Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618882 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
What is the value of y – x^2 – x? (1) y = –3x (2) y = –4(x + 1) [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
What is the value of y–x^2–x?

(1) y=–3x

(2) y=–4(x+1)

(1) y=–3x insufic

\((-3x)-x^2-x…-x^2-4x;\)

(2) y=–4(x+1) insufic

\((-4x-4)-x^2-x…-x^2-5x-4;\)

(1&2) sufic

\(-3x=-4x-4…x=-4\)
\((-3x)-x^2-x…-x^2-4x;…-(-4)^2-4(-4)…-16+16=0\)

Ans (C)

Originally posted by exc4libur on 19 Nov 2019, 02:59.
Last edited by exc4libur on 20 Nov 2019, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: What is the value of y – x^2 – x? (1) y = –3x (2) y = –4(x + 1) [#permalink]
Kudos
What is the value of \(y–x^2–x\)?

(1) \(y = –3x\)
\(y – x^2 – x\)
--> \(-3x – x^2 – x\)
--> \(-4x - x^2\) --> Insufficient

(2) \(y = –4(x+1) = -4x - 4\)
\(y – x^2 – x\)
--> \(- 4x - 4 – x^2 – x\)
--> \(– x^2 – 5x - 4\) --> Insufficient

Combining (1) & (2),
--> \(- 3x = -4x - 4\)
--> \(4x - 3x = -4\)
--> \(x = -4\)
--> \(y = - 3x = -3*-4 = 12\)

So, value of \(y – x^2 – x\) can be calculated --> Sufficient

IMO Option C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: What is the value of y – x^2 – x? (1) y = –3x (2) y = –4(x + 1) [#permalink]
Kudos
We are to determine the value of y - x^2 - x

1. y=-3x
This is insufficient because there are infinite possibilities. We have an equation with two variables, so we cannot determine specific values of y and x.

2. y=-4(x+1)
This is also insufficient because there are infinite possibilities since we have an equation with two variables. We are therefore unable to determine unique values for y and x.

1+2
Sufficient because we are able to solve the equations
y=-3x and y=-4(x+1)
-3x=-4x-4
x=-4
and y=12
Hence y-x^2-x=12-(16)-(-4) = 12-12=0

Statements 1 and 2 taken together are sufficient.

The answer is option C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
eakabuah wrote:

1. y=-3x
This is insufficient because there are infinite possibilities. We have an equation with two variables, so we cannot determine specific values of y and x.

2. y=-4(x+1)
This is also insufficient because there are infinite possibilities since we have an equation with two variables. We are therefore unable to determine unique values for y and x.

1+2
y=-3x and y=-4(x+1)
-3x=-4x-4
x=-4
and y=12

The answer is option C.

eakabuah
My thought process was: We need to find the value of X, and if we find the value of X, We will automatically find the value of Y.
Now isn't it a possibility that in solving the quadratic equation the value of X is common?
Am I missing something? Because I had to solve the equation in order to understand and conform the point you made without solving.
Please help me in clearing the understanding.

Regards
Devesh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
deveshj21 wrote:
eakabuah wrote:

1. y=-3x

2. y=-4(x+1)

1+2
y=-3x and y=-4(x+1)
-3x=-4x-4
x=-4
and y=12

The answer is option C.

eakabuah
My thought process was: We need to find the value of X, and if we find the value of X, We will automatically find the value of Y.
Now isn't it a possibility that in solving the quadratic equation the value of X is common?
Am I missing something? Because I had to solve the equation in order to understand and conform the point you made without solving.

Regards
Devesh

Hello deveshj21
Let me try to clear your doubts by further simplifying the problem.
The question is what is the value of y - x^2 - x?
One way you can look at this that will make you appreciate the task is to form an equation out of the question. All that you have to do to achieve it is to say if f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x, what is f(x,y)? From this point, you realize that the function f(x,y) depends on two variables. The question stem as it is without any clue can yield infinite solutions. Why? we are not restricted in any way to the values of x and y. So we can arbitrarily choose any value for x and y. x and y can be integers, fractions, irrational numbers, so obviously we need some clue to make sense out of f(x,y). With this reasoning, let's now re-evaluate the given statements (i.e. clues).

Statement 1: y=-3x.
What do we make of this statement? The idea is to find f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x.
Statement 1 says that replace y with -3x. In order words, find f(x,-3x), and this will yield f(x,-3x)=-3x - x^2 - x = -x^2 - 4x. I know you are tempted to solve at this point and say -[x(x+4)]=0, hence x=0 and x=-4 right? It doesn't work like that. x=0 and x=-4 are the values of x that make f(x,y)=0, but the question is not interested in making f(x,y)=0. What it is interested in is that you should find some numeric values for x and y, and plug it into the f(x,y) and what you get is the answer.

So let's relook at statement 1 again. Does the clue y=-3x lead us to get unique numeric values for x and y? How can I find specific values for x and y when all I have is one equation, meanwhile there are two variables? Clearly, statement 1 is insufficient. You need two equations in order to narrow down to unique values for x and y. Would statement 1 have been sufficient if we were given the value for one of the variables? Still no. Why? Because how would I determine the value of the other variable so I can plug them into f(x,y)? So even if were given one of the variables, we cannot determine f(x,y).

Statement 2: y=-4(x+1).
I'm sure you will agree with me that statement 2 is insufficient right, and that you cannot solve this equation to get unique values of x and y that you can plug into f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x to get a unique value. Hence let's move on.

1+2
y=-3x ......(1)
y=-4(x+1) ....(2)
Now you solve, but then and again, you actually don't need to sove these two equations. Why? All you need to ensure is that the two equations are not the same. Once you notice they are not the same, conclude that both statements are sufficient to determine the value of f(x,y). This mindset will hopefully save you time on the GMAT, mind you, I am no expert, I am yet to take my first GMAT exam.

The main point of ensuring that both statements are not identical is that you cannot solve two identical equations in two variables and get unique values for the two variables. So sometimes, they know most people won't bother to solve the equations and just say that the two statements when taken together are sufficient hence C is the answer. Hence in your bid to save time, ensure you double-check that the two equations are not identical or that you can actually solve them before concluding.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
eakabuah wrote:
deveshj21 wrote:
eakabuah wrote:

1. y=-3x

2. y=-4(x+1)

1+2
y=-3x and y=-4(x+1)
-3x=-4x-4
x=-4
and y=12

The answer is option C.

eakabuah

Regards
Devesh

Hello devesh
Let me try to clear your doubts by further simplifying the problem.
The question is what is the value of y - x^2 - x?
One way you can look at this that will make you appreciate the task is to form an equation out of the question. All that you have to do to achieve it is to say if f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x, what is f(x,y)? From this point, you realize that the function f(x,y) depends on two variables. The question stem as it is without any clue can yield infinite solutions. Why? we are not restricted in any way to the values of x and y. So we can arbitrarily choose any value for x and y. x and y can be integers, fractions, irrational numbers, so obviously we need some clue to make sense out of f(x,y). With this reasoning, let's now re-evaluate the given statements (i.e. clues).

Statement 1: y=-3x.
What do we make of this statement? The idea is to find f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x.
Statement 1 says that replace y with -3x. In order words, find f(x,-3x), and this will yield f(x,-3x)=-3x - x^2 - x = -x^2 - 4x. I know you are tempted to solve at this point and say -[x(x+4)]=0, hence x=0 and x=-4 right? It doesn't work like that. x=0 and x=-4 are the values of x that make f(x,y)=0, but the question is not interested in making f(x,y)=0. What it is interested in is that you should find some numeric values for x and y, and plug it into the f(x,y) and what you get is the answer.

So let's relook at statement 1 again. Does the clue y=-3x lead us to get unique numeric values for x and y? How can I find specific values for x and y when all I have is one equation, meanwhile there are two variables? Clearly, statement 1 is insufficient. You need two equations in order to narrow down to unique values for x and y. Would statement 1 have been sufficient if we were given the value for one of the variables? Still no. Why? Because how would I determine the value of the other variable so I can plug them into f(x,y)? So even if were given one of the variables, we cannot determine f(x,y).

Statement 2: y=-4(x+1).
I'm sure you will agree with me that statement 2 is insufficient right, and that you cannot solve this equation to get unique values of x and y that you can plug into f(x,y)=y - x^2 - x to get a unique value. Hence let's move on.

1+2
y=-3x ......(1)
y=-4(x+1) ....(2)
Now you solve, but then and again, you actually don't need to sove these two equations. Why? All you need to ensure is that the two equations are not the same. Once you notice they are not the same, conclude that both statements are sufficient to determine the value of f(x,y). This mindset will hopefully save you time on the GMAT, mind you, I am no expert, I am yet to take my first GMAT exam.

The main point of ensuring that both statements are not identical is that you cannot solve two identical equations in two variables and get unique values for the two variables. So sometimes, they know most people won't bother to solve the equations and just say that the two statements when taken together are sufficient hence C is the answer. Hence in your bid to save time, ensure you double-check that the two equations are not identical or that you can actually solve them before concluding.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

eakabuah
I really appreciate you for writing such a long yet crisp post to clear my doubt, now I know the concept.
About the two equations being same. Yes, I fell into the trap once and now I double check it every time.

Kudos to you:)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts