GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jan 2019, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 16:19
Please let me know your thoughts on which offer I should accept:
Admitted to both Ross and Johnson with full tuition scholarships at each.
I work in corporate strategy at a large asset manager, but want to transition into Private Equity (or take the nuclear option and do Investment Banking first).
I'm waitlisted at Chicago Booth, which I will take if admitted, but I still need to deposit at either UMich or Cornell.

Some things to note:
I went to Cornell undergrad, not sure if I should go back or pick the new network at Ross
I'm well aware PE recruiting is an off campus ordeal and that it will be super tough from both schools.
I'll have my CFA by matriculation
To get a head start, I'm aiming to spend this summer interning at a private equity firm or possibly at my current firm on our private investments team.

Thanks,
S
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 16:29
Congratulations on your admits and fantastic job with Scholarships! I hope Booth converts you with an offer... though even then, I don't know that you can beat a full scholarship. PE is better at Booth but never a walk in the park.

I feel Ross is a stronger and better represented program in many ways - reputation, recruiting, and visibility. In y our personal situation, I don't believe either one has an edge in PE recruiting - it is pretty much off campus but $$$ takes the edge off and compensates you for having to deal with that crap. Ross would offer a new perspective and a new network. It also takes away some of the awkewardness when you meet people in your program and you have a guy from Japan, a woman from South Africa, and then they ask what about your story, and you just basically went to school right there. It is a small funny thing but gets old to be the boring Joe.

Just my take. Congrats again!

P.S. I may be mistaken but somehow I felt Tuck had a hookup with PE - am I remembering wrong?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Re: UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 16:32
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits and fantastic job with Scholarships! I hope Booth converts you with an offer... though even then, I don't know that you can beat a full scholarship. PE is better at Booth but never a walk in the park.

I feel Ross is a stronger and better represented program in many ways - reputation, recruiting, and visibility. In y our personal situation, I don't believe either one has an edge in PE recruiting - it is pretty much off campus but $$$ takes the edge off and compensates you for having to deal with that crap. Ross would offer a new perspective and a new network. It also takes away some of the awkewardness when you meet people in your program and you have a guy from Japan, a woman from South Africa, and then they ask what about your story, and you just basically went to school right there. It is a small funny thing but gets old to be the boring Joe.

Just my take. Congrats again!

P.S. I may be mistaken but somehow I felt Tuck had a hookup with PE - am I remembering wrong?

Thanks! Tuck might have an edge, I didn't really consider them. I couldn't imagine myself in a place even smaller and more isolated than Ithaca...
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 16:34
sarcophilus wrote:

Thanks! Tuck might have an edge, I didn't really consider them. I couldn't imagine myself in a place even smaller and more isolated than Ithaca...

LOL. Touche! I did not consider that fact and perhaps another vote for Ann Arbor. Perhaps souvik101990 can chime in about PE - he is in Internship Purgatory at the moment, a may be a bit tied up :hurt:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 20:56
Congratulations on the great options. I would put Ross over Cornell any way, and with you having gone to Cornell for undergrad, it seals the deal even more.

When you hopefully get Booth, that will be a tough decision with the full ride in play.

Put down the deposit for Ross.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

GMAT Club Bot
Re: UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2018, 20:56

UMich Ross ($$$) vs Cornell Johnson ($$$) - end goal PE/IB

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap