GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Veteran Choosing Between CMU And Georgetown. Where To go?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 2.91
Veteran Choosing Between CMU And Georgetown. Where To go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 16:59
Good evening Guys!!

So, I just CRUSHED my interview at Georgetown. I even got a "WOW" out of my interviewer. (....If they do that for everyone please don't tell me. let me have this.)

That said, I read through a few threads regarding recruiting from Carnegie Mellon vs. Georgetown and still can't make up my mind. I'm looking for any sort of guidance. Despite the difference in the MBA rankings, neither program seems to win out over the other when it comes to actually getting a job.

Anyway, to give some background: As the title states, I'm a 7 year veteran who has served his contract with the Army. I did my time and I'm done. I now have the means (and rigor) to pursue an MBA and try to work in a field that I am passionate about. I love the capital markets and trading is a personal hobby of mine that I have invested a large amount of time into learning over the past decade. So, naturally, I'm trying to get into AM or S&T. I really have little desire to run down the IB route (it honestly sounds exactly like what I do now on a General Officer's staff but with much better pay). That being said, it looks like it comes down to S&T at CMU or AM at Georgetown.

I know these posts are a dime a dozen but any crumbs of advice are graciously welcomed.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 19:27
Congrats on your admits!!!

Tepper has traditionally carried more weight in tech than finance. Georgetown is finance heavy - probably capital one and other DC firms providing a steady pull for those jobs. Interesting enough, McDonough placed almost 30% into finance last year - surprised me, frankly.

It’s hard to predict the recruiting paths But I think for your industries, you’re looking at off-campus recruiting for both of these programs.

Try to connect with veterans at both programs and see what the scoop is.

PS. When in doubt, usually a top 17 school will outweigh a top 25 one.

Posted from my mobile device
B
Re: Veteran Choosing Between CMU And Georgetown. Where To go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 19:37
I actually live in pittsburgh now so if I still would have to off campus recruit then that makes my decision all the easier. THANK YOU :)

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 19:46
By off campus I meant that the employers are unlikely to come to campus for a recruiting/internship event.

If you are in Pittsburgh, are there companies you could work for there? Could you leverage your existing network - that always helps through military chapters, friends, church, family, etc.

P.S. Tepper is a solid Top 20 school with the dominance in Pittsburgh. You would have great benefits if you can/want stay there for the job after school.
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 20:02
There are definitely large, banks and a very large fund here. PNC and BNY Mellon are the 2 largest finance employers. I love the city of pittsburgh and would honestly live here over D.C. any day. I was entertaining GT simply because it IS a stronger finance school and I thought that could give me an edge in recruitment. My fiancee lives here and she is well established so it's safe to stay ill be here for at least another few years. As I'm
Typing this out, it looks more and more like CMU is the clear choice.

If neither school is likely to have heavy on campus recruitment, then it makes sense to stay home. I do have a veteran network here in town but it's limited. Part of my interest in the MBA is to build my professional network.

Current Student
B
Schools: Booth '20 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 17:37
For what it's worth just so you're aware, S&T is an uncommon career path post-MBA. Some people go into hedge funds but not traditional Bulge Bracket S&T. The MBA curriculum is not as relevant to trading as a MFin, CS degree, or quantitative PhD.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 05:47
So i'm finding out. As im researching it looks like the shift to algorithmic trading has made the entry into the field pretty freaking math heavy.

CMU has an amazing financial engineering program but obviously I want accredited to that. I'm not an engineer :(

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Veteran Choosing Between CMU And Georgetown. Where To go?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2019, 05:47

Veteran Choosing Between CMU And Georgetown. Where To go?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste