Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Re: What Do You Think of that Bruce? [#permalink]
vannbj wrote:
Thank you so much for your feedback, My MBA Admit. It’s a real encouragement to me to read what you replied and especially that it was an interesting read. I’ll try to answer your questions.

1) I thought my work experience could be considered a weakness because I thought adcoms tend to gauge the value you provide to your company by how much your company pays you. Since property and casualty insurance in general tends to pay less than most other industries and my employer pays very conservatively even among other insurers (part of its competitive advantage IMO), I am not sure if the adcom would or wouldn’t view this a weakness. However, I am not complaining because when I graduated undergrad, this was exactly the industry, job, company and even starting position that I wanted to work in and learn about. Thanks for giving me a better view of what the adcom would look for.

2) “What do I want to do with an MBA?” and “Where would I like to go?” are the two hardest questions to answer. I’ll try to answer them with a story. I started a business last year which would design and print poster-sized athletic calendars for high schools. They were really professional and polished athletic schedules designed to get students to post them on the walls of their rooms and spark school spirit. I planned to donate these to schools for free and give the schools large monetary donations (at least $500 per sports season). What provided the funding for these donations was ad space at the bottom of these athletic schedules/posters. I’d sell the ad space to local businesses and provide them with cheaper advertising for months than they would get anywhere else. Unfortunately, the business failed and not even from the parties providing the funding but from the schools. Perhaps I am just horrible salesman but I would like to think that it was more a matter of rapport and networking that caused what seemed like a viable and profitable business to fail. Because schools didn’t know me and were weary of others who were in this line of business I couldn’t get any of them on board (correction one came on board but then reneged). The most important thing I learned from that is that the more “exotic” your product or service is to a particular market, the more important it is for you to know someone who can help you connect with that market- preferably a mutual friend who can speak to your character. I want an MBA program with classmates who have a diverse exposure to industries, cultures, and passions so that when I see another viable profit opportunity in the future I will have a point of contact to increase the success of my enterprise. I want to go to a school that emphasizes entrepreneurship and makes me look at issues through paradigms I never would have considered. I visited HBS last year and was blown away by how the case method forces students to verbalize and kick the tires of their own positions and those of others to come to a decision. I also visited on International Day when everyone wore attire from their native country. It looked like a mini-UN in the classroom. My mouth salivated at the insight of venture opportunities in that room. Since I have only visited one potential school, it’s like seeing the first pretty girl and acting like you want to marry her. However, I have researched several others extensively. I’m also interested in Kellogg because of their one year program and Stanford because of their PMP. Honestly, Stanford might be a better fit than anywhere because of their focus on entrepreneurship but I’ll have to visit to tell. The two schools that aren’t “reach’s” like the others are Tuck and Darden. Much of where I’m competitive at will depend on how I do on the GMAT. That’s why my minimum goal is to crack a 700. I’m really aiming a couple points higher.

Glad we could help! Kudos (the little +1 box on the left) are always welcome! :)

I do understand your concerns regarding the work experience. Although there is a school of thought that believes AdComs assess a candidate's value to their company based on how much the company paid them, that is less so for younger applicants, and can be well-mitigated by demonstrating the depth, breadth and value of your experience (this is where we help).

Also, I think you provided another good example (the first was your community service), and am excited by how many more examples we can work on together to position them well for a robust and compelling application tailored to the school. I think your goals make sense, in broad terms. The next level of defining them would be provide a well-thought out career plan and how the degree, as well as offerings and resources of that particular program help you achieve those goals.

If you are just starting the MBA application process, I would recommend our 10-page report for Candidate Profiling and School Selection. This comprehensive report offers you the opportunity to go through a mini application process that will help to evaluate your profile and recommend a set of schools that is best suited to your needs.

If you would like to discuss this further, drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to set up a Free Initial Consultation. Also check out our Application Packages and Volume Discounts tailored to help with your admission needs.

Btw, I liked your comparison of an MBA program to a pretty girl. Funny!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What Do You Think of that Bruce? [#permalink]