Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [22]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Using hidden cameras that are triggered by motion, reclusive animal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Using hidden cameras that are triggered by motion, reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by biologists.

a. reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by biologists
b. reclusive animals, threatened by extinction, are studied bby biologists
c. reclusive animals are studied by bilogists that are threatened by extinction
d. biologists are studying reclusive animals that are threatened by extinction
e. biologists are studying reclusive animals threatened by extinction

oa is e. how do we diffrentiate between d and e?

You can reach Answer (E) in < 15 seconds. Here's how:

Step 1) I see an -ING verb that starts the phrase and then gets separated by the comma. So I know the phrase must describe the subject of the main sentence.

Step 2) I recognize that "reclusive animals" don't "use hidden cameras" so I scan through the answer choices for other options. I see (D) and (E) mention "biologists" so I narrow it down to those 2.

Step 3) I read through both (D) and (E)--both are grammatically correct---but on the GMAT exam, if I'm choosing between two good choices---always choose the simpler one. If you can express the same thing in fewer words--why choose the longer answer choices? It's not testing me on "that" versus "which"--it's just simply testing me on whether I should include "that" at all.

In this case, go simple, and choose (E). No need to think about fancy grammar rules like "pronoun ambiguity" or "subordinate clause" or "reporting verbs."

You see? Not bad! Didn't have to think that much and still arrived at the right answer!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Send PM
Re: Using hidden cameras that are triggered by motion, reclusive animal [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
But I have a different issue with this example regarding the use of the main verb, ‘are studying”. Is it right to use a progressive tense verb for an event that seems to be the order of the day and that which seems likely to extend even in future? Isn’t the use of a simple present as biologists ‘study’ a better one than “are studying”?

So you say "biologists study" should be better than "biologists are studying"----ok sure.
But more importantly, is this what the GMAT guys are testing you on here? No! They are not asking you come up with the most optimal way of expressing an idea. They are asking you to choose the BEST option from what is available.

Since there's nothing wrong with "biologists are studying" and the option for "biologists study" does not exist in the answer choices, don't waste time thinking about alternatives choices that aren't on the exam question. Just choose the best one. That's it!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Preptime: believe, 'using' and 'studying' should be parallel, if 'using' is placed in the initial clause

Not so; you need //ism only between comparable things. ‘Using’ is a present participle while "are studying’ is a working verb. Both need not be parallel. Look at the following example (I think this is an OG question)

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy

A. Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy
B. Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device
C. Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler Ultrasound device
D. By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heartbeats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician
E. Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy

The correct answer is E. You can see that ‘using’ isn’t paralleling ‘can detect’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
pawan82 wrote:
please provide answer choices with expln.

Using hidden cameras that are triggered by motion, reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by bioligist

A) reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by biologists
B) reclusive animals, threatened by extinction, are studied by biologists
C) reclusive animals are studied by biologists that threatened by extinction
D) biologists are studying reclusive animals that are threatened by extinction
E) biologists are studying reclusive animals threatened by extinction

My answer is D.
Biologists are studying "reclusive animals that are threatened" not the whole "reclusive animals". Any specific thoughts about difference between D and E?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Capricorn369 wrote:
pawan82 wrote:
please provide answer choices with expln.

Using hidden cameras that are triggered by motion, reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by bioligist

A) reclusive animals threatened by extinction are studied by biologists
B) reclusive animals, threatened by extinction, are studied by biologists
C) reclusive animals are studied by biologists that threatened by extinction
D) biologists are studying reclusive animals that are threatened by extinction
E) biologists are studying reclusive animals threatened by extinction

My answer is D.
Biologists are studying "reclusive animals that are threatened" not the whole "reclusive animals". Any specific thoughts about difference between D and E?

I happened to guess E within 10-15 seconds. Here's how:

Step 1) "using" followed by a comma suggests that whatever follows the comma must be the one who is "using hidden cameras"

Step 2) browse own the first word of each answer choice - and only (D) and (E) make sense.

Step 3) Compare (D) and (E) - they're basically saying the same thing - nothing necessarily wrong with either. But when it comes to the GMAT, you want to choose the one that is simpler. USUALLY, that means the one that is shorter.
So at first glance, I'm tempted to choose (E). Let's read it through.

Step 4) "animals threatened by extinction" versus "animals that are threatened by extinction"
It's the same idea - and you're not really losing anything in (E) as you keep it simple.
No red flags.

So go ahead and pick (E) as your final answer and move on to the next one.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Status:Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [1]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM