GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

V32-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V32-07  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (00:38) correct 50% (00:29) wrong based on 16 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.

A. Since the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.
B. Although the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.
C. When the World War II phonetic system was replaced, female names were used to name hurricanes and tropical storms in 1953 to replace the phonetic alphabet system, which began in 1945.
D. Female names were not used to name hurricanes and tropical storms until 1953 by replacing the World War II phonetic alphabet system that was the official process that started in 1945.
E. The official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms began in 1945 and used a system based on a World War II phonetic alphabet; this phonetic alphabet system was replaced in 1953 by female names.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V32-07  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:40
Official Solution:

Since the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.

A. Since the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.
B. Although the official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms, using the World War II phonetic alphabet, began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced.
C. When the World War II phonetic system was replaced, female names were used to name hurricanes and tropical storms in 1953 to replace the phonetic alphabet system, which began in 1945.
D. Female names were not used to name hurricanes and tropical storms until 1953 by replacing the World War II phonetic alphabet system that was the official process that started in 1945.
E. The official process of naming hurricanes and tropical storms began in 1945 and used a system based on a World War II phonetic alphabet; this phonetic alphabet system was replaced in 1953 by female names.

A review of our answer choices shows we must choose where the dependent clause in the sentence should be placed, where a participial phrase (acting as an adjective) should be placed, and which subordinating conjunctions should be used.

Since the entire sentence is underlined, let's review our answer choices one at a time.

Option A has a participial phrase describing the official process of naming hurricanes (using a World War II phonetic alphabet). This adjective phrase is not essential to the meaning of the sentence and can safely be ignored for now. The prepositional phrase "of naming hurricanes and tropical storms" modifies the noun "official process." We can safely ignore this prepositional phrase since we now know what the "official process" is about. Without these modifying phrases, our sentence reads "Since the official process began in 1945, female names were not used until 1953 when the phonetic system was replaced. This sentence uses the subordinating conjunction "since." "Since," when used as a conjunction, can mean 1) "because of the fact that" or 2) "up to the present time from a time in the past." "Female names were not used up to the present time the official process began in 1945." That doesn't make much sense. "Female names were not used because of the fact that the official process began in 1945." "Female names were not used" does not make sense with either meaning of "since." This option cannot be the correct answer.

Option B is identical to Option A except it uses the subordinating conjunction "although." "Although" means "even though" or "in spite of the fact that." "Female names were not used even though the official process began in 1945." That makes sense. "Female names were not used in spite of the fact that the official process began in 1945." That also makes sense. "Although" is an appropriate subordinating conjunction for this sentence. This could be the best answer. Let's set it to the side for the moment.

Option C uses the subordinating conjunction "when." "When" means "at the time that." "Female names were used at the time that the World War II phonetic system was replaced." That makes sense. "Which began in 1945" is a non-essential relative clause describing the phonetic alphabet system, and the clause is correctly placed by the noun it is modifying. The prepositional phrase "in 1953" is awkward. It is unclear what it is modifying. Additionally, the word "replaced" is repeated in close proximity in the sentence and the term "phonetic system" is repeated as well. This sentence lacks concision and has an unclear prepositional phrase. This cannot be the best answer.

Option D used the relative pronoun "that" twice in the sentence to create essential relative clauses that modify the prepositional phrase, but they are not necessarily essential to the sentence. This creates a wordy and awkward sentence. Additionally, the prepositional phrase "by replacing the World War II phonetic alphabet system" is trying to act like an adverb modifying the action "female names were not used" by answering the question "how?" But, the prepositional phrase doesn't clearly answer how "female names were not used." This sentence is unclear and awkward. It cannot be the best answer.

Option E is two independent clauses connected by a semicolon. While there is nothing technically wrong with the sentence, it is wordy. It uses two sentences when one would suffice. It also needlessly repeats "phonetic alphabet." This cannot be the best answer.

We have successfully eliminated four answer choices. Option B is the best answer.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: V32-07  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 19:46
Though B sounds the best....I have a doubt regarding the parallelism in this option. The sentence compare..... "the official process ...." with "female names". Do we not need to take into consideration the parallelism in the cases of using 'although'?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V32-07 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 19:46

V32-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap