Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [48]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [6]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618752 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Vervet monkeys use different alarm calls to warn each other of nearby [#permalink]
Kudos
obvious (D) - it helps understand why the alarms made by monkeys are different
D. Vervet monkeys avoid land-based predators by climbing trees but avoid predation from the air by diving into foliage.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Re: Vervet monkeys use different alarm calls to warn each other of nearby [#permalink]
Presumably this is a paradox question. If so, what is the paradox?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Vervet monkeys use different alarm calls to warn each other of nearby [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Vervet monkeys use different alarm calls to warn each other of nearby predators, depending on whether the danger comes from land or from the air.

Which one of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the behavior of vervet monkeys described above?

A. By varying the pitch of its alarm call, a vervet monkey can indicate the number of predators approaching.

B. Different land-based predators are responsible for different numbers of vervet monkey deaths.

C. No predators that pose a danger to vervet monkeys can attack both from land and from the air.

D. Vervet monkeys avoid land-based predators by climbing trees but avoid predation from the air by diving into foliage.

E. Certain land-based predators feed only on vervet monkeys, whereas every predator that attacks vervet monkeys from the air feeds on many different animals.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The situation in the stimulus is that vervet monkeys use different calls depending on where predators come from. The correct answer must explain why the calls are different (again, difference versus similarity is an issue). Note that the stimulus does not contain a true paradox, just an odd situation that is presented without explanation.

Answer choice (A): This answer states that vervet monkeys vary the calls in order to indicate the number of predators, but the answer does not explain why different calls are used for land versus air predators. This answer is attractive because it shows that different calls can be used to indicate different things, but it is wrong because it does not explain the behavior of the monkeys as described in the stimulus.

Answer choice (B): This answer addresses only land-based predators and does not explain the difference described in the stimulus.

Answer choice (C): This answer states that the predators using land attacks are different from the predators using air attacks, but this information does not explain why vervet monkeys use different calls to indicate that fact.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer. Because vervet monkeys react to predators in different ways, they would need to know if the predator was coming by land or air. Hence, the different calls are used to tell the monkeys whether they should climb trees or dive into the foliage. Since this answer explains the behavior of vervet monkeys, this answer is correct.

Answer choice (E): The diet of selected predators of vervet monkeys is irrelevant and does not help explain why vervet monkeys use different calls depending on the direction of the attack.

i did not understand one thing - option D is not talking about "signals" . It is weakening - by telling its not signal , but actions. I think Option C strengthens? Could you please help me?
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
Presumably this is a paradox question. If so, what is the paradox?

although this question is grouped as a paradox question, it does not really have one.

The official answer expands on this -
Quote:
Note that the stimulus does not contain a true paradox, just an odd situation that is presented without explanation.

The answer stem should help explain this odd situation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts