GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tuck vs Fuqua $

• 46% [24]
  • 53% [28]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.65
Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 09:59
I was admitted to both Tuck and Fuqua. Fuqua comes with a $40k scholarship over the 2 years.

I'm looking to get into MBB in the Philly area. Tuck obviously takes the lead on that front but I wouldn't say Fuqua is too far behind.

Big benefit of Fuqua is location, I'm married with 3 dogs and my wife and I really like Durham.

Anyways, to the real question. Should I request to be reconsidered for a scholarship from Tuck? If so, how would I go about doing this? Do I mention Duke and the offer specifically? How long should I wait (both acceptances were received today).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 08:59
rdg15 wrote:
I was admitted to both Tuck and Fuqua. Fuqua comes with a $40k scholarship over the 2 years.

I'm looking to get into MBB in the Philly area. Tuck obviously takes the lead on that front but I wouldn't say Fuqua is too far behind.

Big benefit of Fuqua is location, I'm married with 3 dogs and my wife and I really like Durham.

Anyways, to the real question. Should I request to be reconsidered for a scholarship from Tuck? If so, how would I go about doing this? Do I mention Duke and the offer specifically? How long should I wait (both acceptances were received today).

I am of course biased since I am a Tuckie but we are very strong in consulting. I cannot comment on what Duke is like for partners but Tuck really is supportive. We have a very strong partners club and there is a significant percent of the class that came to Tuck with partners. Sachem Village, where a lot of the couples live, is a great community.

As for the scholarship, I honestly have no idea but there is no shame in being up front and asking. I would say that even though it seems like a lot of money now $40 over two years will not really make that much of a difference if you do get into MBB.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 09:28
Thanks Domotron. As of now I'm leaning towards Duke. It really is coming down to what my fiancee wants. I'm uprooting her entire life, so she definitely gets a great deal of say about where we end up. She would much rather live in Durham than Hanover.

I agree with you about Dartmouth Partners, they seem fantastic.

As for consulting recruiting there is definitely a larger percentage that go to MBB from Dartmouth; however, Duke has a solid presence as well, at least enough to give me the opportunity to get in front of recruiters.

Another large part of my decision is based on the people. The reception I am getting from Duke has been fantastic. I reached out to one member of the Veterans club and have since spoken to over 10 current first years. Also my interviewer, a current second year, called me to congratulate while she was on vacation. I reached out to my vet contacts at Dartmouth and haven't heard back from anyone. In their defense they are probably very busy, traveling internationally, or on spring break.

I still have a few other schools to hear from that I interviewed with next week: Yale, LBS, Cornell, Darden, UT-Austin, and Georgetown.

LBS is another school I'm very interested in, but the cost would be absolutely insane.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 09:47
For what it's worth, I hear Fuqua also has a great partners organization. I have a friend there and his wife absolutely loves the partners group. I haven't yet made it to a Fuqua Friday, but I hear that lots of partners (and kids...not sure about dogs!) join in the fun.
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 16:46
Congrats for admission in both great schools

Both schools have partner clubs. You really will enjoy the places. As you said, Fuqua is not far from Philly. The financial aspect would be one factor. and the other is class size also. Fuqua has bigger class size. So it is up to you. For your question about negotiating with Tuck, please refer to this article as it may help you

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/11/21/wh ... ship-cash/

Wish you success
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 03:23
rdg15 wrote:
Thanks Domotron. As of now I'm leaning towards Duke. It really is coming down to what my fiancee wants. I'm uprooting her entire life, so she definitely gets a great deal of say about where we end up. She would much rather live in Durham than Hanover.

I agree with you about Dartmouth Partners, they seem fantastic.

As for consulting recruiting there is definitely a larger percentage that go to MBB from Dartmouth; however, Duke has a solid presence as well, at least enough to give me the opportunity to get in front of recruiters.

Another large part of my decision is based on the people. The reception I am getting from Duke has been fantastic. I reached out to one member of the Veterans club and have since spoken to over 10 current first years. Also my interviewer, a current second year, called me to congratulate while she was on vacation. I reached out to my vet contacts at Dartmouth and haven't heard back from anyone. In their defense they are probably very busy, traveling internationally, or on spring break.

I still have a few other schools to hear from that I interviewed with next week: Yale, LBS, Cornell, Darden, UT-Austin, and Georgetown.

LBS is another school I'm very interested in, but the cost would be absolutely insane.

Completely understandable and it is really important that your significant other is happy during your time at school! I think the lack of contact you have had from your vet contacts is definitely due to Spring Break. We finished Winter term a couple of weeks ago and most of my classmates are travelling and I know at the top of my head there are vets in Japan, Georgia, India, and other places around the world at the moment. Most people will get back end of this week so hopefully you will hear from them.

As an aside, LBS is also a great school. I'm from London and I had a lot of positive interaction with that school. I would say though it may be more difficult getting to Philly from LBS just because that's not where their network is based. If you were thinking about working in Europe or Asia then LBS is a great choice. As for your other schools, by all means let the process play out but in terms of getting to where you want to be Tuck or Fuqua (and Darden) are definitely the schools that are strong in consulting.
Intern
Intern
Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 09:54
8 to 9 on the poll. That sounds about right.

edit: 9 to 9
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 17:52
First of call, congrats on having great options. I don’t think you can go wrong with either school. Fuqua Partners is a very strong partners group at Fuqua: http://fuqua.campusgroups.com/partners/contact/. They support career search for partners, as well as many partner exclusive events. I would highly recommend that your fiancée reach out to the club to get a feel of life at Durham.

Fuqua and Tuck are peer school. Both Fuqua and Tuck are core schools for MBB (at least when I was at Fuqua). Fuqua students have a more diverse industry coverage, which dilutes the consulting and finance specific placement vs. Tuck. Placement into MBB is further diluted due to Fuqua has a large ex-Deloitte student base, who get 100% tuition reimbursement if they return to Deloitte.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 14:01
asimov wrote:
First of call, congrats on having great options. I don’t think you can go wrong with either school. Fuqua Partners is a very strong partners group at Fuqua: http://fuqua.campusgroups.com/partners/contact/. They support career search for partners, as well as many partner exclusive events. I would highly recommend that your fiancée reach out to the club to get a feel of life at Durham.

Fuqua and Tuck are peer school. Both Fuqua and Tuck are core schools for MBB (at least when I was at Fuqua). Fuqua students have a more diverse industry coverage, which dilutes the consulting and finance specific placement vs. Tuck. Placement into MBB is further diluted due to Fuqua has a large ex-Deloitte student base, who get 100% tuition reimbursement if they return to Deloitte.

Agreed that both are good schools and have friends at Fuqua.

However, politely there is a significant difference in MBB recruiting. Tuck sends the highest percentage of students to MBB of any business school. The class of 2014 for instance sent over 20% of the class to MBB (57 out of 279 students). As I recall, Fuqua with a significantly bigger class (437, so over 50% bigger) sent 20-something to MBB.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 06:41
Quickly addressing 2 issues at hand -

1.) Fuqua's partners club is pretty awesome. A friend is leading it this year, and she has great things planned for the future. Also, Durham and the area around the campus is a very dog friendly place. If your partner wants to connect with someone on the inside, I will be more than happy to help her out.
2.) As Flyte said, there is a difference between the two schools for MBB recruiting. Having said that, MBB doesn't have a quota and if you are good to recruit from one school, you will get into the firms from Fuqua as well. Also, as Asimov mentioned, there are host of other factors, including a very diversified industry recruitment, that lead to fewer people going to MBB from Fuqua.

Let me know if you want more info. and hopefully, we will see you at the BDW. Good luck with your decision.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 13:48
You have a great dilemma! Both are great schools and do well in consulting recruitment. Given that you have $40K scholarship I feel Fuqua gets an extra brownie point. Also, as jumsumtak said, Duke attracts wide variety of companies and consulting recruitment is a self selecting process. So if higher percentage of Duke students decided to do MBB, they will definitely have a positive experience. Also, something to bear in mind is that people do change their mind about recruitment once they get to bschool, so access to variety of companies is nice (extra brownie point for Fuqua).

Have you already decided which school you are picking? Please share your decision and thought process. best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2015, 13:48

Tuck vs Fuqua ($), leverage scholarship?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste