It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal, especially SC for non-native speaker

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Verbal, especially SC for non-native speaker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 02:58
Hello all,

I have difficulty with the verbal similar to other non-native speaker. My problem is that, the verbal section is not all about structure and grammar. The meaning matters as well. When i practice some of the hard and very hard section on Magoosh, I have no idea what the passage is talking about. I know the answer wont be a immediate solution but any tip will help.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal, especially SC for non-native speaker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 05:33
hey EGMAT will help you a lot here
just go for full verbal course and also read atlantic,independent etc everyday

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 328

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 08:20
Refer to MGMAT verbal guides. They are very helpful for clarifying concepts.
For RC, the more u practice, the better it is. Try solving 4 passages daily. When u get an answer wrong, read the explanation given for the correct answer. In this way, u will be able to get correct answers.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 328

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 11:57
petelindan wrote:
Hello all,

I have difficulty with the verbal similar to other non-native speaker. My problem is that, the verbal section is not all about structure and grammar. The meaning matters as well. When i practice some of the hard and very hard section on Magoosh, I have no idea what the passage is talking about. I know the answer wont be a immediate solution but any tip will help.

Thanks

SC- e-GMAT , Manhattan SC guide , Thursdays with Ron videos
CR - Powerscore CR, e-GMAT
RC - This section will be the most difficult to improve especially for a non-native speaker.
- Read every day articles from economist , new york times , Wall street journal etc .

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/tags/verbal/

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 81

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8775 [0], given: 106

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 09:34
petelindan wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks

Dear petelindan,

This is Mike McGarry from Magoosh. I'm happy to jump in here. :-)

Yes, the GMAT V section, even the SC, is not just about grammar. Everywhere on the verbal section you have to think about logic and meaning. You can't follow a formula anywhere: you have to bring your full mental powers to each and every verbal question.

You said that "when I practice some of the hard and very hard section on Magoosh, I have no idea what the passage is talking about." My friend, I am sorry to say that, at that level of understanding, tips will not be very helpful. Yes, the MGMAT books are wonderful and the Magoosh video lessons on RC are wonderful, but even with all that in mind, you need fundamental reading skills, and this comes only through practice.

My recommendation is to read English, hard challenging works in English, for an hour a day every single day. That's a hour a day over and above any GMAT specific practice you are doing. You need to pursue assiduously a habit of reading. Find difficult academic material in English and read that every day. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
I know that sounds like a lot of work, and it's much harder to apply than something like "3 quick tips to improve RC." Many students want a quick fix and don't have the stomach to pursue all the hard work that excellence demands. That's precisely why, of all the people who take the GMAT, only 10% cross the magic 700 threshold. Everyone wants an excellent performance, but few have the stamina and commitment to pursue the habits of excellence in every single aspect of preparation.

So, my friend, in many ways, the answer is quite simple. The single best way to improve your performance in GMAT RC is to spend hours and hours and hours reading the most challenging material you can find. If you are willing to do this hard work, there's no limit to how much you can improve.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8775 [0], given: 106

Re: Verbal, especially SC for non-native speaker   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 09:34

Verbal, especially SC for non-native speaker

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap