GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the median number of employees assigned per project

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
D
Re: What is the median number of employees assigned per project  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 15:00
Top Contributor
ITIZCODE wrote:
What is the median number of employees assigned per project for the projects at Company Z?

(1) 25 percent of the projects at Company Z have 4 or more employees assigned to each project.
(2) 35 percent of the projects at Company Z have 2 or fewer employees assigned to each project

Target question: What is the median number of employees assigned per project?

Statement 1: 25 percent of the projects at Company Z have 4 or more employees assigned to each project.
Let's pretend that there are 4 projects altogether.
There are several sets of values that meet this condition. Here are two:
Case a: the set of numbers representing employees per project are {1, 1, 1, 4} in which case the median is 1
Case b: the set of numbers representing employees per project are {2, 2, 2, 4} in which case the median is 2
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: 35 percent of the projects at Company Z have 2 or fewer employees assigned to each project.
Using logic similar to the above, we can show that statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined:
35% projects have 2 employees OR FEWER, and 25% of the projects have 4 employees OR MORE. So, 40% projects have EXACTLY 3 employees.

To find the median, we must find the middlemost value when all of the values are listed in ASCENDING order.
So, the first 35% of the numbers will be 1's and 2's.
Then next 40% of the numbers will be 3's
And the last 25% of the numbers will be 4, 5's, etc

As you can see, the MIDDLEMOST value will be 3. In other words, the median must be 3.
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 15:17
priyamne wrote:
ITIZCODE wrote:
What is the median number of employees assigned per project for the projects at Company Z?

(1) 25 percent of the projects at Company Z have 4 or more employees assigned to each project.
(2) 35 percent of the projects at Company Z have 2 or fewer employees assigned to each project

Ans: : Median is the middle value. Statements 1 and 2 alone give us insufficient data but when we combine both of them we see that 25 % have 4 or more and 35% have 2 or less therefore 40 %have 3 employees. Therefore the median would be 3 and the answer is (C). :lol:

I understand that we're looking for the median and that each statement alone only tell us PART of what we want to know...further, I understand adding up both %s [25 & 35] and deducing that 40% have 3 employees.
- HOWEVER, how do we know that 40% contains the median? What if we changed the numbers in Statement 1 & 2 both to 35? In this case, 30% would be left for 3 employees...how would this affect the answer?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 08:16
LakerFan24 wrote:
priyamne wrote:
ITIZCODE wrote:

Ans: : Median is the middle value. Statements 1 and 2 alone give us insufficient data but when we combine both of them we see that 25 % have 4 or more and 35% have 2 or less therefore 40 %have 3 employees. Therefore the median would be 3 and the answer is (C). :lol:

I understand that we're looking for the median and that each statement alone only tell us PART of what we want to know...further, I understand adding up both %s [25 & 35] and deducing that 40% have 3 employees.
- HOWEVER, how do we know that 40% contains the median? What if we changed the numbers in Statement 1 & 2 both to 35? In this case, 30% would be left for 3 employees...how would this affect the answer?

It won't change the answer. Say there are 20 projects.
If 35% have 4 or more employees, it means 7 projects have 4 or more employees.
If 35% have 2 or fewer employees, it means 7 projects have 2 or fewer employees.
The leftover 30% i.e. 6 projects have 3 employees.

To find the median, you will need to arrange the number of employees in increasing order

1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7

The one in the middle will be 3.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
What is the median number of employees assigned per project  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 21:29
Bunuel wrote:
ITIZCODE wrote:

(1) 25 percent of the projects at Company Z have 4 or more employees assigned to each project. Not sufficient on its own.

(2) 35 percent of the projects at Company Z have 2 or fewer employees assigned to each project. Not sufficient on its own.

(1)+(2) Since 35% of of the projects have 2 or fewer (\(\leq{2}\))employees and 25% of the projects have 4 or more (\(\geq{4}\)) employees, then 100%-(25%+35%)=40% of the projects have exactly 3 employees assigned to each of them. So, the median number of employees assigned per project is 3. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

To elaborate more: consider there are 100 projects: \(\{p_1, \ p_2, \ ... , \ p_{100}\}\). The values of \(p_1\) to \(p_{35}\) will be 0, 1, or 2; the values of \(p_{36}\) to \(p_{75}\) will be exactly 3; the values of \(p_{76}\) to \(p_{100}\) will be 4 or more. \(Median=\frac{p_{50}+p_{51}}{2}=\frac{3+3}{2}=3\).

For example list can be: \(\{2, \ 2, \ 2, \ ..., \ (p_{35}=2), \ (p_{36}=3), \ 3, \ ..., \ (p_{75}=3), \ (p_{76}=4), \ 4, \ ..., \ (p_{100}=4)\}\);
OR:
\(\{0, \ 0, \ 1, \ 1, \ 1, \ 2, \ 2, \ ..., \ (p_{35}=2), \ (p_{36}=3), \ 3, \ ..., \ (p_{75}=3), \ (p_{76}=4), \ 5, \ 7, \ 27, \ ..., \ (p_{100}=10000)\}\) (of course there are a lot of other breakdowns).

In any case median=3.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/ and DS questions in the DS subforum: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/ No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

this is how I thought about it...

first 35 projects have 2 or fewer assigned to each so that can be 0,1 or 2

next 25 that is from 36 - 61 have 4 or more....so that can be anything from 4,5,6...

so the last 39 ie from 62- 100 must be more than 4?

so the median can be either 4 or above 4

please correct my line of thinking I'm lost...

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

What is the median number of employees assigned per project &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 21:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

What is the median number of employees assigned per project

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap