GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 22:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:20) correct 55% (00:45) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty tank and only one inlet works at any point of time. How much time will it take to fill the tank completely?

1) Inlet P can fill the tank in 10 hours while working alone while Inlet Q takes 15 hours to fill the tank alone
2) Inlet P works for first hour to fill the tank

Source: www.GMATinsight.com

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:18
GMATinsight wrote:
Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty tank and only one inlet works at any point of time. How much time will it take to fill the tank completely?

1) Inlet P can fill the tank in 10 hours while working alone while Inlet Q takes 15 hours to fill the tank alone

Source: http://www.GMATinsight.com

Hi

You posted two questions yesterday of same type as below:

1) Inlet P can fill the tank in 10 hours while working alone while Inlet Q takes 12 hours to fill the tank alone

For this question according to you answer is C.

And for this question:

You have given answer as A.

Kindly clarify the doubt or I am getting it wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:29
Anurag, you have solved the sum in less than 7 seconds.. Put your pen to paper and see the difference for yourself.

Clue: In one of the 2 problem, the number of hours it will take to do the job will differ depending on who will go first.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:42
rahitgs wrote:
Anurag, you have solved the sum in less than 7 seconds.. Put your pen to paper and see the difference for yourself.

Clue: In one of the 2 problem, the number of hours it will take to do the job will differ depending on who will go first.

Hi rahitgs

yes you are right I just missed it, actually i solved these two questions consecutively that's why i overlooked the data and options.

Anyways thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 21:19
jainanurag470 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Hi

1) Inlet P can fill the tank in 10 hours while working alone while Inlet Q takes 12 hours to fill the tank alone

And for this question:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I also have the same question. Aren't both the questions same?
Also if we know the individual time taken by both the inlet pipes given, we still have to know which pipe works first right?

Can you help me understand, what am I missing ?

Thanks & Regards,
Shreekanth
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 01:22
varmashreekanth wrote:
jainanurag470 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Hi

And for this question:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I also have the same question. Aren't both the questions same?
Also if we know the individual time taken by both the inlet pipes given, we still have to know which pipe works first right?

Can you help me understand, what am I missing ?

Thanks & Regards,
Shreekanth

Hi Shreekanth

These two questions may look same on first instance but the different values will lead to different answers.
Clue: The ques in which P takes 10 hrs and Q takes 15 hrs, the time to fill the tank will be same irrespective of which inlet pipe is used first. and another clue for both the questions just take the LCM of their hrs as the full capacity of the tank to reach the conclusion(I used this method) or the common multiple for eg in 10 hrs and 15 hrs case I took 300 ltrs as the capacity of tank .

Anurag Jain

I don't mind kudos :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 01:41
Quote:
Hi Shreekanth

These two questions may look same on first instance but the different values will lead to different answers.
Clue: The ques in which P takes 10 hrs and Q takes 15 hrs, the time to fill the tank will be same irrespective of which inlet pipe is used first. and another clue for both the questions just take the LCM of their hrs as the full capacity of the tank to reach the conclusion(I used this method) or the common multiple for eg in 10 hrs and 15 hrs case I took 300 ltrs as the capacity of tank .

Anurag Jain

I don't mind kudos :)

Thanks alot now I understood the difference.
GMATH Teacher
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 15:22
GMATinsight wrote:

\(job\,\, = {\text{fill}}\,\,{\text{the}}\,\,{\text{tank}}\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,{\text{time}}\,\,\,{\text{for}}\,\,{\text{job}}\,\,\,\left( {{\text{1 - h}}\,\,{\text{alternating}}} \right)\)

(1) Sufficient:

Let´s imagine one job is defined by 30 identical tasks (30 = LCM(10,15)). From this statement, we know that:

P does 3 tasks/h
Q does 2 tasks/h

In two hours 5 tasks are done, therefore in exactly 6*2 = 12 hours we have the job (6*5 = 30 tasks) done with P or Q starting!

Obs.: check this slightly different problem when you finish reading this one...
https://gmatclub.com/forum/two-inlets-p ... 77483.html

(2) Insufficient:

If each inlet fills the tank in 2h, then ? equals 2h.
If each inlet fills the tank in 3h, then ? equals 3h.

The correct answer is therefore (A).

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.

Fabio Skilnik :: http://www.GMATH.net (Math for the GMAT)
Course release PROMO : finish our test drive till 31/Oct with (at least) 60 correct answers out of 92 (12-questions Mock included) to gain a 60% discount!

GMAT Club Bot
Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 15:22

Two inlets P and Q are working on alternate hour for filling an empty

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap