GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 13:18
Hi all-
I've seen a few similar posts to this but each person has their own situation. Here's mine.

I've been at my current company for a year. The company has no idea I was applying to business school. I got recommendations from a former employer. I highly despise my current supervisor but I have a good relationship with the Senior Vice President (my boss' boss). I do not know how my current boss will react to the news that I'm leaving. She thinks I do good work, but, again, I highly despise her.

I am debating how much time to give leave notice. I checked the company employee handbook and there isn't anything specifically in there about how much notice to give. Technically I'm an at-will employee. I've known for months I got into business school but they have no way of finding out. I'm hearing from some people to give as much notice as possible (the most I would give is one month notice) so as "not to burn a bridge" and give time to transition. Others have said that two weeks notice is standard and there's no reason to give more/ or that I won't need a reference later on so it wouldn't matter. I don't necessarily buy that I won't need a reference later on but am unsure how the hiring process works for internships and post- MBAs. (disclaimer: I do not plan on returning to the company but don't want to burn a bridge). I'm worried about being "pushed out". A coworker on my time gave her two weeks notice and was pushed out later that week (I think she was on bad terms with management). At my company, it takes a while to fill positions - they wait for the "right person" or don't fill the position at all.

Bottom line is I would like to give more than two weeks but I don't want to risk losing the pay. I also don't want to burn a bridge, even though two weeks is standard. They would have to assume I just found out.

Any advice given my current situation? Maybe 3 weeks is the sweet spot? FYI - I'd like to stop working early June, so I'd give my notice sometime in May. PLEASE HELP! Feedback appreciated.
BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge
Re: When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 17:10
businessfanatic20 wrote:
Hi all-
I've seen a few similar posts to this but each person has their own situation. Here's mine.

I've been at my current company for a year. The company has no idea I was applying to business school. I got recommendations from a former employer. I highly despise my current supervisor but I have a good relationship with the Senior Vice President (my boss' boss). I do not know how my current boss will react to the news that I'm leaving. She thinks I do good work, but, again, I highly despise her.

I am debating how much time to give leave notice. I checked the company employee handbook and there isn't anything specifically in there about how much notice to give. Technically I'm an at-will employee. I've known for months I got into business school but they have no way of finding out. I'm hearing from some people to give as much notice as possible (the most I would give is one month notice) so as "not to burn a bridge" and give time to transition. Others have said that two weeks notice is standard and there's no reason to give more/ or that I won't need a reference later on so it wouldn't matter. I don't necessarily buy that I won't need a reference later on but am unsure how the hiring process works for internships and post- MBAs. (disclaimer: I do not plan on returning to the company but don't want to burn a bridge). I'm worried about being "pushed out". A coworker on my time gave her two weeks notice and was pushed out later that week (I think she was on bad terms with management). At my company, it takes a while to fill positions - they wait for the "right person" or don't fill the position at all.

Bottom line is I would like to give more than two weeks but I don't want to risk losing the pay. I also don't want to burn a bridge, even though two weeks is standard. They would have to assume I just found out.

Any advice given my current situation? Maybe 3 weeks is the sweet spot? FYI - I'd like to stop working early June, so I'd give my notice sometime in May. PLEASE HELP! Feedback appreciated.

I've already put in my notice with a final end date in july, but I've had close contact with my managers throughout the whole process and knew I'd likely be leaving months ago. My advise, which probably isn't helpful, is to give as much notice as you feel comfortable. I know I will not be fired before my end date, so I was comfortable with letting them know and letting me onboard my own replacement. If I worked in a larger org where losing a single guy wasn't such a big deal, I'd probably hold out for 2/3 weeks to avoid the chance I was fired/asked to leave prematurely. You don't have much of an obligation to them to give any more, and as long as you do it respectfully, it shouldn't burn any bridges.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 03:40
Hey businessfanatic20 ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

I will share my experience here.

I got my admit on 1st Dec but I didn't disclose anything until my yearly bonus was finalized and I was given the confirmation letter.

When I received my letter from my manager, I told him I am resigning the very next day!

Then I served my notice period and received my entire bonus amount.

if you are in a similar situation, wait for your bonus(after all it is very important when we are going back to school) and then resign.

Else you can resign as soon as possible and enjoy your Pre MBA days.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 03:40

When do I tell my employer I'm leaving for b-school?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap