Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling all Waitlisters [#permalink]
speedmerchant wrote:
trollmail wrote:
mpg2011 wrote:
For comparison, I checked the HBS Class of 2014 official page and they have 410 people! Compared to 190 at Wharton. I don't want to get my hopes up but...

Another 88 in the Wharton Lauder group :/

are they mutually exclusive? my guess would be no. either way, though, putting stock in facebook math is a risky endeavor.

quite a few people in the facebook page of "wharton lauder class of 2014" are from Wharton MBA class of 2013.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Or Wharton could have accepted a disproportionate number of luddites....

As long as we're wildly speculating. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
The vast majority of the people in the Lauder group are from the class of 2013 - not sure why but they are (maybe its to answer questions and what not for the 2014ers). Lauder as a whole only had 65-70 people for the class of 2013.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
This is very productive speculation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Booth '14 (A)
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hey, W'ed people of W.
I believe they deferred many acceptance, which I am one of them.
This costed me 1.000$ deposit to Chicago but anyways.
I expect to receive my acceptance next friday, if not this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
maximus81 wrote:
Hey, W'ed people of W.

Maximus81, what do you mean by "they deferred many acceptances"? Did they extend acceptance offers, but then not actually admit these students?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
gagas wrote:
maximus81 wrote:
Hey, W'ed people of W.

Maximus81, what do you mean by "they deferred many acceptances"? Did they extend acceptance offers, but then not actually admit these students?

He's messing around... relax interwebs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
gagas wrote:
maximus81 wrote:
Hey, W'ed people of W.

I think Maximus means that they have not offered admission to everyone which they intended on the Round 1 decision date. They waitlisted quite a few people who they intended to admit. The rationale behind it could be the lower yield rate of Wharton. According to Businessweek admitted applicants who enrolled in Wharton newest class is 70% compared to 89% of Harvard. I hope and think that Wharton intends to increase its yield which is an important factor in ranking. The adcom at Wharton knows that if they admit current waitlist applicants, there is more than 95% chance that these students will accept admission. People from the waitlist who already have gotten admission in H/S would have withdrawn from the waitlist anyways.

The only thing that substantiates my theory is lower number of members on Wharton facebook page for Class of 2014 which has fallen to 187 now as compared to HBS 413. Even if we consider the Wharton Lauder 2014 page the total number will be lower than 210. On beatthegmat Wharton page the stats after round 1 decision in December were:

Accepted: 20
Waitlisted: 15
Rejected: 12
No Status: 34

People who have not updated their status are most likely to be reject or waitlisted. This again shows that wharton accepted fewer candidates in Round 1 and waitlisted a big chunk of them.

All of this is just speculation but it has a silver lining for us. Good Luck every one :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Eh, who knows. I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I'm going to focus on my other schools. Historically, Wharton has accepted a very small number of applicants from the WL.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getin2012 wrote:
gagas wrote:
maximus81 wrote:
Hey, W'ed people of W.

I think Maximus means that they have not offered admission to everyone which they intended on the Round 1 decision date. They waitlisted quite a few people who they intended to admit. The rationale behind it could be the lower yield rate of Wharton. According to Businessweek admitted applicants who enrolled in Wharton newest class is 70% compared to 89% of Harvard. I hope and think that Wharton intends to increase its yield which is an important factor in ranking. The adcom at Wharton knows that if they admit current waitlist applicants, there is more than 95% chance that these students will accept admission. People from the waitlist who already have gotten admission in H/S would have withdrawn from the waitlist anyways.

The only thing that substantiates my theory is lower number of members on Wharton facebook page for Class of 2014 which has fallen to 187 now as compared to HBS 413. Even if we consider the Wharton Lauder 2014 page the total number will be lower than 210. On beatthegmat Wharton page the stats after round 1 decision in December were:

Accepted: 20
Waitlisted: 15
Rejected: 12
No Status: 34

People who have not updated their status are most likely to be reject or waitlisted. This again shows that wharton accepted fewer candidates in Round 1 and waitlisted a big chunk of them.

All of this is just speculation but it has a silver lining for us. Good Luck every one :)

This is the longer version of what I mean.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mpg2011 wrote:
Eh, who knows. I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I'm going to focus on my other schools. Historically, Wharton has accepted a very small number of applicants from the WL.

this year is different, you will see.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Another productive speculation

this year W is going to admit around 50% of WL.

let's see what happens...

maximus81 will probably get in ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
koshelka wrote:
Another productive speculation

this year W is going to admit around 50% of WL.

let's see what happens...

maximus81 will probably get in ;)

I will buy you all beer at phili.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Lol, now my hopes are all high.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I have been regularly checking the Facebook page of Wharton 2014 admits. The group had about 190 members on 2/27, which shrank to about 187 on 2/29, but has now risen to 198 (as on 3/1). 2/27 was the last day for submitting Round 1 deposits, so this movement was clearly caused by some Round 1 admits declining Wharton and making way for some people on the wait-list to be eventually admitted to the program.
That's about 10-12 people off the wait-list already. What does that mean for the rest of the people who are still on the wait-list? Does anyone know how many people Wharton admits off the wait-list on an average in Round 2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
truecolors wrote:
I have been regularly checking the Facebook page of Wharton 2014 admits. The group had about 190 members on 2/27, which shrank to about 187 on 2/29, but has now risen to 198 (as on 3/1). 2/27 was the last day for submitting Round 1 deposits, so this movement was clearly caused by some Round 1 admits declining Wharton and making way for some people on the wait-list to be eventually admitted to the program.
That's about 10-12 people off the wait-list already. What does that mean for the rest of the people who are still on the wait-list? Does anyone know how many people Wharton admits off the wait-list on an average in Round 2?

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was some movement, your logic doesn't really prove it. People agonizing over paying the deposit could have just made it and then just waited a day or two to join the fb group, which is a much simpler explanation. Plus you have to be added by a group admin, so there could have been a backlog (last "wave" of fb additions were 13 hours ago, apparently....geez, I feel stalkerish).

So let's not get too anxious just yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
You've got a fair point. Some people might have actually held off joining the FB page till they actually put in the deposit etc. I guess in the absence of any other information on how the wait-list is moving, I end up attributing any change in the group size on FB to people getting admitted from the waiting pool.

huntzman wrote:
truecolors wrote:

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was some movement, your logic doesn't really prove it. People agonizing over paying the deposit could have just made it and then just waited a day or two to join the fb group, which is a much simpler explanation. Plus you have to be added by a group admin, so there could have been a backlog (last "wave" of fb additions were 13 hours ago, apparently....geez, I feel stalkerish).

So let's not get too anxious just yet.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts