Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Veritas verbal scoring method [#permalink]
Kudos
You should have given trend for both tests for better comparison. Anyway, the first question is usually of a neutral level- 550-600type , if you answered it incorrectly then computer would have considered you a below average test taker and must have given you a simpler question. Also if you analyse closely you never allowed computer to judge you a candidate of average plus as you have made errors throughout the test. If you want to score try not to make mistakes in first 10-12 questions so that computer gives you harder questions. Try to get hands on harder questions in first half of the test to score higher.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Re: Veritas verbal scoring method [#permalink]
Kudos
Ok.. I gave two mocks in which I scored V27 in each
1) V27 (15 incorrect)
Q1(500-550 level),6,9,10,18,20,21,24,32,33,34,35,38,40,41
2) V27 (11 incorrect)
Q1(600-650 level),7,10,15,18,19,20,23,32,37,41

Sent from my Pixel using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ParulSaini,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATS. That all having been said, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they'll provide you with a reasonably accurate score result (assuming that you take the CAT correctly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I took a GMAC exam n scored 670 (V32). That is why I was disappointed when i scored 620 in veritas

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
ParulSaini wrote:
I took a GMAC exam n scored 670 (V32). That is why I was disappointed when i scored 620 in veritas

From my experience, I would advice you don't rely on test prep scores of any test prep company other than official tests. Undoubtedly, all have a high standards but the GMAT scoring mechanism is quite different. Following could be helpful.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-hard-is- ... l#p1972574
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
i bought 7 veritas prep exams but need help to understand SC concepts. Could some PLEASE recommend an easy to follow guide to undersrtand SC concepts? PLease and Thank You
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
kyokidha wrote:
i bought 7 veritas prep exams but need help to understand SC concepts. Could some PLEASE recommend an easy to follow guide to undersrtand SC concepts? PLease and Thank You

Verbal experts will be in a good position to advice you. Still my two cents:

Do you have any study material other than Official Guides? If not, there are tonnes of material in the forum which will help you in SC section (https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 04883.html). Alternatively you can opt for egmat or magoosh. I have tried both of them and both are equally good, egmat on the upper side for non natives and magoosh a bit more affordable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ParulSaini,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, the CAT score results you are referring to show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 640 +/- a few points). From your original prompt, I think that you might think that there's something "wrong" with the Veritas CATs, but have you had a chance to properly define YOUR performance on each of your CATs?

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. If you're skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day etc., then you are not properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience' - and your scores could vary depending on those details.

Completing a full review of your performances (with the goal of trying to determine WHY you're getting questions wrong) is also extremely important. Maybe there are concepts that you don't know very well, but maybe you know them just fine and you're making lots of little mistakes. While a full CAT Analyzer/Mistake Tracker would be a lot more detailed, there are some essential questions you should answer after reviewing each CAT (and the more specific you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of your last CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Heya guys.. I'm preparing for gmat.. But I'm confused with the portion.. I have brought Manhattan prep books.. It consists of
1. Fraction decimal and percent
2. Algebra
3.word problems
4. Geometry
5. Number properties
6. Critical reasoning
7.reading comprehension
8.sentence correction
9.integrated reasoning and essay..

I have these books... So the portion is this much only or still it is there.....?

Sent from my F103 Pro using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot