Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Modifiersx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [3]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

While the issue of "postposed" would be at play over here, we can't take away the fact that a verb's present participle plays the role of a gerund and we can use it at the beginning of the sentence in place of a subject. Just another example :

Maintaining calm and tranquility in the panic situation is the responsibility of every citizen.

Whether we can read the sentence like this in the "postposed" structure ? Perhaps not, as it doesn't make any sense

The responsibility of every citizen is maintaining calm and tranquility in the panic situation

So, it could be the case that D is dubious in the sense that :

1. It is correct when "Bringing" is interpreted as gerund
2. It is incorrect when thought as "postposed" structure
You've asked some really good questions! For example, you've found an exception to the pattern in which we see a noun on the other side of the verb that works just as well as the subject. That is, X is Y and Y is X are not considered the same when Y is as good a subject as X is. The difference in this case is that using bringing as the subject leads to a meaning issue that cannot be overlooked.

1. Bringing the company back was a good move. ← "Bringing the company back" is the subject here, and it makes sense to say that it was "a good move" (bringing the company back = a good move).

2. Bringing the company back was a price increase. ← Forcing bringing to play the role of subject here will lead to a meaning issue (bringing the company back = a price increase).

English is full of patterns like this one. The main takeaway here is that the GMAT sometimes uses such unexpected structures to throw test takers off.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chrtpmdr wrote:
Can someone explain why the usage of the present perfect is wrong here? Aren't we talking about a period of time in which the company has been brought back?
Hi chrtpmdr,

Consider the meaning of the sentence:
A price increase was what brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War.

Option E is:
A price increase was what has brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War.

The was (past tense) is in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, and it seems to indicate that we're looking at something that is in the past ("the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War"). Has brought seems to suggest that the automobile company has just been brought back (recently) from the verge of bankruptcy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Re: What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

While the issue of "postposed" would be at play over here, we can't take away the fact that a verb's present participle plays the role of a gerund and we can use it at the beginning of the sentence in place of a subject. Just another example :

Maintaining calm and tranquility in the panic situation is the responsibility of every citizen.

Whether we can read the sentence like this in the "postposed" structure ? Perhaps not, as it doesn't make any sense

The responsibility of every citizen is maintaining calm and tranquility in the panic situation

So, it could be the case that D is dubious in the sense that :

1. It is correct when "Bringing" is interpreted as gerund
2. It is incorrect when thought as "postposed" structure
You've asked some really good questions! For example, you've found an exception to the pattern in which we see a noun on the other side of the verb that works just as well as the subject. That is, X is Y and Y is X are not considered the same when Y is as good a subject as X is. The difference in this case is that using bringing as the subject leads to a meaning issue that cannot be overlooked.

1. Bringing the company back was a good move. ← "Bringing the company back" is the subject here, and it makes sense to say that it was "a good move" (bringing the company back = a good move).

2. Bringing the company back was a price increase. ← Forcing bringing to play the role of subject here will lead to a meaning issue (bringing the company back = a price increase).

English is full of patterns like this one. The main takeaway here is that the GMAT sometimes uses such unexpected structures to throw test takers off.

Thanks AjiteshArun for the clear explanation !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma Can you help me with one doubt related to usage of what or any wh-word.

1.) What is funny ? --> this is interrogative sentence .
and according to AjiteshArun What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War was a special , the bolded part is a large subject . So how is it not interrogative (this is also wh- word + modal verb structure)and sentence 1 is .
I know this is a very basic question but this particular question type I get wrong in various OG questions .
Hope u understand my query .Thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma Can you help me with one doubt related to usage of what or any wh-word.

1.) What is funny ? --> this is interrogative sentence .
and according to AjiteshArun What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War was a special , the bolded part is a large subject . So how is it not interrogative (this is also wh- word + modal verb structure)and sentence 1 is .
I know this is a very basic question but this particular question type I get wrong in various OG questions .
Hope u understand my query .Thanks in advance.

It is not interrogative because the sentence is not a question. The sentence is the answer.

Q: What brought the automobile sector back from the verge of bankruptcy?

A: The price increase.
or
A: The price increase was what brought the automobile sector back from the verge of bankruptcy.
or
A: What brought the automobile sector back from the verge of bankruptcy was the price increase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.96
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
bmwhype2 wrote:
What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War was a special, governmentally sanctioned price increase allowed during a period of wage and price controls.

(A) What brought
(B) The thing that brought
(C) That which brought
(D) Bringing
(E) What has brought

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Verb Forms + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb “brought” to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “The thing that brought”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “That which averted”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" – “Bringing” in this sentence) to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb phrase “has brought” to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Since the company was saved, isn't the action still affecting present? So why is E wrong and A correct?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
lovikansal wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
bmwhype2 wrote:
What brought the automobile company back from the verge of bankruptcy shortly after the Second World War was a special, governmentally sanctioned price increase allowed during a period of wage and price controls.

(A) What brought
(B) The thing that brought
(C) That which brought
(D) Bringing
(E) What has brought

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Verb Forms + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb “brought” to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “The thing that brought”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “That which averted”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" – “Bringing” in this sentence) to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb phrase “has brought” to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Since the company was saved, isn't the action still affecting present? So why is E wrong and A correct?

Hello lovikansal,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

The question says that the company was saved after world war II but does not say anything about the company's current status; thus, we cannot say that the act of saving the company continues to affect the present. For all we know, the company could have closed in the interim, meaning it have been saved after world war II is no longer relevant.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
Can some expert please explain why option B is wrong ?

My Reasoning :
According to google - 'thing' can refer to an object , action, event, thought, or utterance.
so ,IMO, 'The thing' can refer to the 'price increase'.

Is option A correct because option A is just more concise and clearer than option B?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Taulark1 wrote:
Is option A correct because option A is just more concise and clearer than option B?

Hi Taulark1,

That's right. Option B is clear enough, but it's just a longer way to say the same thing as A, so we prefer A.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Choice (B)

I read all comments but there are different ideas and explanations. Thus, (B) is just "wordy" or is literally wrong due to "thing".
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,
(B) is just "wordy" or is literally wrong due to "thing".

A "thing" is a physical object.

In informal, spoken English, people also routinely use "thing" to refer to abstract entities without a physical/material existence, such as people's words ("I just said the first thing that came to mind"), as well as to actions ("The first thing that we did was...").
These usages, however, are incorrect in formal written English.

In any case, don't be afraid to use unnecessary wordiness as a criterion for elimination! If there are other choices that express the same idea(s) more concisely, you can eliminate the unnecessarily wordy choice(s) for that reason.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

In informal, spoken English, people also routinely use "thing" to refer to abstract entities without a physical/material existence, such as people's words ("I just said the first thing that came to mind"), as well as to actions ("The first thing that we did was...").

In any case, don't be afraid to use unnecessary wordiness as a criterion for elimination! If there are other choices that express the same idea(s) more concisely, you can eliminate the unnecessarily wordy choice(s) for that reason.

RonTargetTestPrep

Thank you your response :)
I have a question (just want make sure I understand correctly)
I heard that what = the thing(s) that as well. But what can refer to either abstract entities or physical existence, right?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

RonTargetTestPrep

Thank you your response :)
I have a question (just want make sure I understand correctly)
I heard that what = the thing(s) that as well. But what can refer to either abstract entities or physical existence, right?

Hello Tanchat,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; the pronoun "what" can refer to both physical entities and abstractions.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
what can refer to either abstract entities or physical existence, right?

That's correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts