"

I can only talk about myself and I found out that with abstract/harder to comprehend passages, I needed some sort of note taking strategies - more of a mind map. And currently we do not have the means to filter these passages out in GC.

Also regarding the difficulty level of passages, I think it should not be a simple average of the numbers. Rather some sort of logic should be there, for example - a passage is 700+ level if it has more than three 700 level questions. This will filter out oddities and dodgy questions skewing the RC in a particular group.

yashikaaggarwal regarding passage timer, what I do is start the timer of the first question while I am reading the passage. This works fairly well for me. I think the problem if we do implement reading timers is that it 'stands out' in the error log.

One more point regarding formatting, RC formatting is not ideal. We need to implement a system where we can give line breaks. And also we need a separate column entry for line numbers. I do not think I explained myself clearly, but what I am trying to say is the line numbers should not with the text. Further to the formatting, the iOS app RC formatting does not work well - the questions appear after the passage.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
I would prefer option 1.

Also, in GMAT Club's RCs, once a question is answered the result is shown before one moves into next question. Knowing the result of the question that one has just answered do influence accuracy while attempting remaining questions.
It would be great if there is a toggle button, which when turned on will enable one to see the results only after attempting all the questions of a RC.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
I think the question difficulty level should be selected as per the accuracy of answering one question because sometimes the difficulty level doesn't justify the question. for instance - in the attachment below, the difficulty level should be 700+ given only 16% were able to get the answer right.
For starters, we can put the difficulty level tag according to the given passage source, and alter its tag later according to the average accuracy of all questions.
Attachments

Screenshot (442).png
Screenshot (442).png [ 32.34 KiB | Viewed 2593 times ]

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pemathew wrote:
I would prefer option 1.

Also, in GMAT Club's RCs, once a question is answered the result is shown before one moves into next question. Knowing the result of the question that one has just answered do influence accuracy while attempting remaining questions.
It would be great if there is a toggle button, which when turned on will enable one to see the results only after attempting all the questions of a RC.

Sorry, I have gotten a bit distracted with the Master's Spotlight (feverishly looking for other excuses) :blushing:

I think this is a good suggestion to add to the RC forum, not showing the answers until all questions have been answered. I will need to check with our developers to see if this is possible, I am sure we can figure something out....
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts