Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ISB '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Verbal accuracy rate depending on question difficulty [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Feruza94,

Regarding your verbal struggles, are you having issues with all verbal topics?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Feruza94,

Your question is problematic for a couple of reasons. First, there are a variety of different Quant and Verbal Scaled Score 'combinations' that will earn you a 700+ (so you have to consider your Quant performance in addition to your Verbal performance). Second, during the Exam, it would be impractical for you to waste time trying to define the 'level' of the question that you're facing at any given moment (and you're going to see a bunch of 'Experimental' questions in each section that do not count towards your Score - so you can afford to get ALL of those questions wrong).

If you're ultimately looking to improve your results (whether from CATs/mocks or from a prior Official GMAT), then before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Feruza94 wrote:
at 700 my accuracy is disastrous. I get 40-50% at most and spend tons of time on them.

This is not the problem; this is just the symptom.

The problem is conceptual. What resources have you been accessing so far?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Verbal accuracy rate depending on question difficulty [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Feruza94 wrote:
Hi guys! I’ve been practicing Verbal on and off, and I came up with this question. What is accuracy rate I should strive for in Verbal section depending on question difficulty to get 700+? I get 90-100% of questions of 500 difficulty, 70-80% of questions of 600 difficulty, but at 700 my accuracy is disastrous. I get 40-50% at most and spend tons of time on them. Any suggestions on how to improve (or whether I do need to improve)?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Feruza94,

Accuracy is not the right parameter to focus on. Instead, I suggest you to focus on the process. Once you learn the right process to solve questions, then I don't think you need to worry about the difficulty level of the question. Please go through the below article to know more.

Accuracy is not the king, Skill is!

And as you are struggling with Verbal, I think you need to change your approach of preparation. You can go through the recording below to understand the right way to prepare for GMAT Verbal.

Having said that, I can help you in a better way if you can provide me a few more details about your GMAT preparation such as:

• your current study strategy
  • your weak areas in Verbal
  • your approach towards solving questions

You can write back to me here but I personally prefer a zoom conference call as it will help me to analyze your approach of solving questions, identify the flaw in your approach if any and then suggest you what to work on. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Feruza94.

This post discusses in depth how to prepare for GMAT verbal, why people don't get harder questions correct, and what to do in order to increase your accuracy on harder questions.

How to Score High in GMAT Verbal

It'll be a game changer for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Feruza94 wrote:
Hi guys! I’ve been practicing Verbal on and off, and I came up with this question. What is accuracy rate I should strive for in Verbal section depending on question difficulty to get 700+? I get 90-100% of questions of 500 difficulty, 70-80% of questions of 600 difficulty, but at 700 my accuracy is disastrous. I get 40-50% at most and spend tons of time on them. Any suggestions on how to improve (or whether I do need to improve)?

But isnt 50 % correct on the 700-level questions quite decent. I am not sure but it sounds as if you have a chance to score 40+ on verbal. Or what do the experts think? I also get like 50 % correct of the 700-level CR-questions and about 75 % correct of the 700-SC questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeap, took mock a couple of days later after this post and scored V38, with most of my mistakes is SC, because I barely practiced it. So I will take another mock soon and will let you know what the stats are)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Feruza94 wrote:
Yeap, took mock a couple of days later after this post and scored V38, with most of my mistakes is SC, because I barely practiced it. So I will take another mock soon and will let you know what the stats are)

Well done anyway without practising SC. It is my strongest part of the verbal section. I will take the real test on thursday without any mocks or anything in preparation. CR drives me crazy sometimes, but otherwise I just need to have a good day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SC has rules that we can apply. CR is the craziest for me too. I hate CR. Best of luck on your test! Share your results!

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Feruza94 wrote:
SC has rules that we can apply. CR is the craziest for me too. I hate CR. Best of luck on your test! Share your results!

Think of CR as a puzzle. You have to think of it as a game. If you say, it is crazy or it is terrible or I hate it, then you setting yourself up to not win at the end since you will be close minded to the nuance that CR requires. THere are definitely some annoying things in CR such as bold-face questions. I dislike them but I can afford to dislike them since I no longer need to take the GMAT. You do not have that luxury ;-)

So I would think of CR's as a puzzle or a treasure hunt that you must solve to find a prize. Imagine you could get $100K if you solved 10 puzzles, answered 12 grammar questions, and read 4 passages? (that's not far from reality if you can get a high score and get a scholarship) so you may want to treat CR's as assets and opportunities rather than enemies ;-)

P.S. And you should sign up for MBA Spotlight MBA Fair ;-)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=fair_register
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the suggestion! Well, I’m trying to be realistic and I understand that scholarship is most likely out of my reach with my worse than average quant performances. But thank you anyways! Sure, will do :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
THere are definitely some annoying things in CR such as bold-face questions.

Interesting opinion. I think the boldface questions are the most straightforward. The hardest are the questions when there are more than one option that strengthens or weakens, but you must choose the one that "most supports".

Edit: I must take that opinion back. The hardest of course are the annoyingly time-consuming "mimic the reasoning".
GMAT Club Bot