GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 06:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:21) correct 55% (02:08) wrong based on 151 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

sOURCE: McGra Hill GMAT 2013

When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ticket was $135.
Three decades later, the average price is $275, there are twice as many in-air
collisions, fliers in small markets are at the mercy of predatory carriers, and air rage is at
an all-time high. It is time to re-regulate the air travel industry.

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the above argument except for which statement?

A. Because of inflation, a $275 ticket today is actually 10 to 20 percent less expensive than a $135 ticket was in 1975.
B. Deregulation has increased the choices available to fliers in terms of both time of flight and carrier.
C. Airlines are currently flying more than five times as many passenger miles per year as they did in 1975.
D. Compared with passengers in large urban areas, passengers in small markets pay,
on average, twice as much per mile flown on domestic flights because their airports are generally served by fewer airlines.
E. Psychologists have been able to determine no connection between the deregulation of the airline industry and the onset of increased levels of air rage.

Final days of the GMAT Exam? Here is all of GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2017, 21:11
SajjadAhmad wrote:

When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ticket was $135.
collisions, fliers in small markets are at the mercy of predatory carriers, and air rage is at

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the above argument except for which statement?

A. Because of inflation, a $275 ticket today is actually 10 to 20 percent less expensive than a $135 ticket was in 1975.
B. Deregulation has increased the choices available to fliers in terms of both time of flight and carrier.
C. Airlines are currently flying more than five times as many passenger miles per year as they did in 1975.
D. Compared with passengers in large urban areas, passengers in small markets pay,
on average, twice as much per mile flown on domestic flights because their airports are generally served by fewer airlines.
E. Psychologists have been able to determine no connection between the deregulation of the airline industry and the onset of increased levels of air rage.

I was confused between D and E. I marked E as D says that fliers in smaller market are forced to pay twice the price as only few airlines are operative there. This kinda tells one of the de-merits of deregulation. Where is my understanding wrong ?

Originally posted by ankujgupta on 27 Jan 2017, 09:24.
Last edited by ankujgupta on 27 Jan 2017, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 18:30
ankujgupta wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I was confused between D and E. I marked E and D says that fliers in smaller market are forced to pay twice the price as only few airlines are operative there. This kinda tells one of the de-merits of deregulation. Where is my understanding wrong ?

I think ans is D. E actually weakens the argument, isn't it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 21:16
Sanjay2043 wrote:
ankujgupta wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

I was confused between D and E. I marked E and D says that fliers in smaller market are forced to pay twice the price as only few airlines are operative there. This kinda tells one of the de-merits of deregulation. Where is my understanding wrong ?

Read the question stem again. D actually points to demerits of deregulation so it supports that we should re-regulate it. Thus strengthening the argument. D is correct answer
SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 02:25
Sanjay2043 wrote:
ankujgupta wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

YES D is OA you can Check this at the end of every question by clicking [reveal]

Final days of the GMAT Exam? Here is all of GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 06:47
Conclusion: The airlines should be regulated.
Premises: The increase in price, air collisions, and air rage. Fliers in small markets are at the mercy of predatory carriers.
Assumptions: That deregulation is causing the problems listed above. That there are no benefits that justify the deregulation. That there are no negative effects that would be caused by re-regulation.

A. Because of inflation, a $275 ticket today is actually 10 to 20% less expensive than a $135 ticket was in 1975. Shows that inflation, not deregulation, is causing the increase in price. Weakens the causal assumption made in the argument. Eliminate A.

B. Deregulation has increased the choices available to fliers in terms of both time of flight and carrier. Shows that deregulation has a benefit. Eliminate B.

C. Airlines are currently flying more than five times as many passenger miles per year as they did in 1975. Shows that an increase in the number of passengers might be causing the problems listed in the argument. Weakens the assumption that deregulation is causing these problems. Eliminate C.

D. Compared with passengers in large urban areas, passengers in small markets pay, on average, twice as much per mile flying on domestic flights because their airports are generally served by fewer airlines. Correct. Strengthens the conclusion that the airlines should be regulated.

E. Psychologists have been able to determine no connection between the deregulation of the airline industry and the onset of increased levels of air rage. Weakens the assumption that deregulation is causing the air rage. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
GMAT Club Bot
When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti &nbs [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 06:47

When airlines were deregulated in the 1970s, the average price of a ti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap