GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests
URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 07:26
Hi Experts,

Don't know whether to cry or laugh at my fate. Today's was my 3rd attempt and I score a 710 again. I need your suggestions on:

1) Canceling the latest score
2) Retaking with focus on Quants

My previous scores:

1) 690 - Feb'18 ( Q49, V35, IR7)
2) 710 - Oct'18 (Q50, V35, IR8)
3) 710 - Nov'18 ( Q48, V40, IR7)

I have accepted the 3rd attempt score but I am wondering whether I should cancel it now by paying $25. I am Indian Engineer and I feel the Q48 is a let down for B-Schools. My initial though process behind keeping the latest 710 was that this score shows higher Verbal score so schools will think that my verbal isn't as weak as a V35. But counter argument is that my Q50 (last time) and V40 (this time) both were by chance.

In my prep between Oct and Nov I dedicated 90% time to verbal. I can also say that I wasn't feeling sharp in quants because of lack of practice and I made more guesses than usual. 2 days back I solved Veritas mock and scored a Q51. I have scored Q49 in 4 GMAT Prep mocks, Q50 in 1 and Q51 in one. How do I stop this see-saw between verbal and quant scores? Should I cancel this score? Should I try once more ( I am targeting Round 2 - Jan deadlines)

PS: I scored a 760 and 770 on GMAT Prep mocks in Oct'18

ScottTargetTestPrep bb GMATNinja mcelroytutoring VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry Bunuel abhimahna carcass DavidTutorexamPAL daagh EMPOWERgmatRichC
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 14:31
Hi HarshBazooka,

First off, all 3 of these are fantastic scores, so you can comfortably apply with any of them. Given the 3 options, it's worth noting that many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - so while you want to apply with a high overall Score, you also want a high Quant Scaled Score. Thus, your second Score - the 710/Q50 - is likely the best one for your applications. These are ultimately Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 02:21
HarshBazooka wrote:
Hi Experts,

Don't know whether to cry or laugh at my fate. Today's was my 3rd attempt and I score a 710 again. I need your suggestions on:

1) Canceling the latest score
2) Retaking with focus on Quants

My previous scores:

1) 690 - Feb'18 ( Q49, V35, IR7)
2) 710 - Oct'18 (Q50, V35, IR8)
3) 710 - Nov'18 ( Q48, V40, IR7)

I have accepted the 3rd attempt score but I am wondering whether I should cancel it now by paying $25. I am Indian Engineer and I feel the Q48 is a let down for B-Schools. My initial though process behind keeping the latest 710 was that this score shows higher Verbal score so schools will think that my verbal isn't as weak as a V35. But counter argument is that my Q50 (last time) and V40 (this time) both were by chance.

In my prep between Oct and Nov I dedicated 90% time to verbal. I can also say that I wasn't feeling sharp in quants because of lack of practice and I made more guesses than usual. 2 days back I solved Veritas mock and scored a Q51. I have scored Q49 in 4 GMAT Prep mocks, Q50 in 1 and Q51 in one. How do I stop this see-saw between verbal and quant scores? Should I cancel this score? Should I try once more ( I am targeting Round 2 - Jan deadlines)

PS: I scored a 760 and 770 on GMAT Prep mocks in Oct'18

ScottTargetTestPrep bb GMATNinja mcelroytutoring VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry Bunuel abhimahna carcass DavidTutorexamPAL daagh EMPOWERgmatRichC

The total score of 710 and your Quant/Verbal breakup will be acceptable at any B-school. Since your latest score showcases a V40, no point cancelling it. That said, another shot to get that 750 may not be a bad idea. You certainly seem to have it in you. Perhaps with a bit of practice on both sections simultaneously, you should be able to achieve it within a month.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 12:56
I very much agree with Rich and Karishma here. You definitely want MBA programs to see your highest quant and your highest verbal score, so there's no point in canceling.

And there's obviously zero harm in shooting for something higher, either. Since average GMAT composite scores play a role in some MBA rankings systems, you'll want to do everything you can to pull that total score up. So if you decide to retake, don't ignore the verbal section -- take those extra points wherever you can get them.

If you decide to retake, good luck with your studies!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 16:49
Top Contributor
Keep it! :) It's well-known that many B-schools "superscore" (take the best score from both Quant and Verbal), at least informally.

Achieving 2 consecutive 700-level GMAT scores is also impressive.

Good luck,

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 19:08
Hi HarshBazooka,

First off, nice work with the 710! You have a very nice GMAT score. Regarding your 3 scores, the score with the Q50 would likely look the best in the eyes of admissions, you may consider canceling your most recent GMAT and keeping your 710 from October.

With all that said, since you were able to score 760 and 770 on your GMATPrep practice exams, it may not hurt to give the GMAT one more shot. If you do decide to retake the exam, please reach back out, and I’d be happy to provide some further advice.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it? &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2018, 19:08

URGENT ADVICE..From 710 (V35) to 710 (V40) again..Accept or cancel it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap