It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton EMBA vs Haas EWMBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

• 50% [3]
  • 50% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Wharton EMBA vs Haas EWMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 11:51
Hi,

I've been admitted to Wharton's MBA for Executives program in SF and Haas' EWMBA program. I am having tough time deciding between the two.

I have about 8 years of experience in Supply Chain Management at a Hi-tech firm and I looking to switch into a Strategy role in Operations after my MBA. I plan to stay in the SF bay area after graduation.

Wharton -
+ strong brand, undiluted MBA experience, excellent profs, strong alumni network
- 70K more expensive, does not provide access to career fair.

Haas -
+ strong brand in the bay, access to clubs, access to career fair, possibility of a scholarship
- brand not as strong as Wharton.

Given that I am looking for a switch, does Wharton make more sense over Haas given that it is 70k more expensive?

your 2 cents plzz..

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 16:28
This post received
KUDOS
Wharton

Last edited by Startedfromthebottom on 08 Apr 2017, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 1

GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.41
Re: Wharton EMBA vs Haas EWMBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Given that you're looking to switch and stay in the Bay Area, my vote is for Haas. You will get a more robust MBA experience (EMBAs are different no matter what their websites say), you'll have access to greater resources, and the Haas name is incredibly strong in the Bay Area. I believe network and access to resources outweigh brand, especially when you're talking about two schools that are top seven. If you were looking to simply advance your career within banking or finance, then I might vote for Wharton, but given your interests and how they align with the Haas program, I'd say go with Cal!

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 18:16
Startedfromthebottom wrote:
Here are my points -- let me know what you think?

I feel like once you pass age 29 it becomes very hard to get into a top Full-time mba program.

I feel like once you pass age 34 it becomes very hard to get into the Haas ewmba program, and many times they will refer you to their emba program. In fact, on the application there is a check the box in case you want to be considered for the emba if the ewmba is unavailable.

I feel like any emba, including Wharton, you can only get into after several years of experience, but it is open to the much older crowd, i.e. people well into their 40's and older, so I don't know how much commonality a 30ish year old would have with someone 45 married with 3 kids.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I believe it is advantageous to be able to network with more accomplished individuals, but you are right, other that class hours, it might be difficult to find anything in common with these more accomplished students :wink:(ergo older students ).

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 18:32
WestCoast7 wrote:
Given that you're looking to switch and stay in the Bay Area, my vote is for Haas. You will get a more robust MBA experience (EMBAs are different no matter what their websites say), you'll have access to greater resources, and the Haas name is incredibly strong in the Bay Area. I believe network and access to resources outweigh brand, especially when you're talking about two schools that are top seven. If you were looking to simply advance your career within banking or finance, then I might vote for Wharton, but given your interests and how they align with the Haas program, I'd say go with Cal!

Thanks for sharing your perspective, WestCoast7. Access to career resources at Haas is definitely an advantage, but I believe these career resources are geared more towards a much younger full time student population. Given that I will have close to 11 years of experience at Graduation, I am not sure if access to career resources will be as valuable to my personal situation.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.41

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 07:23
unverifiedvoracity wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your perspective, WestCoast7. Access to career resources at Haas is definitely an advantage, but I believe these career resources are geared more towards a much younger full time student population. Given that I will have close to 11 years of experience at Graduation, I am not sure if access to career resources will be as valuable to my personal situation.

The career services are not geared towards a younger student population at Haas. They are built to help any professional, regardless of where they are in their career. You actually have access to their full career services (and their coaches) for the rest of your life if you do the full time or EW program. Just something to keep in mind.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 12:45
WestCoast7 wrote:
unverifiedvoracity wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

The career services are not geared towards a younger student population at Haas. They are built to help any professional, regardless of where they are in their career. You actually have access to their full career services (and their coaches) for the rest of your life if you do the full time or EW program. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks WestCoast7 for clearing up my misconception. Both programs definitely have their own advantages and are excellent in their own regard. It is such a tough decision to make.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 20:26
Alright, I spoke extensively with a good friend of mine today who is finishing the Haas ewmba program this year (in a couple months). He confirmed that the ewmba career services are indeed geared towards positions that typically go to newly minted mba's... In other words, early careers (my friend started the ewmba program when he was 27). He did have great things to say, ie he's switched jobs 3 times while in the program, and each time he's found more fulfillment in each roll and he's very happy with his most recent job. He also had excellent things to say about the career services and network connections etc. With that said, after much analysis and discussions with mentors, I have unequivocally decided the Wharton emba program is the stronger of the two programs, and a better fit for me. Retrospectively, I knew that all along, but I play to win and needed to be sure I was betting on the right horse!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 19:11
Great choice here! I would have recommended Wharton as well. A really transformative brand with a truly cross country (and global) brand.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton EMBA vs Haas EWMBA   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2017, 19:11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap