GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 278
Location: SFO Bay Area
Schools: Berkeley Haas
When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2008, 17:32
3
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (00:57) correct 30% (01:15) wrong based on 397 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer. Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best explanation for this occurrence?


a) The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.

b) Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.

c) The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.

d) Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.

e) Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 745
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2008, 17:58
Conclusion: The average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has increased.

a) The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro. [This has no direct relation to increase in average number of meals – eliminate it]
b) Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town. [Enticing, but no guarantee that all the Bob’s Bistro customers go to Andrew’s Eatery – eliminate it]
c)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery. [Profit per meal is out of scope – eliminate it]
d) Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat. [This weakens the conclusion – eliminate it]
e)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.[Hold it]

Answer: E
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 760
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2008, 18:35
2
1
I would go for 'D'.

We have to find out the best explanation to the occurrence- 'in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly'.

The cause of above scenario -addition of some more customers to Andrew's Eatery. This is possible only when new customers are added to the market of Mantrose and Andrew's Eatery is able to add them to its customer list.
The incident mentioned in 'D' supports this.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1279
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2008, 17:41
1
1
vksunder wrote:
When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer. Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.
Which of the following, if true, provides the best explanation for this occurrence?

a.The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro. -> what if lower in price but number of customers and the times they have meal will not change from before
b. Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town. -> does not explain y revenues rise for andrew since on other days than sunday people go to bob.andrews lost its customers
c. The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery. -> IRRELEVANT
d. Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat. -> IMO D .Provided all the conditions remain the same .The average number of meals per day at andrews increases only when more number of people have food at andrews or more tims a day than before people started having food at andrews.Hence this option provides best explanation for the same .
e. Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.-> irrelevant.This does not explain the difference in scenario between before BOB opened and after

_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 326
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2008, 17:51
spriya - I disagree with your reasoning for A. Dont you think Lower prices will attract more customes.

Please are alawys on the look out for cheaper deals:) what say?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1279
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2008, 18:32
vksunder wrote:
spriya - I disagree with your reasoning for A. Dont you think Lower prices will attract more customes.

Please are alawys on the look out for cheaper deals:) what say?

Here in this case the andrews are already in business in the particular city .They alrady have a customer base.So here the scenario states that once BOB opens in the city average meals per day rise at andrews
does it mean once bobs opened.
Here option A states that prices per meal at andrews are lower than BOBs so will it increase customer base? or prevent previous customers from leaving andrews?
Now consider one more scenario ,say Andrews lowered the price per meal in competion with BOB then wont it lead to losses .This also ll just help in preventing loss of previous customers with losses compared to previous year .
Here if at all we say customers who till now didnt come to andrews started coming to andrews when bob opened due to lower prices in andrews ,the also theres no striong support stating where from these customers came.

I Do agree lower prices attract customers but here we talking about
already existing customers and a new scenario where customer count increases inspite of another new competitive company in market.IMO D

_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 272
Location: Hungary
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2009, 02:59
3
I think the answer is D, because Bob’s Bistro can bring additional customers for Andrew’s Eatery as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 16
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2009, 04:12
1
zalton is right .

answer is D
but is it not that we are assuming things like that while may be A can also be partially correct
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1474
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2009, 04:22
1
quit123 wrote:
zalton is right .

answer is D
but is it not that we are assuming things like that while may be A can also be partially correct


Look at it this way. What if the price is lower but food quality is also substantially lower? This will not guarantee the claim in the argument.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 587
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2009, 11:06
4
IMO D. See the bolded part.

When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer. Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best explanation for this occurrence?

A)The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.
- Does not provide answer that why the sale is more
B)Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.
- Brunch!! but we are concerned about Meal. And sale on Sunday may not contribute on total sales because neighboring town is also one share holder.
C)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.
- That's Good for Bob but andrew does not care.
D)Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose befo- re, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.
- Now if previously only 100 people used to dine at Andrew's shop now the number would be 150 because those extra 50 people can't seat at Bob's shop. Hence D explains increase in total avg number of meals now.
E)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.
- Ok, but that does not explain why the avg number of meal is more NOW?
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 17
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2010, 04:59
2
When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer. Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best explanation for this occurrence?

(A)The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.
(B)Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.
(C)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.
(D)Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.
(E)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.

Answer: Average increased hence total number of meals sold each day or on any given day has to be increased. There has to be increase in the total number of people eating out . Coz if there is no increase in the numberof people eating out then even after nobody eats at the new restaurant (Bob's bistro), andrews meals sold should have remained constant.

Hence Answer is D.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2010, 10:55
1
D ~ I'd put this under the "inference" catagory as far as question type. Maybe read it this way... "Given the information in the article, what is causing Andrew's Eatery to receive more customers?"

The other 4 answers are a far stretch from the given information in the article in that the article doesn't mention pricing or weekend scheduling. The only information given is that there is a new Bistro and the stated consequence to the other restaurant in town is that they are receiving more customers now.

The least far jump you can make with the given information is that the Bistro is drawing in more people to the area than it can handle and the overage is heading over to Andrew's Eatery. ~ D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2010, 11:05
1
Answer is D. If Bob's Bistro cannot accomodate additional people, likelihood of them going Andy's Bistro is likely which will increase his business.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Schools: Temple University; Drexel University, Lassale University, Holy Family
WE 1: Teaching
WE 2: Curtomer service/ Administrative
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2010, 12:13
1
Yes its D; earlier i thought it to be A but only because pricing was not mentioned in the argument, it made me think twice :roll: and i went through the options again. then i thought that D is more logical because the question is that Andrew's eatery had increase in average meals per day ,that has no conection to Bob's bistro not doing good or being pricy. it can be doing better than Andrew's eatery .. who knows? :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 99
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2010, 22:49
(A)The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro. ( irrelevant...we don't care about the price only number of meals per day)
(B)Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town. (looks reasonable but not very strong 1) Bistro could still steal customers from Andrew's every other day - thus number of meals per day may not go up for Andrew from the Sunday opportunities alone 2) other ventures in neighboring town might also take up the share freed up by Bob's Bitro on Sundays.)
(C)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery. ( no one cares about profit here....same reason as 1)
(D)Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat. (right answer)
(E)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro. ( don't care about the comparison of the distribution of daily meals)
_________________

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 184
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2010, 12:22
D

(A)The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro. Price isnt compeling enough reason for high average for number of meals sold...
(B)Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town. Compeling but vague to the argument core of higher number of meals...
(C)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery. Profit has nothing doing here.
(D)Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.
Wins the argument on patronage, higher indicates increased number of sold meals...
(E)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro. Day of the week does not guarantee higher patronage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 487
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2013, 06:47
(A) The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.
cost of the meal has no relevance to the increase in average no. of meals served per day. Incorrect
(B) Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.
Doesn't ensure SIGNIFICANT increase in average no. of meals served per day.Incorrect
(C) The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.
"Profit " is not in the scope of the question.Incorrect.
(D) Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.
...the customers who could not get seated are dining at Andrew's Eatery , and that states that the increase in meals served / day.Correct.
(E) Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.
More meals served on weekends, but how much? More enough to compensate or hike the daily average of meals served?Insufficient. Incorrect.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3445
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2013, 08:39
This is a must be true question or discrepancy. so the argument does not have the conclusion itself. but whatever the argument is, sometimes I do not read neither the question stem because how is formulated I already know almost the times what's going on. the power of practice.

Now

When the Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer

This is a fact. OK

Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.


MMMMM i do not know how is this possible but maybe the food is awful at Bob's bistro or the waiters are ugly.....ok we will see.

A)The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.

I do not know anything about the price. is too far from my thoughts to imagine. Nope incorrect

(B)Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.

I do not know the hours when the local is closed and neither if someone comes from other town or continent. I do not know from the brief passage sufficient information Incorrect

(C)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.

The profit per meal is higher and bla bla bla.......some old story from above. Incorrect

(D)Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.

Mmmmm this could be fine: the new local attracts new customers because there is logic that we can infer behind: people want to eat at new restaurant. this is reasonable. AND whenever Andrew’s Eatery is full (this is an explanation why it serves more meals) then people go to the new local. Correct

(E)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.

Same as A B C. Incorrect



So the answer is D and this is the way how you must attack a question. Otherwise you will pick them always (or alomost) wrong because the wording of the stimulus and the questions are tough

regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 12:19
KarishmaB
can you please tell me why option A is not correct?
my thought:
if price per meal is lower in A than that of in b, customers will go to A's.so increase in sale
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2113
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 19:56
1
suntaurian wrote:
When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the proprietors of Andrew’s Eatery, the only other restaurant in town, feared that their business would suffer. Surprisingly though, in the past year the average number of meals per day served at Andrew’s Eatery has actually increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best explanation for this occurrence?

a) The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro.
b) Bob’s Bistro is closed on Sundays, and so for Sunday brunch residents of Montrose would either go to Andrew’s Eatery or venture to a neighboring town.
c)The profit per meal is higher, on average, at Bob’s Bistro than it is at Andrew’s Eatery.
d) Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.
e)Andrew’s Eatery serves considerably more meals on weekends than it does on weekdays, which is not the case at Bob’s Bistro.



JAIN09 wrote:
KarishmaB
can you please tell me why option A is not correct?
my thought:
if price per meal is lower in A than that of in b, customers will go to A's.so increase in sale


Hi JAIN09,

a) The meals at Andrew’s Eatery are substantially lower in price than those offered at Bob’s Bistro. - Firstly Andrew's Eatery was the ONLY restaurant until Bob's Bistro opened, so all the people of Montrose who wanted to dine out would go there. But now, at least a few customers will go to Bistro. So, net customers will decrease in Andrew's Eatery.

d) Bob’s Bistro attracts a large number of patrons that had never dined in Montrose before, and on many days Bob’s Bistro attracts more customers than it can seat.-- CORRECT -- Now there are lots of people who had never dined in Montrose before and when these people finally reach Bob's Bistro and are unable to find seats, they might end up eating at Andrew's eatery.

Analogy of D - After the arrival of multiplex movie theatres in India, lots of small budget films(not featuring superstars) started doing better than before. So, one of the reasons is there are lots of people who go to watch movies featuring superstars but on reaching the theatre, they find that tickets are already sold out for that particular film. So, some of these people end up watching small budget films.

Hope this helps!! :-)
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jul 2018, 19:56

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

When Bob’s Bistro opened in the town of Montrose last year, the propri

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.