GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 22:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (01:00) correct 49% (01:09) wrong based on 104 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

a. Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

b. Upon visiting the church where he knw murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

c. As he visited the church where the murder had taken place, the Duke was unnerved by the grotesque brickwork.

d. The grotesque brickwork, visiting the church, unnerved the Duke, for it was where the murder had taken place.

e. The murder having taken place in the church with the grotesque brickwork, the Duke was unnerved.

B
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 23:15
AkshdeepS wrote:
Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

a. Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

b. Upon visiting the church where he knw murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

c. As he visited the church where the murder had taken place, the Duke was unnerved by the grotesque brickwork.

d. The grotesque brickwork, visiting the church, unnerved the Duke, for it was where the murder had taken place.

e. The murder having taken place in the church with the grotesque brickwork, the Duke was unnerved.

It should contain past perfect tense as it contains a series of events. So option D and E are out. I am not very sure why A and B are wrong grammatically but grotesque brickwork cannot do the action of unnerved, So I have eliminated option A and B.

Option C is the right choice.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 23:28
smita123 wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:

It should contain past perfect tense as it contains a series of events. So option D and E are out. I am not very sure why A and B are wrong grammatically but grotesque brickwork cannot do the action of unnerved, So I have eliminated option A and B.

Option C is the right choice.

Your reasoning is correct to eliminate A and B. We need a doer after the comma who can perform the action of "visiting". That's why A and B are wrong.
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 03:53
Can you please explain between option A and C
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 04:11
aaggarwal191 wrote:

aaggarwal191

b. Upon visiting the church where he knew murder had taken place, the grotesque brickwork unnerved the Duke.

The "grotesque brickwork" can't have "visit[ed] the church." This is a modifier issue - don't be fooled by the upon!

This makes more sense!

SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 04:13
aaggarwal191 wrote:

Let us start with a simple example.

After eating the cake, the table was removed by John over which the cake was placed.

After eating the cake, John removed the table over which the cake was placed.

Both sentences feel same in daily life, but not in GMAT.

John eats the cake, so word "John" should come after the comma.

What follows after the comma must be the person/or some actionable noun, who is doing the action mentioned in the first modifying phrase.

As in the original sentence, the person who visited the church must come after the comma.

We have two nouns after the comma

1. The grotesque brick work

2. The Duke

Think, who can do the action of coming; The duke or The X brickwork

Certartainly, The Duke is the one who can visit the church. So A & B are wrong.

Now looking at option C, I believe you can easily understand why it is correct.

Pronoun "he " rightly refers to noun "The Duke". Rest of the sentence is easily understood.

Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2019, 04:13

Upon visiting the church where the murder had taken place, the grotesq

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics