GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 06:11
Dear All

I am in the crises situation where I had to change my consultant in the last minute. The quality of the essay was bad, I spent tonnes of money. I had applied to 2 schools in the last month so have some material prepared.

My question is if working with a new admission consultant dedicated for 2 straight weeks - would it help you in reaching the application goal- or I should reconsider the process altogether, perhaps work only with a family member who knows me and create my own essays.

I know the answer to these questions really vary from person to person, but hoping to come across stories where people managed to pull through the crises.

Feeling lost and numb :?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 652
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 06:23
1
GmatBawse wrote:
Dear All

I am in the crises situation where I had to change my consultant in the last minute. The quality of the essay was bad, I spent tonnes of money. I had applied to 2 schools in the last month so have some material prepared.

My question is if working with a new admission consultant dedicated for 2 straight weeks - would it help you in reaching the application goal- or I should reconsider the process altogether, perhaps work only with a family member who knows me and create my own essays.

I know the answer to these questions really vary from person to person, but hoping to come across stories where people managed to pull through the crises.

Feeling lost and numb :?



Would you mind sharing the name of admission consultant firm?
Expert Post
ARLee Consulting
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 113
Location: Spain
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 07:19
I understand the quality of the essays has not been that good, but as you mentioned, you already have some material prepared. So definitely, there is still time to put some winning applications during these two weeks. I have worked with clients on tight deadlines before so I know for sure it is possible.

Whether with a consultant or not, it depends.

I know you were not satisfied with your previous one, but if you feel you still learned from him, give a try on your own.

Otherwise, try to work with another consultant, but don't pay for full school packages. Rather, pay by the hour. Since you have done so much so far, I don't think you would need that many hours and you won't spend again thousands of dollars.

I don't know how many applications you have left, but you could work with a consultant for one or two applications, and for the rest of applications, just apply what you have learned from him/her and work on them by yourself.

Good luck!
_________________

Image

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Skype: alexruizlee
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:37
Thank you for the reply .

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to share the company's name.

I feel I have ended up wasting so many office leaves on a bad strategy and poor quality essays. This feeling of being unprepared in 2weeks run upto the deadlines, see all your previous days hardwork brought to nought really brings you the blues. I didn't have good feeling since the starting of the consulting services. My doubts were confirmed when I showed the esays to two alumni of the school i was applying to. They were shocked that it was even approved by the company consultant.

I dont really blame the consultant, it is possible she is good but the effort didn't show in my work, or probably she was overburdened by the many clients she has and couldn't devote enough time. But it feels unfair when this is happening to you, esp. when you have paid shitloads.

Fortunately, I have some good essays created from previous applications,that was based on feedback from alumni and own connects, without the Company's help. And I had taken the company's services in hope to leverage that good work. I have to fall back on that - sadly considering letting go of one ambitious school to strategize application for schools that are 20 days away.

I am going to talk to a new consultant the company has offered to save my application. Will keep posting on how that experience goes - just to make sure another person who is in the same situation as me knows better, is not gullible.

So often only the positive reviews are highlighted by gmatclub, it is difficult to bring out the negative ones that are really important as well.

Everyone fails to see the other side of the story.
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 142
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:54
1
Hi GmatBawse, I am in a similar situation as you, but not because of a bad consultant. I had not previously used a consultant but decided to hire one last minute to submit Rd2 applications. So far, I am impressed by what a good consultant offers and while the cost is a tough sell for such a short period of service, I think the consultant has focused my writing and identified issues. I may have been able to fix these on my own but it would have taken much more time brainstorming, re-reading, and revising. The consultant helps expedite the process by giving you feedback and saves time, which is at a premium right now. You will still need to dedicate most of your time over the next week and half on your apps and the consultant cannot do everything (like write your apps), but a good one will help you maximize your time.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 72
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 330 Q161 V169
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:56
GmatBawse wrote:
Thank you for the reply .

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to share the company's name.

I feel I have ended up wasting so many office leaves on a bad strategy and poor quality essays. This feeling of being unprepared in 2weeks run upto the deadlines, see all your previous days hardwork brought to nought really brings you the blues. I didn't have good feeling since the starting of the consulting services. My doubts were confirmed when I showed the esays to two alumni of the school i was applying to. They were shocked that it was even approved by the company consultant.

I dont really blame the consultant, it is possible she is good but the effort didn't show in my work, or probably she was overburdened by the many clients she has and couldn't devote enough time. But it feels unfair when this is happening to you, esp. when you have paid shitloads.

Fortunately, I have some good essays created from previous applications,that was based on feedback from alumni and own connects, without the Company's help. And I had taken the company's services in hope to leverage that good work. I have to fall back on that - sadly considering letting go of one ambitious school to strategize application for schools that are 20 days away.

I am going to talk to a new consultant the company has offered to save my application. Will keep posting on how that experience goes - just to make sure another person who is in the same situation as me knows better, is not gullible.

So often only the positive reviews are highlighted by gmatclub, it is difficult to bring out the negative ones that are really important as well.

Everyone fails to see the other side of the story.


Why aren't you "allowed" to share the company's name? Did you sign a confidentiality agreement? :?

That said, this is all the more reason to leave an honest review of the consultant on the GMAT reviews page.

I hope things go well for you!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 14:24
Filthydelphia wrote:
Hi GmatBawse, I am in a similar situation as you, but not because of a bad consultant. I had not previously used a consultant but decided to hire one last minute to submit Rd2 applications. So far, I am impressed by what a good consultant offers and while the cost is a tough sell for such a short period of service, I think the consultant has focused my writing and identified issues. I may have been able to fix these on my own but it would have taken much more time brainstorming, re-reading, and revising. The consultant helps expedite the process by giving you feedback and saves time, which is at a premium right now. You will still need to dedicate most of your time over the next week and half on your apps and the consultant cannot do everything (like write your apps), but a good one will help you maximize your time.

Keep us posted on how it goes.


Hey when did you hire your consultant? how long was the service they provided?

So I was offered a new consultant as remedy. I had an intro chat with her.

She seems much better than the previous consultant. Given the circumstances, she is recommending me to leave out the second school due in 2 weeks work on only one school (due in 2 weeks) + 2 schools (due in 3 weeks). Better thought process, she is reviewed as well. But I am upset about being at this place with the consulting firm, putting thousands of dollars for consulting service of 3 weeks doesn't make sense at all - especially when they have put me in a position that I need to leave out a school now.So still considering whether to go ahead with these guys.
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Joined: 02 Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 16:02
Hi there,

Am sorry to hear about your situation - if I can help in any way let me know. Please note that unlike other consulting firms that pair you with a consultant who they think will be the best fit (and who are primarily working part-time/may be less experienced), this is my full time role. More information on my hourly services can be found here (ask about our discounts!): https://www.ivygroupe.com/work-with-us. Also, here is a link to my bio: https://www.ivygroupe.com/founder-ceo. If it would be helpful, feel free to reach out at info@ivygroupe.com.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)
_________________

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Website: https://www.ivygroupe.com
Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Expert Post
ARLee Consulting
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 113
Location: Spain
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 17:34
I wonder why they are recommending you to leave that school out. After all, it's not like you have to start everything from scratch. At least, the thought process should already be there. I'm very curious.

I do believe at this stage there is still time to put together a winning application.

Could you share which school is it? If you feel more comfortable, you can PM me or send me an email directly.

Best of luck!
_________________

Image

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Skype: alexruizlee
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 142
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 16:09
GmatBawse wrote:
Filthydelphia wrote:
Hi GmatBawse, I am in a similar situation as you, but not because of a bad consultant. I had not previously used a consultant but decided to hire one last minute to submit Rd2 applications. So far, I am impressed by what a good consultant offers and while the cost is a tough sell for such a short period of service, I think the consultant has focused my writing and identified issues. I may have been able to fix these on my own but it would have taken much more time brainstorming, re-reading, and revising. The consultant helps expedite the process by giving you feedback and saves time, which is at a premium right now. You will still need to dedicate most of your time over the next week and half on your apps and the consultant cannot do everything (like write your apps), but a good one will help you maximize your time.

Keep us posted on how it goes.


Hey when did you hire your consultant? how long was the service they provided?

So I was offered a new consultant as remedy. I had an intro chat with her.

She seems much better than the previous consultant. Given the circumstances, she is recommending me to leave out the second school due in 2 weeks work on only one school (due in 2 weeks) + 2 schools (due in 3 weeks). Better thought process, she is reviewed as well. But I am upset about being at this place with the consulting firm, putting thousands of dollars for consulting service of 3 weeks doesn't make sense at all - especially when they have put me in a position that I need to leave out a school now.So still considering whether to go ahead with these guys.


If you make time over the next week, there's no reason why you can't do 2 schools due in 2 weeks. I would not reduce the schools just so that it would be easier for the consultant. Did you agree to a contract for a certain number of schools or is this hourly?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 02:05
So I have decided to fire the consulting firm, take help of my family friend to help with the process.
The firm has been considerate enough to refund my money on condition of keeping the screwup confidential. The new consultant seemed great but I just couldn't trust the firm and their intent.

My lesson is: as the application asks, its better if we become our own writers, create our stories, and rather rely on the alumni and friends for feedback/editing. I am not sure how this goes but I will strive to become a good writer - someone who can write editorials like NYtimes, Newyorker. Maybe take up Judy Blume, Hollywood scriptwriting courses in Masterclass. :D
I had really strong concepts in essays, where it falls short of is poor editing by the consultant.

I had decided to make the $6000+ investment in hope of getting coaching to be a better writer. Guys, this investment is really not worth it. I can tell you by experience, even the reputed firms with highest number of review on Gmatclub have few good consultants + some really bad consultant. They have their own strategies of shutting out negative reviews and the goofup they do with someone's precious labor of love.

That firm which you see with 300+ reviews, 4.9/5 rating- yes that one also had bad reviews which it managed to shut out, only let glowing praises be shown to the gullible applicants.

Gmatclub - I would request you to please provide an option to view the negative reviews of the companies as well. Just like Amazon. When I tried going through negative reviews of companies, it takes a lot of effort to dig them out. And these are the reviews that need to be highlighted. Provide an option to see the best and worst reviews of the company.

You would have no way of knowing what kind of consultant has been assigned to you, how much bandwidth the consultant has. That consultant probably has 10 more clients with him, has not gone through all the notes you provided him, is really not dedicated to the cause. The firm also has no QUALITY CHECK PROCESS, or a 2nd manager who can overlook the work of the primary consultant. This is really a SHAM and consultants who are making a business out of our doubts and fear.

Trusting your story to a consultant is too big a risk. In my case, the company instead of helping me achieve my dream has actually been a dreamkiller. Rather put stakes on your own self, be your own hero and in the process hone your own writing skills that will help you further in the B school.
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

Expert Post
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1293
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:29
I'm sad to learn of this experience. Did you review the previous essays and contact references? I feel like so many applicants are intimidated by this process and they just back away from doing the due diligence. So candidates make sure to investigate someone thoroughly before forking over thousands of dollars. Will this new person still be charging you or is this to make up for the crappy essays? To be honest I'm really not sure who would be available right now who has a reputation for quality work. I've had to turn away dozens of people and I'm sure that I'm not alone on that. I think I would actually recommend that you crowdsource this by creating a team of people who will review your essays and give you feedback. And then hire an essay editor, maybe. If there's any chance you could focus on European schools that have a January term I would do that or of course if there's any chance of it, waiting until R1. Working with a consultant is important but only if they are good and there will be a lot more availability after round 2 deadlines have elapsed.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1293
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:33
@gmatbawse didn't see your most recent response until now. I'm so so glad that they are refunding your money.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:53
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I'm sad to learn of this experience. Did you review the previous essays and contact references? I feel like so many applicants are intimidated by this process and they just back away from doing the due diligence. So candidates make sure to investigate someone thoroughly before forking over thousands of dollars. Will this new person still be charging you or is this to make up for the crappy essays? To be honest I'm really not sure who would be available right now who has a reputation for quality work. I've had to turn away dozens of people and I'm sure that I'm not alone on that. I think I would actually recommend that you crowdsource this by creating a team of people who will review your essays and give you feedback. And then hire an essay editor, maybe. If there's any chance you could focus on European schools that have a January term I would do that or of course if there's any chance of it, waiting until R1. Working with a consultant is important but only if they are good and there will be a lot more availability after round 2 deadlines have elapsed.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com


Thanks Farell, its not so much about the money as about being in this disoriented state of mind just 10 days before application. Applying to top schools requires mental sharpness and really positive attitude.
R1 of next year is too risky as I have already applied to 2 schools (on my own) and hope to complete all applications this round itself, my recommenders have been notified and requested to fill recommendations. So time is now, also since I am in government, another 6 months would not give me and edge in terms of gain of skills, and I would be applying as a 28+ yr old, which decreases chances.
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:56
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I'm sad to learn of this experience. Did you review the previous essays and contact references? I feel like so many applicants are intimidated by this process and they just back away from doing the due diligence. So candidates make sure to investigate someone thoroughly before forking over thousands of dollars. Will this new person still be charging you or is this to make up for the crappy essays? To be honest I'm really not sure who would be available right now who has a reputation for quality work. I've had to turn away dozens of people and I'm sure that I'm not alone on that. I think I would actually recommend that you crowdsource this by creating a team of people who will review your essays and give you feedback. And then hire an essay editor, maybe. If there's any chance you could focus on European schools that have a January term I would do that or of course if there's any chance of it, waiting until R1. Working with a consultant is important but only if they are good and there will be a lot more availability after round 2 deadlines have elapsed.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com


I had spoken to some HBS alumni who highly recommended the company, also there were good reviews and I went by the brand name. How can you review the previous essays?

except for INSEAD not applying to other EU school as I need more exposure and hope to do MBA from a new continent.
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2016
Posts: 92
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 04:15
More update: need to wait till next month. Hours actually spent till now would be calculated, deducted from total money and only then reimbursed. :/
_________________

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!


I can and I will- watch me.

Re: Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 04:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Trainwreck : New consultant two week run-upto the application deadline

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hatakekakashi, gmatexam439

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.