Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 08:15 It is currently 10 May 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dilshod wrote:
Dear Paul,
I appreciate your attention very much, thank you.

But, could you please, answer to some more questions, regarding BYU:

As far as I know, Mormons and Muslims share a lot of social and spiritual commonalities. I’ve read their Honor Code, and its requirements are nearly the same as those of our society and religion. So, I guess it will be easier for me to adapt to that environment, than to any other liberal one. But, do you think, that the fact I’m Muslim place me at natural disadvantage? May they have any special scales for admission of non-Mormons? Do you have any idea, why the student body at BYU is so homogeneous?

Please, note that after receiving the degree, I’m going to return to Uzbekistan and work for the company that sponsored my education.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Best regards,
Dilshod

Dilshod,

I respect your desire to find a B-school that matches your values. I think you should write an essay in your application to Notre Dame about the similarities you see between Catholicism and Islam. I think they would welcome that.

I think BYU is a different story, however. Their admissions director says:
"We don't have any restrictions that say you must be a member of the [Mormon] church. But because we require that they live by the same standards that members of the church do while they're here, it's not desirable for some people." That sounds open-minded, right? Well, in reality at least 85% of BYU's entering students have spent the previous 2 years doing Mormon missionary work--that is, they are church members.
Moreover, BYU's admissions director states that the number of students who are not Mormons "tends to be about 5% of the class."

Only 5 percent! So a Muslim applicant at BYU isn't any worse off than a Catholic applicant: if you aren't a Mormon the odds are small.

I recommend looking harder for B schools that have conservative environments. I'm sure you can find a campus where you can feel comfortable.

Good luck,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Dear Paul,
Thank you for reply.
Sorry for not asking all my questions in one post. The questions are just popping up after I read your posts.
Please, answer to another question:

As an int-l student, I'm not eligible for any loans or federal aid. Thus the cost is an issue in my case. Could you please, recommend or advice me decent schools where the chances to receive fin.aid or grant are relatively high(for foreign students)?

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards
Dilshod
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dilshod wrote:
Dear Paul,
Thank you for reply.
Sorry for not asking all my questions in one post. The questions are just popping up after I read your posts.
Please, answer to another question:

As an int-l student, I'm not eligible for any loans or federal aid. Thus the cost is an issue in my case. Could you please, recommend or advice me decent schools where the chances to receive fin.aid or grant are relatively high(for foreign students)?

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards
Dilshod

Dilshod,

Sorry, but my expertise is not in the financial aid side of business school. Check out the Financial Aid resources in the "B-schools" section of Business Week online.

Good luck,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Thanks for replies, Paul.

While reading many b-school forums I encountered several times "a good fit" term related to BYU MBA. However, I didn't find any precise information on Marriott official web-site on what is considered a good fit by adcom and how important it is to be a good fit.
Do you have any idea, what is a fit for Marriott?

Best Regards,
Dilshod
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dilshod wrote:
Thanks for replies, Paul.

While reading many b-school forums I encountered several times "a good fit" term related to BYU MBA. However, I didn't find any precise information on Marriott official web-site on what is considered a good fit by adcom and how important it is to be a good fit.
Do you have any idea, what is a fit for Marriott?

Best Regards,
Dilshod

Dilshod,

I believe I already answered your question regarding "good fit" at BYU. I recommend that you read the Q&A's with BYU's admissions director at Business Week's B-school website.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]