Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [6]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What does the (alleged) looming recession mean for an MBA Applicant? [#permalink]
Kudos
aventus
The question you have asked holds so much importance for every candidate at any point of time in career however no other question would be as pivotal as your's in current(notional looming recession) scenario.

Every point made by bb is so valid and I would not have found a better way put things in that manner. I have seen my friends starting their careers in last recession 10-12 years ago and doing good till date, and there are many who left within 1-2 years to pursue MBA, many went after 4-5 years into their profession, not to mention that recession always played with their minds(because of the last one).

If you think recession has a role and can time it, try capital markets since its a reflection of current market situation at least notionally. I might be wrong in drawing an analogy here but the point is timing things don't work at least not for me or for many of my friends including college seniors. They all went ahead what they thought was best for them and i do believe that's the way because the current so-called recession is more of a tug of war or may be protectionism but it is not in our control.

So all in all, it's about your goals keeping in mind the cyclicity of the market and exceptions because they change the ROI definitely in short term.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: What does the (alleged) looming recession mean for an MBA Applicant? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Interesting points, if you are financially minded, and know how options work and have some $$$, you could try to hedge the recession by buying some options against the stock market. I have no idea how much that would cost or how easy/hard it is to purchase but it would definitely be an interesting play and hedge against the recession to mitigate the financial impact of the stock market collapse.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Its better to follow some tweets than hedge..!! ;)
Cost effective and a little certain... :)
GMAT Club Bot