Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: University of Washington Foster school [#permalink]
FYI - I got my enrolment forms in the mail yesterday. That is about a week after I was called.

Fingers - No, it does not snow in Seattle much, maybe once or twice a year. This was a freakish week. It is usually near 60 this time of year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
700 - I am pretty interested in both strategy AND east Asia... I sure hope UW is good in these areas! :-D

A couple of "FYI" for Everyone:
1) I submitted by the priority deadlines and I received my fafsa form in the mail from UW (officially denying me the stafford loans) on friday. It was one of those tiny carbon-paper envelopes like paychecks sometimes come in.
2) I got a letter in the mail from the UW grad school (not FOSTER, just the generic grad school). Anyone else get this? I thought it was funny how they said "based on Foster's recommendation I am pleased to offer you admission." So, this means that *technically* foster doesn't admit us, UW grad does. Though, I would feel like a real tool being the guy that sent out those letters. He is SUCH a rubber stamp! haha! Anyhow, it mentioned 2 things
-- Send a transcript to ANOTHER UW office (grad school, not foster)
-- Send in a $100 deposit, although "you may have sent this to your school". Does anyone know if the $100 I sent to foster was this $100?

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
700 - I am interested in finance and management consulting.

Westsider - UW emphasizes strategy and has a large number of Asian students in general. Each student is required to take two international focus courses. When my wife went there, there were several "big wigs" from Korea, Taiwan, etc. You will gain connections in several countries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
llmmll wrote:
Westsider - UW emphasizes strategy and has a large number of Asian students in general. Each student is required to take two international focus courses. When my wife went there, there were several "big wigs" from Korea, Taiwan, etc. You will gain connections in several countries.

WOOHOO!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
How would you guys rate UW in tech-consulting (IT strategy) or tech-marketig (Product Management)? Because those are the areas that I am interested in. Is there anyone else here who wants to major in Tech-strategy ?

Also, do you guys predict any dip in internships and job opportunities due to the 'recession' in the US economy ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I doubt internships will get hit too hard. The companies need them as a way to market themselves to students, and it is a short-term cost anyway. I don't see things getting so bad that they would want to jeopardize their recruiting relationship with the U in order to save a few bucks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with westsider, and I addressed the economy in my interview. I was told that in 2000 there was little to no drop off in internships and job placement.

In terms of IT - UW has just created a whole separate program for IT professionals. I am sure you can make that your focus within the full-time program. Tech is strong in Seattle because of all the technology based companies in the area.

Tech options in Seattle that I know of:
Microsoft, Hitachi, Amazon, ...
Consulting with management firms - this is a big industry, I know several of them
Healthcare industry - this is big and getting bigger
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fingers - i replied to your email. sorry it took so long, i was away from my computer for most of the weekend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your help guys ... I wonder if Apple recruits out of UW... I am a big Mac fan ! Which brings me to my second question .. will mac owners face any problems with software compatibility and stuff .. although I do have Fusion on my mac .. I was wondering if my OS X would be rendered useless ?? :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't know if Mac recruits out of UW. I know there is a Mac section out of Microsoft that hires out of UW.

There is a thread on the accepted students forum that addresses Macs at school - current students are saying that there are no problems. Although, I hear there are problems between Macs and the new MS Office products from friends. I doubt it will be an issue for long.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q51  V39
Send PM
Will you guys be attending the admit weekend on the 10-12th? I just got my admit last weekend and am wondering if I should try and make it to this one or hold off for the end of may...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It sounds like most of the people on this site will be there in April, but it is not important. I would bet that the May admit weekend will be more popular because R4 will be over, people procrastinate, and the weather will be much nicer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
llmmll wrote:
It sounds like most of the people on this site will be there in April, but it is not important. I would bet that the May admit weekend will be more popular because R4 will be over, people procrastinate, and the weather will be much nicer.

What? you don't want to enjoy a nice, friendly snowball fight? :-D

BTW - how would I upload a picture to this site to use as my icon?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
westsider wrote:
how would I upload a picture to this site to use as my icon?

download pic from web, go to user control panel, profile, edit avatar... it is clear from there
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
llmmll wrote:
700 - I am interested in finance and management consulting.

llmll,
ecouraging post right here!!! By the way have you done any research about the consulting industry in Seattle and how favoured UW is for the big consulting companies. What kind of consulting companied recruit at UW and what about the consulting internships???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
700willdo wrote:
By the way have you done any research about the consulting industry in Seattle and how favoured UW is for the big consulting companies. What kind of consulting companied recruit at UW and what about the consulting internships???

I am not sure what you are looking for, but here is what I know:

I know that PWC, Deloite, Hitachi, and other smaller firms recruit out of UW because I know people that work there. Not sure about BC and others, but you can go out and pursue them. My wife works for a heathcare management consulting firm that recruited her out of UW and she loves it for the most part. That same firm has an IT consulting group that handles healthcare IT issues. All of these firms offer internships to UW students.

There are many many consulting firms that consult for Microsoft in different capacities that recruit out of UW.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
For the out of towners: Yet another weird weather day. had about 2 hours of "snail" this evening (Snowy Hail) about 1/4-3/4" soft lumps falling. Wacky. When I moved here a year ago I was told they had a "nice spring"... My wife wouldn't lie to me - would she?! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts