Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [84]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [22]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [7]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A) For thieves, a cargo is valuable only if it is easy for them to dispose of profitably. Passage does not mention disposing off stolen goods. Its possible that the theft is on behalf of someone else

B) Some insurance companies charge less to insure cargoes transported in trucks protected by the device. Irrelevant. There is nothing about insurance mentioned in the passage

C) Most stolen trucks are eventually found, but unless a stolen truck is found very soon after it is taken, the likelihood that the trucking company will recover any of its cargo is very low. Passage only mentions that trucks are recovered but not the time period.

D) Thieves generally avoid trucks belonging to trucking companies that are known to have installed the device in a large proportion of their trucks. If an company has installed devices in 50% of its fleet the thieves will choose not to target the trucks. So even if only trucks transporting valuable goods have the device thieves will think twice before going after a truck which has low value cargo.

E) The manufacturer of the device offers a five-year warranty on each unit sold, a longer warranty than any that is offered on any competing antitheft device. Irrelevant. Device warranty doesnt mean thieves wont target a truck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [2]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:
Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a serious problem. A new device produces radio signals that allow police to track stolen vehicles, and the recovery rate for stolen cargo in trucks equipped with the device is impressive. The device is too expensive to install in every truck, so we plan to install it in half of our trucks. Using those trucks for the most valuable cargo should largely eliminate losses from theft.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the trucking company owner's expectation about the results of implementing the plan?

A) For thieves, a cargo is valuable only if it is easy for them to dispose of profitably.

B) Some insurance companies charge less to insure cargoes transported in trucks protected by the device.

C) Most stolen trucks are eventually found, but unless a stolen truck is found very soon after it is taken, the likelihood that the trucking company will recover any of its cargo is very low.

D) Thieves generally avoid trucks belonging to trucking companies that are known to have installed the device in a large proportion of their trucks.

E) The manufacturer of the device offers a five-year warranty on each unit sold, a longer warranty than any that is offered on any competing antitheft device.

CR29940.02

Most strongly supports ??: choose the best available option supporting the owner's conclusion

Pre thinking: Thieves won't steal Cargo of owner.

A)Not inline with prethinking:
Cargo need not be disposed of by thieves . Maybe they are transporting it as a whole to someone Or maybe they will use it for themselves.
BUT how is it even related to device and conclusion of owner ??( Generally Even if it is HARD to dispose of X.. if they really can do so at ?)

B)So wt losses may be still high if thieves stole trucks!

C)Found or lost time : irrelevant

D)LARGE proportion ?? we know 50% (I doubt this, lets see) . OK But the result is " Thieves won't steal". Let's see if we have any better option.

E)Warranty ? :lol: warranty for device ? seriously Out of scope: nowhere near the galaxy

So, though a bit doubtful, I can see no other better option than D

Therefore our answer is D

Don't correct my grammar it's not SC :tongue_opt3 . I m being concise. :)

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja

Could you please help with option D. how does 50% correspond to large proportion ?

Really struggling to pick this option as correct one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a serious problem. A new device produces radio signals that allow police to track stolen vehicles, and the recovery rate for stolen cargo in trucks equipped with the device is impressive. The device is too expensive to install in every truck, so we plan to install it in half of our trucks. Using those trucks for the most valuable cargo should largely eliminate losses from theft.

P : Device help to recovery the stolen cargo in trucks equipped with the device
P : The device will be installed in half of the trucks since it is expensive
C : Using trucks with device in transporting most valuable cargo will eliminate losses from theft.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the trucking company owner’s expectation about the results of implementing the plan?

A. For thieves, a cargo is valuable only if it is easy for them to dispose of profitably.
-> Regardless of the device, the cargo in the truck will still be valuable for thieves. Thus this information neither supports nor weakens the argument.

B. Some insurance companies charge less to insure cargoes transported in trucks protected by the device.
-> Lower charge from insurance companies will provide another reason to install the device. However, this information does not directly touch the relation between installing the device and eliminating losses from theft.

C. Most stolen trucks are eventually found, but unless a stolen truck is found very soon after it is taken, the likelihood that the trucking company will recover any of its cargo is very low.
-> The premise has noted that device helps to recover stolen cargo. Thus this information does not weaken nor strengthen the argument. Moreover, still 50% of the trucks will not have devices and if stolen, cargos inside those trucks will be lost. The objective of the company's representative is to eliminate losses from theft not reducing. Thus this answer choice cannot be the answer.

D. Thieves generally avoid trucks belonging to trucking companies that are known to have installed the device in a large proportion of their trucks.
-> Correct. By installing 50% of trucks with most valuable cargo, thieves will gradually get to know that the truck of the company has the device equipped, thus avoid stealing trucks from the company.

E. The manufacturer of the device offers a five-year warranty on each unit sold, a longer warranty than any that is offered on any competing antitheft device.
-> Warranty is not the concern in this question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Trucking company owner: Theft of trucks containing valuable cargo is a [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - Want to understand, what inferences I can make with (c).

From (c) -- we realize MOST STOLEN TRUCKS are recovered anyways. So what is the point of the device then, if everything is eventually found ?

According to (c) -- we learn that : the truck have to be recovered VERY SOON.

Now from the free info / free premises, we find that "Recovery rate for stolen cargo in trucks equipped with the device is impressive"

So if I combine information from (c) + information from the free info ==

I infer (ONLY WITH OPTION C) --> the device helps in recovery trucks QUICKLY

I cant make the underlined inference when I move onto to OTHER OPTIONS, similar to a DS question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM