GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 10:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (01:20) correct 9% (01:29) wrong based on 292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared to last year, local law enforcement agencies have responded to 17 percent more calls involving violent crimes, showing that the average citizen of this town is more likely than ever to become a victim of a violent crime. Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. The town’s overall crime rate appears to have risen slightly this year compared to the same period last year.

B. In general, persons under the age of 65 are less likely to be victims of violent crimes than persons over the age of 65.

C. As a result of the town’s community outreach programs, more people than ever are willing to report violent crimes to the proper authorities.

D. In response to worries about violent crime, the town has recently opened a community center providing supervised activities for teenagers.

E. Community officials have shown that a relatively small number of repeat offenders commit the majority of violent crimes in the town.

Why is the answer not E ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 12:12
Hi there! I think I can help here. :)

nfr007 wrote:
Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared to last year, local law enforcement agencies
have responded to 17 percent more calls involving violent crimes, showing that the average citizen of this town is
more likely than ever to become a victim of a violent crime.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

E. Community officials have shown that a relatively small number of repeat offenders commit the majority of violent crimes in the town.

First let's take a look at the argument and identify the conclusion and premises.

Conclusion: average person more likely to be a victim of violent crime
Premise: police responded to 17% more calls related to violent crime

Now we have to find a reason to doubt the conclusion. We need to think about why the average person is NOT at risk of a violent crime. One thing that stands out is that we are given a percent and have not idea what the actually values are, like the towns population and violent crimes this year and last year. But I am straying from your question.

Why is it not E? Well, E does takes some steps towards weakening the argument since we are told about the people who commit the crimes, but ultimately, it does not provide any evidence for why people in the town might be safe from violent crime. Answer choice E only tells us about the people commit the crimes—not why crimes might not happen to the average citizen.

On the other hand, answer choice C provides a reason for why there has been an increase in reported crimes, but not necessarily an increase in crime. This provides evidence that people are not less safe now, but that people are reporting these crimes more.

Does this make sense?

I hope it helps! :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18
GMAT Date: 03-17-2015
Premium Member
Re: Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 11:08
nfr007 wrote:
Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared to last year, local law enforcement agencies
have responded to 17 percent more calls involving violent crimes, showing that the average citizen of this town is
more likely than ever to become a victim of a violent crime. Which one of the following, if true, most seriously
weakens the argument?
A. The town’s overall crime rate appears to have risen slightly this year compared to the same period last year.
B. In general, persons under the age of 65 are less likely to be victims of violent crimes than persons over the age of
C. As a result of the town’s community outreach programs, more people than ever are willing to report violent crimes
to the proper authorities.
D. In response to worries about violent crime, the town has recently opened a community center providing supervised
activities for teenagers.
E. Community officials have shown that a relatively small number of repeat offenders commit the majority of violent
crimes in the town.

This is a cause and effect question.
According to author,

cause : violent crime is increasing
effect : police is receiving more calls.

we can easily show that police may b receiving calls because of some other reasons.Answer C clearly states that.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 09:21
KevinRocci wrote:
Hi there! I think I can help here. :)

nfr007 wrote:
more likely than ever to become a victim of a violent crime.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

First let's take a look at the argument and identify the conclusion and premises.

Conclusion: average person more likely to be a victim of violent crime
Premise: police responded to 17% more calls related to violent crime

Now we have to find a reason to doubt the conclusion. We need to think about why the average person is NOT at risk of a violent crime. One thing that stands out is that we are given a percent and have not idea what the actually values are, like the towns population and violent crimes this year and last year. But I am straying from your question.

Why is it not E? Well, E does takes some steps towards weakening the argument since we are told about the people who commit the crimes, but ultimately, it does not provide any evidence for why people in the town might be safe from violent crime. Answer choice E only tells us about the people commit the crimes—not why crimes might not happen to the average citizen.

On the other hand, answer choice C provides a reason for why there has been an increase in reported crimes, but not necessarily an increase in crime. This provides evidence that people are not less safe now, but that people are reporting these crimes more.

Does this make sense?

I hope it helps! :)

Hi Kevin

I have a long standing doubt regarding such questions. LSAT book identifies this question as a causality type. How? I believe in causality type arguments, the causation must be explicitly mentioned in the conclusion. Here it is not. So why should I even think of an alternate cause as a weakener? Why cant I just negate the conclusion here? Can you pls tell me how to identify causal arguments and when to think of an alternate cause as a weakener?
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 21:33
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Conclusion: Average citizen is more likely to become a victim of VIOLENT crimes.

(y)? Because police have found that that there is 17% increase in violent calls reported by people

Please verify my PoE for (E) and (C) ?
Quote:
E. Community officials have shown that a relatively small number of repeat offenders commit the majority of violent
crimes in the town

I do not know anything about OTHER offenders. What if they committed more crimes now?
If at all, only small numbers of repeat offenders commit most of crimes how does it matter to help say: Average citizen is as likely or less likely to become its victim than before?

Quote:
C. As a result of the town’s community outreach programs, more people than ever are willing to report violent crimes
to the proper authorities.

Yes, this gives me ALTERNATE cause. Earlier people would have been a victim of violent crimes, but NOW they have more courage to report the same because of community outreach programs. Even is SAME violent crimes took place in past and present, we can say confidently that REPORTING to violent crimes is more presently.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 21:33

Violent crime in this town is a becoming a serious problem. Compared

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap