GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UT Austin (McCombs) vs CMU (Tepper)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 20% [1]
  • 40% [2]
  • 40% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
UT Austin (McCombs) vs CMU (Tepper)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:54
Hello folks so I will soon have to put in deposit for CMU and while I haven't heard from my favored school yet (Cornell), I might have to make a decision between these two schools.

City wise, I have traveled to Austin and love the atmosphere there and I have never travelled to Pittsburgh so I can't say how the city is. Post-MBA location can be anywhere, I don't really care too much. Career wise, I want to tackle Consulting recruiting as it happens first and try for McK Digital, BCG Tech Advantage, or Bain Tech; if these companies don't work out then I am planning to try for Tech Product Management at a Tech firm. I've done research but I couldn't put one school over the other, could you guys please offer some advice?

Also, how would your choice change if I got into Cornell? Thank you in advance.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
UT Austin (McCombs) vs CMU (Tepper)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:51
Congratulations!

The 3 schools are close. I believe however, Johnson is the only one that has MBB recruit on campus.
However, you are in the middle of nowhere.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: UT Austin (McCombs) vs CMU (Tepper)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:53
alias11 wrote:
Hello folks so I will soon have to put in deposit for CMU and while I haven't heard from my favored school yet (Cornell), I might have to make a decision between these two schools.

City wise, I have traveled to Austin and love the atmosphere there and I have never travelled to Pittsburgh so I can't say how the city is. Post-MBA location can be anywhere, I don't really care too much. Career wise, I want to tackle Consulting recruiting as it happens first and try for McK Digital, BCG Tech Advantage, or Bain Tech; if these companies don't work out then I am planning to try for Tech Product Management at a Tech firm. I've done research but I couldn't put one school over the other, could you guys please offer some advice?

Also, how would your choice change if I got into Cornell? Thank you in advance.

I would pick McCombs even if you end up getting into Cornell. Sure Cornell has a (only slightly) better overall brand, Texas Austin is one of the top schools in the country for engineering and tech. However, the companies that you mentioned are tricky in both McCombs and Tepper. I saw the numbers at Austin last year and not a whole lot of people recruited MBB and most of them happened to do it on their own (which means additional travel, recruiting related networking etc), so Johnson might make more sense there.

Lastly, have you had any conversations with current students about consulting recruiting at these schools? It seems like you will probably start in a generalist role as opposed to the tech arm of these firms like you mentioned.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 14:22
Thanks for commenting, is McCombs really that good at tech compared to Tepper? CMU is a very strong tech school so I assumed it would be a strong school for tech placements. To your point about Consulting, yeah, the students i've spoken to thus far have mentioned that MBB typically only recruit for general positions but there are some cases where people do get into those roles if you do sufficient extra-recruitment.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 20:29
The answer to your question is... Not really.

Part of the UT's Tech placements is geography and Austin. It attracts tech folks and the Austin employers are tech heavy. It is not always about where the school places people well but also their backgrounds and where would they find a job on their own. Tepper just does not have the Tech employment base, McCombs does.

Regional schools usually have connections with local businesses, alums hiring and reaching out to the school. However, in general you are expected to do your own legwork looking for a job. It is not like a person hiring at Amazon will scoff at some one from UT but smile at the resume from Tepper, all while sitting on Ross campus interviewing candidates there.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: UT Austin (McCombs) vs CMU (Tepper) &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 20:29

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap