GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V31-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V31-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

86% (00:50) correct 14% (02:07) wrong based on 7 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The price of vehicles that do not meet the energy efficiency standards recommended by the federal government should include a surcharge fee of 10% of the vehicle's suggested retail price because the cost of dealing with the negative consequences of the emissions coming from these vehicles is borne by all taxpayers. This fee will be used by state governments to promote clean energy use. Car dealerships have come out against this idea because of the extra paperwork needed to implement the plan, but some regulations are necessary for the greater good even if they are inconvenient to some. The two sections in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument above?

A. The first is the conclusion; the second is a restatement of a piece of evidence used elsewhere in the passage.
B. The first is the conclusion; the second is a general principle that supports the conclusion.
C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a conclusion that is supported by the first conclusion.
D. The first is a premise; the second is an observation that leads to an unstated conclusion.
E. The first is a piece of evidence; the second is a conclusion that follows indirectly from the evidence in the first boldfaced statement.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V31-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:34
Official Solution:

[b]The price of vehicles that do not meet the energy efficiency standards recommended by the federal government should include a surcharge fee of 10% of the vehicle's suggested retail price because the cost of dealing with the negative consequences of the emissions coming from these vehicles is borne by all taxpayers. This fee will be used by state governments to promote clean energy use. Car dealerships have come out against this idea because of the extra paperwork needed to implement the plan, but some regulations are necessary for the greater good even if they are inconvenient to some. The two sections in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument above?[/b]

A. The first is the conclusion; the second is a restatement of a piece of evidence used elsewhere in the passage.
B. The first is the conclusion; the second is a general principle that supports the conclusion.
C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a conclusion that is supported by the first conclusion.
D. The first is a premise; the second is an observation that leads to an unstated conclusion.
E. The first is a piece of evidence; the second is a conclusion that follows indirectly from the evidence in the first boldfaced statement.

CR Box:

Bolded Statement

1) Find the ROLE of each statement The first statement is a conclusion; the second statement is a principle

2) Determine the RELATIONSHIP between the statements The second statement helps support the conclusion

The second sentence, which explains what will happen to the fee, also functions as evidence: Here's another reason that this plan is a good idea.

The third sentence gives us an objection to the plan. The final sentence, in bold, by explaining why this objection does not hurt the validity of the plan, also strengthens the plan. It, therefore, supports the conclusion; furthermore, it does so in general terms, referring to "regulations" in general rather than to this specific one.

Choice B is correct. The first statement is clearly a conclusion as it contains the word "should" and is followed by "because . . ." A statement that contains "should" is an opinion and is, therefore, a conclusion that needs to be supported by facts. The statement in the first sentence after "because" is a premise; it supports why the government should include the fee.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 3: 610 Q49 V25
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Reviews Badge
V31-04  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 02:31
Nice explanation. Easy way to solve bold faced type of questions.
GMAT Club Bot
V31-04 &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 02:31

V31-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap