Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [15]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Sloan '25 (A)
Send PM
Re: US News 2024 Full Time MBA Rankings Winners Losers and Problems [#permalink]
Thank you for the detailed analysis and nuanced perspectives, bb.

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time taking this ranking seriously lol. It almost feels like admit rate alone can kill its credibility. :lol: :lol:
Selectivity is certainly NOT everything, but this ranking is pretty much saying it's not anything :dontknow: :dontknow: What else can be built on such a shaky foundation lol?

For example, Tuck has been a top B-school with 30%+ admit rate for many years, and no one sane would say Tuck is not a good program because of the high admit rate. But would people say it's No. 1 or 2? Probably not, or very few would, and for more subjective reasons. The lack of selectivity will always make it a BIG stretch to claim so. Not sure why Booth and Kellogg would be held to a different standard there, not to mention their meaningfully lower yields and cross-admit win rates compared to every other M7, and both stats have stayed that way for years.

Booth and Kellogg are world class institutions, but I feel like US News is almost doing them a disservice by unnecessarily inflating them in the past few years, always with fishy "methodology changes" that leave a sour taste that somehow feels associated with the schools.

Once again, I don't mean to disrespect either school, and I understand people may have diverse, nuanced thoughts. Let's remain civil, constructive, and thoughtful if we continue the thread. :)

Source of screenshot: https://poetsandquants.com/2023/04/25/u ... a-ranking/
The article also explains how the new methodology penalizes schools with more global diversity, so it's no surprise that NYC, the Bay Area, and, to a lesser degree, Boston are more impacted.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.22.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 10.22.45 PM.png [ 204.41 KiB | Viewed 15127 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [3]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
Re: US News 2024 Full Time MBA Rankings Winners Losers and Problems [#permalink]
Kudos
In the opinion poll, "Do you prefer the OLD US News Rankings or New 2024 Rankings?"
I would recommend adding "Neither One" as an additional option. :)
Because I don't like either methodology. :P
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
0Lucky0 wrote:
In the opinion poll, "Do you prefer the OLD US News Rankings or New 2024 Rankings?"
I would recommend adding "Neither One" as an additional option. :)
Because I don't like either methodology. :P

Thank you. Done.
I had to delete the other pole and start this one new… calling all US news haters 😂😂😂

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Based on the first poll this week that was opened on the evening of April 24th, we got 250+ votes and here is the distribution.
I have opened the new voting so everyone can revote with zeal ;-)

Interesting that in some way US news may have "succeeded" at least based on this poll.

Attachment:
rankings-results.png
rankings-results.png [ 7.4 KiB | Viewed 11932 times ]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Based on the first poll this week that was opened on the evening of April 24th, we got 250+ votes and here is the distribution.
I have opened the new voting so everyone can revote with zeal ;-)

Interesting that in some way US news may have "succeeded" at least based on this poll.

Attachment:
rankings-results.png

Well, the new methodology is certainly better than the older one but ofcourse, it's still not credible at all. :P
It's like having to choose between Joe Biden and Donald Trump, you don't like either one but one is far less explosive than the other one. :P But ofcourse, didn't turn out that way and I am betting that this ranking will also sorta go like Joe Biden. :P Schools aren't gonna be happy. :P If Harvard and Stanford chose to stop recognizing this ranking and stop reporting their numbers then others would follow and pretty soon US news wouldn't have any data to base their rankings on! But I doubt that major Schools would take such a drastic step; they are gonna grumble but would learn to live with it. :P So lets see. :)

Originally posted by 0Lucky0 on 27 Apr 2023, 16:12.
Last edited by 0Lucky0 on 27 Apr 2023, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
It’s interesting that the law schools have bailed on the US news ranking’s but that has not stopped US news from ranking those law schools 😂

There is still some data reporting that US news can get publicly… and so they still use and get the data…. It is an interesting situation. I don’t think schools can request not to be rated 😱

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
It’s interesting that the law schools have bailed on the US news ranking’s but that has not stopped US news from ranking those law schools 😂

There is still some data reporting that US news can get publicly… and so they still use and get the data…. It is an interesting situation. I don’t think schools can request not to be rated 😱

lol, yea. :P But still, if the schools publicly rebuke a ranking and chose to not report data to it anymore than it will cause plenty of damage to the credibility of US News. :)
These rankings are only a small part of the overall revenue of US News so at the end of the day, attacking where it hurts can produce tangible results in the long term. :P
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72913 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:

IMO, the era of Entrepreneurship is largely over, these coming years will be the years of consolidation. The big will get bigger, a great majority of which will come from China. China will singlehandedly dominate every single technological landscape; the rest will simply twiddle their thumbs looking at China's rise (capitalism can't hold a candle to China's model, it's vastly superior; hands down). :P If I were an Entrepreneur, I would think about building a business in China somehow; would get the highest return on investment and would also have the greatest probability of success. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb, I think there should be a separate China rankings for programs and such as well just so that we know what is going on in there. I mean, we simply don't know what is good and what is bad over there, so a much more nuanced view of the scene in China would be very-very helpful to all.
I mean, China is the future king of the world, even if we don't yet realize it, and we would be amiss to not give it its fair share of visibility.
That's just my opinion though, let me know what you think.
Cheers. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
0Lucky0 wrote:
bb, I think there should be a separate China rankings for programs and such as well just so that we know what is going on in there. I mean, we simply don't know what is good and what is bad over there, so a much more nuanced view of the scene in China would be very-very helpful to all.
I mean, China is the future king of the world, even if we don't yet realize it, and we would be amiss to not give it its fair share of visibility.

I believe, to get an idea of the rankings in the correct light, one needs to understand two things- A. Who sets the rankings, B. What metrics do they use to set the rankings.

It sounds like one of those scenes from Big Bang theory where, Sheldon and Amy build a blanket fort and label it #1 for some arbitrary metric of "they don't have a batman blanket".
To understand the Chinese business school rankings, you need to ensure you're relying on the right source and the metrics that define things you value in business schools there. The local rankings, and word of mouth matters as much!

If you look at eastern schools - India, China etc., in a western lens, you'll end up missing out because I remember going to a Indian school for undergrad because the network of politicians out of that school is remarkable. No school uses that as a metric to define a supposedly "objective" (Let's just call it biased metrics) ranking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Businessconquerer wrote:
0Lucky0 wrote:

I believe, to get an idea of the rankings in the correct light, one needs to understand two things- A. Who sets the rankings, B. What metrics do they use to set the rankings.

It sounds like one of those scenes from Big Bang theory where, Sheldon and Amy build a blanket fort and label it #1 for some arbitrary metric of "they don't have a batman blanket".
To understand the Chinese business school rankings, you need to ensure you're relying on the right source and the metrics that define things you value in business schools there. The local rankings, and word of mouth matters as much!

If you look at eastern schools - India, China etc., in a western lens, you'll end up missing out because I remember going to a Indian school for undergrad because the network of politicians out of that school is remarkable. No school uses that as a metric to define a supposedly "objective" (Let's just call it biased metrics) ranking.

I absolutely agree with you! a 100%! And I also agree about that western lens, I mean I don't think India has even a 1% chance of competing against China, India is largely a westernized country--even if most westerners don't see it as such--and follows capitalism and democracy and is largely dominated by western companies.
In the next 10 years, China will not just dominate the rest of the world, but absolutely own a large part of it. It will be bigger and more powerful than the US, Europe, and India combined. :P
Western capitalism simply doesn't stand a chance against state-led capitalism where if you have the talent, the state will give you 100s of millions of dollars or even billions, simply overnight and turn you into a owner of a multi-billion dollar corporation, doing whatever latest Tech stuff. Add to that, western Venture capitalists bet big on China, helping the CCP sort out the best and the brightest to get to the top. So such a model will absolutely destroy and annihilate any corporation that capitalism comes up with. :P
So, it's just simply UNBEATABLE! BUT for the rest of us outside of China, we have absolutely zero, zilch, nada, shuniya info on what is good and bad over there. :P We simply skip out the most important and the most relevant country of this decade. :P And there is barely anyone out there helping students figure China out. So I think gmatclub could do something to change that and help us figure China out. But that's just my opinion, let me know what you think. :) Cheers :)
GMAT Club Bot