GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 01:41
Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,hard
Any tricks pls?

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Re: Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 01:50
Focus on understanding the argument first. Brrak it down. List the possible flaws/ explanation or whatever the question asks for.
Take it slow, because this has to come naturally. No one but you, should be able to decipher your thoughts.
In time it will come naturally. Remember start off slow. Dont time yourself while doing this activity. It helped me. Hope it works for you. :D

Posted from my mobile device

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Orion Director of Academics
B
Re: Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 11:54
Other than to not time yourself as you're getting going (this is really important! learning a new skill under time pressure isn't going to be effective), the other thing to remember is that sometimes assumptions can be difficult to pinpoint ahead of time. If you're having a hard time finding that gap between the information given and the conclusion, sometimes the best option is to go to the answer choices and practice assumption negation. (Which answer, if negated works to weaken the conclusion?) If you can think of these questions from both ends when you get stuck, you can often get yourself "unstuck".

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
http://www.learnwithorion.com

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 12:43
It's okay if you can't predict the exact correct answer (although trying to predict some possible correct answers is a great exercise to do when you practice.)

All you really have to do is predict what the right answer will do. Here's a simple example:

I saw Brie getting out of a BMW in the parking lot yesterday. She must have a lot of money.

Suppose I saw this argument in an assumption problem. I can't necessarily predict the exact assumption, but I can remind myself of the following:

'the assumption is something that would have to be true, in order for me to conclude that Brie has a lot of money.'

Then, if these are my answer choices:

(A) Brie was wearing an expensive Rolex watch yesterday.
(B) Brie didn't steal the BMW.
(C) Brie has a high salary.

I'll be looking at these and thinking: which of these would have to be true, for me to determine that she has a lot of money?

Well, (A) and (C) help me determine that she has money, but they don't have to be true: you can have a lot of money without wearing a Rolex, or without having a high salary.

But (B) definitely has to be true, or else I can't use her car as evidence that she's rich (since it's not actually her car.)

I couldn't have predicted (B) right away, because, how am I supposed to know that we're going to start talking about car theft? ('Negative' assumptions - 'Brie didn't do this or that' - are especially tough to predict.) But I did know ahead of time that it has to play a particular role - it has to be a statement that's critical to my claim that she has a lot of money.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 12:43

Unable to prethink the assumption argument based especially medium,har

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap