Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which program should I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q165 V165
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Wharton/Sloan/Booth/Kellogg/Tuck [#permalink]
Congratulations and what a privileged position to be in.

All four are excellent schools for MBB. 40- 60k isn’t exactly a lot. Why not focus on the best fit here? Where do you see yourself making the biggest impact and having the time of your life + best personal development?

Your desired post MBA is MBB(primary) with a Tech/Sustainability (secondary) focus.

Wharton has the strongest MBB placement in competitive geographical areas out of the pack. There’s not much between the other three, but Kellogg is probably the second best.

MIT and Boston are fantastic places to be for tech/sustainability and the name itself earns you more kudos in the west coast and scientific community. However the alumni base is smaller than the other three so your MBB reach is likely going to be smaller.

So objectively, I would pick Wharton (best of both worlds) over Kellogg (solid program, offering aid, great MBB placement) over Sloan (closer to conversations in tech, Boston is great, close knit class), over Booth (it doesn’t have any defining strengths for your intended purpose for an MBA).

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Wharton/Sloan/Booth/Kellogg/Tuck [#permalink]
Kudos
oddwhile wrote:
I'm coming from a nontraditional background and planning to recruit for consulting. I have secondary interests in tech/sustainability but the primary goal is getting an MBB offer.

I was offered $60k at Booth and $40k at Kellogg; no money at the other programs.

I'm having a really tough time deciding what I want to do here. I included Tuck in the list because I'm trying to negotiate a scholarship with them. I like the program, and the strength of MBB recruiting, but I likely won't attend unless they give me significant money (doesn't seem likely at this point).

The other four are close in my mind. Does anyone have any feedback on MBB recruiting prospects at these programs? Sloan/Booth/Kellogg have pretty detailed employment reports, so I've gotten a good sense from those. Wharton doesn't disclose specific numbers, and, while I know the prospects are strong, I don't know to what extent. The money at Booth is compelling, but in the grand scheme of things it's only $60k.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I'm a 1Y at Booth who just went through consulting (+ tech) internship recruiting and will be spending the summer at an MBB firm.

Congrats on all those amazing offers! Very well done.
My suggestion is to choose Booth or Kellogg among these schools (unless Wharton can match the scholarship offered, then you should consider it too). Tuck is a great school with strong consulting recruiting but Booth & Kellogg are arguably a notch above in overall terms (very clearly top 5 in the country) and will serve you better in the longer run (specially with the money offered).

At both Kellogg and Booth you'll have an equal shot at consulting. You'll likely get the interviews and then it will be up to you to prepare and perform. Consulting companies welcome non-traditional background and you'll have plenty of support from them throughout the recruiting process. Also, you can recruit for any office from Booth and Kellogg - all MBB offices across the US (and the world) are hungry for top talent from these schools.

So, you should decide between Kellogg and Booth on other factors that matter to you (MBA experience you seek, living in the city vs suburbs etc), not consulting recruiting as that will pretty much be the same. Kellogg is a traditional powerhouse in consulting with many top partners at MBB firms being Kellogg alumni. Booth however has progressed tremendously in the last 8-10 years.. as is evidenced in having higher MBB #s than Kellogg in 2019 (full-time recruiting).. which I think is probably the first time in history. (Kellogg and Booth had 104 and 109 MBB full-time accepted offers respectively for class of 2019)

Kellogg is the top school for BCG - quite often they hire the largest #s from Kellogg across all schools. McKinsey is generally Harvard > Wharton > Booth or Kellogg (varies by year) in absolute #s. Bain has pretty much the same #s at both schools (Booth edges full-time hires last couple of years).

--------------------------------

In terms of Booth vs Kellogg in other aspects, its a common dilemma and you can't go wrong either way. Choose wherever you vibe best.
I'm putting below a few things from my Booth experience, but talk to students from both schools and make the best decision for you.

1) Booth culture is heavily "pay-it-forward" - the community is very supportive and truly believes in winning together.

2) Booth has a wide variety of people across age range and backgrounds. One of my best friends at Booth owned an art gallery in LA for many years, another friend was a soccer player in MLS and my roommate is a traditional MBB consultant. No matter who you are, you will find people like you.

3) The best way to describe Boothies - "smart and analytical people who don't take themselves too seriously".

4) The faculty is best in class and the academic rigor is strong - Boothies can flex and become analytical poets or artistic quants depending on the situation. The flexible curriculum really encourages and drives the skill development.

5) The Booth community will give you options to party every week if you wish to, or play board games every week if that's what you prefer. No judgement and you are never alone - you will always have people willing to participate.

6) The respect in the industry for Booth's academic rigor and the students' intellectual prowess is immense. So many times I've heard a guest speaker or a company rep say "You go to Booth, so I'm sure you'll understand it" when explaining something technical.

7) Booth's focus on "data" and rigorous decision making is becoming an increasingly significant differentiating factor in today's information age.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I'd go with Booth or Wharton here - consulting opportunities should be similar between the two. I think it comes down to how much you weigh the money and overall fit (very different cities and cultures between the schools).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts