GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck v INSEAD?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which is the better school?

• 39% [25]
  • 60% [39]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.63
Tuck v INSEAD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 08:03
I am in the fortunate position of having to decide between two great, but very different schools. I have spent five years working in politics and tax consulting, and have spent two of those five years in Paris, which is where I am now. I am looking to switch over to management and strategy consulting, and ultimately probably want to return to France after my MBA. I got a scholarship at Tuck, so the tuition cost is equivalent (although it does not cover the opportunity cost of an additional year outside the workforce).

I have always wanted to go to Tuck because I feel it is a good fit - small classes, ski sports, tight-knight community. And while INSEAD is a great school and very well-recognized in France, I fear it might (i) lack the innovative spirit that one might find at a US school like Tuck and (ii) close doors to the US if I do want to return at some point.

Having said all this, and given that I most likely will want to return to France after the MBA (where INSEAD definitively has the higher name recognition), I am wondering if I should go against my instinct and settle on INSEAD.

Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Tuck v INSEAD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 08:59
Regarding the ski resorts, Killington & Pico are not that great, so I wouldn't make that a factor to consider.

i vote INSEAD (though Booth/Kellogg admits would change the equation).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 10:08
If you want to go to MC go to INSEAD. Especially if you want to be in Europe (France is even better in this case.) Can't really do better than that.

The "no brainer" would be INSEAD. However, if the one year program is not for you, then it's not for you. I had to decide between a 1 year and 2 year myself, and figured 2 year just suited me better.

Just realize Tuck is not well known in Europe. You can obviously still accomplish your goals, but career wise you will have made it slightly harder on yourself !

-C
Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 11:21
If you want to work in France post-MBA choose INSEAD.
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 14:30
I have voted for INSEAD. It is better for your short-term goals (MC in France) and its brand is strong enough in US if you want to go back.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 04:02
Thanks guys! That is really helpful (even if INSEAD was not the answer I was really hoping for!!).
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 05:53
Your MBA school is pretty much only good for your immediate post-MBA job. If your immediate goal is to work in France, INSEAD would be the better choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 09:47
JG98110 wrote:
Thanks guys! That is really helpful (even if INSEAD was not the answer I was really hoping for!!).

Have you tried reaching out to Tuck to try to connect with current students or alumni interested in working in Europe? If you weren't actually hoping for INSEAD, then choose Tuck. It might not make recruiting as easy for you, but it is still a strong enough program that it shouldn't prohibit your ability to return to France.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 10:12
When I first read this post, I thought INSEAD immediately. Post-MBA goal of consulting in Europe, and preferably France, is normally a slam dunk for INSEAD. But if you don't want to go there? Why would you?

You only get to do one MBA. Tuck can absolutely place you at MBB in Paris. I know that Tuck had multiple MBB placements in both Europe and Asia last year. If it's the school you want to go to, then I would do it without fear that you're really shutting yourself off.

Finally, the one thing that I would do if I were you is get in touch with Stephen Pidgeon, who's in charge of consulting recruiting for the Career Development Office. Not only does he run recruiting now, but he went to Tuck and worked at McKinsey in Lordon for 4 years. He can probably give you all the info you need.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2014, 12:44
JG98110m, I am in the same boat
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2014, 04:08
welcome to the club... same issue here...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 06:40
I was wondering whether any INSEAD alumnus can share some insights into switching careers to management consulting through a 10 months program because I am a bit concerned the 10 month program won't adequately prepare me despite its strong placement in consulting.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck v INSEAD?   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2014, 06:40

Tuck v INSEAD?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste