Last visit was: 24 Jul 2024, 13:31 It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 13:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [16]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34584 [3]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 631 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Twice the birds as last year will migrate to the south this year. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

IMO- D....which is correct

Reasoning to eliminate E.
If we read option E.

E) The number of birds that will migrate to the south this year will be twice that of last year’s

That = The number of birds that will migrate to the south

=> The number of birds that will migrate to the south this year will be twice the number of birds that will migrate to the south of last year’s

The phrase--> the number of birds that will migrate to the south of last year’s

Here we have both-- Future tense and its also mentioning "Last Year". Therefore ELIMINATED

On the same reasoning I eliminated C

Is this correct reasoning to Eliminate E and C...??

Additionally, what is the reason to eliminate A and B.
I didn't consider A and B because D SOUNDS more correct..:)

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 631 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Twice the birds as last year will migrate to the south this year. [#permalink]
Hi chetan2u,

Just saw that u have already given your reasoning to eliminate C and E.( Redundant usage of 'of')

Is my reasoning also correct...??
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34584 [3]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Just saw that u have already given your reasoning to eliminate C and E.( Redundant usage of 'of')

Is my reasoning also correct...??

Hi,
Quote:
E) The number of birds that will migrate to the south this year will be twice that of last year’s
That = The number of birds that will migrate to the south
=> The number of birds that will migrate to the south this year will be twice the number of birds that will migrate to the south of last year’s
The phrase--> the number of birds that will migrate to the south of last year’s

Here we have both-- Future tense and its also mentioning "Last Year". Therefore ELIMINATED

The coloured portion will not be correct..
the auxiliary verb 'will' modifies/ talks of this year and cannot be faulted..
However 'as' is supposed to talk of an action, and since will is used for this year, we have to have a verb after as..
and word 'did' suitably gets that..

the reason for eliminating E and C is the usage of possessive form.. that of last year's..

The sentence could have been correct if it read..
The number of birds that will migrate to the south this year will be twice that of last year...

lets see the other choices..
A) Twice the birds as last year will migrate to the south this year.
Twice the birds in itself does not sound correct, It would be better to say twice the number of birds and also it is errorneously paralleling with last year..

However 'as' is supposed to talk of an action, and since will is used for this year, we have to have a verb after as..
and word 'did' suitably gets that..

B) This year, double the number of birds as last year will migrate to the south.
same as A... Also twice is better than double..

D) This year, twice as many birds will migrate to the south as did last year.
this is correct. it uses idiom as many as correctly
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos