It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 19:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:42) correct 28% (00:45) wrong based on 53 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese, the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago were established by Caucasians called the Ainu.

A. the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago were established by Caucasians called the Ainu

B. the settling of the Japanese Archipelago was first done by the Ainu, who were Caucasians

C. the Ainu, who established the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago, were Caucasians

D. the Ainu, as Caucasians, were the first to establish settlements in the Japanese Archipelago

E. settling the Japanese Archipelago was first done by Caucasians called the Ainu

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I could narrow down the choices to C and D. Please help me eliminate the option to get the right answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5525 [1], given: 112

Re: Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
swatygi wrote:
Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese, the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago were established by Caucasians called the Ainu.

A. the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago were established by Caucasians called the Ainu

B. the settling of the Japanese Archipelago was first done by the Ainu, who were Caucasians

C. the Ainu, who established the first settlements in the Japanese Archipelago, were Caucasians

D. the Ainu, as Caucasians, were the first to establish settlements in the Japanese Archipelago

E. settling the Japanese Archipelago was first done by Caucasians called the Ainu

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I could narrow down the choices to C and D. Please help me eliminate the option to get the right answer.

After you have narrowed down to C n D, the meaning of the original sentence can help you in eliminating D.

The original conveys that Ainu and Caucasian are the same.
D does not convey that. Usage of 'as' is not correct.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5525 [1], given: 112

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 31

GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:02
swatygi wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

"unlike" is used to compare nouns that are logically comparable. in the original sentence, "the Asian people" have been compared with "the first settlement" which is illogical. For the similar reasons we can eliminate Options A, B & E. Both options C & D now has a comparable noun "the Ainu"

In option D, however, "as Caucasians" distorts the meaning of the sentence. This now implies that "the Ainu" now assuming the role of "Caucasians" established the settlements which is incorrect.

Hence Option C

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: ND

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 212

Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 02:23
swatygi wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

A, B &E are eliminated since they are not comparing people to people

C&D are left
D changes the meaning and the purpose of the sentence
C is the correct answer

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Mathles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 212

Re: Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 02:23

Unlike the Asian people whom we now think of as Japanese

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap