It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 09:01
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:20) correct 70% (01:39) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.
C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
D. People can feel secure if they are governed by laws that are not vague.
E. Only people who feel secure can know for certain whether their actions are legal.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4967

Kudos [?]: 5457 [1], given: 112

Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 21:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nightblade354 wrote:
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.
C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
D. People can feel secure if they are governed by laws that are not vague.
E. Only people who feel secure can know for certain whether their actions are legal.



Hi..

to answer this Q you have to understand WHAT exactly the following means

Quote:
makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure.


"Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure." MEANS that feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..

Now contendos here would be A and C.

lets see the two choices

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
this means EXACTLY as written above that - feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..
correct

C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
this tells us the OPPOSITE - knowing for certain... is possible on;ly when a person feels secure.. eliminate

A
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5457 [1], given: 112

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 535

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

CAT Tests
Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 04:28
chetan2u wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.
C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
D. People can feel secure if they are governed by laws that are not vague.
E. Only people who feel secure can know for certain whether their actions are legal.



Hi..

to answer this Q you have to understand WHAT exactly the following means

Quote:
makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure.


"Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure." MEANS that feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..

Now contendos here would be A and C.

lets see the two choices

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
this means EXACTLY as written above that - feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..
correct

C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
this tells us the OPPOSITE - knowing for certain... is possible on;ly when a person feels secure.. eliminate

A


Chetan-can you explain how to eliminate B? B looks to the perfect assumption to me.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 05:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
nightblade354 wrote:
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.


Option B is wrong because this states if someone does not know for certain whether his actions are legal, then he might not feel secure.
'might not' isn't a strong word.
Now it is also possible for someone who does not know whether his actions are legal but feels secure.(In which case our conclusion no more holds true)

we need an assumption that is strong and that holds the conclusion true. Hence A.

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 74

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1069

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 06:57
nightblade354 wrote:
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.
C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
D. People can feel secure if they are governed by laws that are not vague.
E. Only people who feel secure can know for certain whether their actions are legal.


Hi mikemcgarry

I can not understand the difference between choice A and C .
Initially i thought the answer is D but later chose C as D out of context .
A and C look same to me in except how they are phrased .
I am confused between these two choices .
Please help me understand question such as this .

Thanks & Regards,
Arvind
_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2498

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 02:42
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

I can not understand the difference between choice A and C .
Initially i thought the answer is D but later chose C as D out of context .
A and C look same to me in except how they are phrased .
I am confused between these two choices .
Please help me understand question such as this .

Thanks & Regards,
Arvind


Hi arvind910619 ,

This question is testing the construction If P, then Q. This construction implies ~Q --> ~P.

Any other form is wrong.

We are given If P(they donot know about legal actions), Q(they cannot feel secure).

It means only possible solution could be They feel secure --> they know legal actions.

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.

This is similar to what I mentioned above. Hence, correct.

C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.

C is saying: If ~P --> ~Q.

As I mentioned above this type of case is not valid for if P then Q construction. Hence, C is incorrect.

Does that make sense?
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2016
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:47
Why is D wrong. Please help me out.

If A happens B happens. But if A does not happened then B also didnt happnd.. So accordingly whats Wrong with D?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2498

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:50
yogesh610 wrote:
Why is D wrong. Please help me out.

If A happens B happens. But if A does not happened then B also didnt happnd.. So accordingly whats Wrong with D?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi yogesh610,

Here is the catch. What implication you drew was wrong.

If A happens, B happens

MEANS

B doesn't happen--> A doesn't happen. It is not the way you wrote.

Hence, D is incorrect.

Does that make sense?
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2016
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:54
Ohhh i got it... The IF is in he latter part... Thnkss

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 00:51
chetan2u wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
B. If people do not know for certain whether their actions are legal, then they might not feel secure.
C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
D. People can feel secure if they are governed by laws that are not vague.
E. Only people who feel secure can know for certain whether their actions are legal.



Hi..

to answer this Q you have to understand WHAT exactly the following means

Quote:
makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure.


"Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure." MEANS that feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..

Now contendos here would be A and C.

lets see the two choices

A. People can feel secure only if they know for certain whether their actions are legal.
this means EXACTLY as written above that - feeling secure is possible only when vague laws are not there..
correct

C. If people know for certain whether their actions are legal, they can feel secure.
this tells us the OPPOSITE - knowing for certain... is possible on;ly when a person feels secure.. eliminate

A


Hi Chetan.. can you help understand option C ? I narrowed it down to A and C and ultimately I picked C as its not as extreme as A. I discarded A on the logic that, there might be other factors that might contribute to the secure feeling. C and A state the same thing, however C fills the gap perfectly. Can you help me understand where did I get it wrong ??

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2498

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 02:33
anuj11 wrote:
Hi Chetan.. can you help understand option C ? I narrowed it down to A and C and ultimately I picked C as its not as extreme as A. I discarded A on the logic that, there might be other factors that might contribute to the secure feeling. C and A state the same thing, however C fills the gap perfectly. Can you help me understand where did I get it wrong ??


Hi anuj11 ,

Please try to understand the explanation given here

Let me know in case of any doubts.
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Re: Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 02:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.