GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should a rusty old gent attempt his first GMAT Prep CAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
When should a rusty old gent attempt his first GMAT Prep CAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 10:25
Hello everyone!

It is at the ripe old age of 31 - and after having worked as an engineer for 9 years - that I have decided to act upon a longstanding desire to acquire an MBA degree. 5 days ago I did not know the expansion of 'GMAT', but having spent a few days poring through the GMAC website and this goldmine of a forum, I have acquired a fair bit of an idea about the mountain I must now climb.

An oft-repeated bit of counsel I have come across here is that one should attempt their first GMAT Prep CAT as soon as they have a broad understanding of the pattern of the test, in order to identify their strengths and weaknesses. However, the last time I wrote something that remotely resembled an examination was 6 years ago. Since then, there have been very few instances when I have had the need to concentrate continuously for an extended period of time.

My apprehension is that if I attempt a CAT within a day or two, I might be too slow simply because my mind is not used to writing a test, and as a result my score might not be indicative of my true strengths and weaknesses. I am, therefore, confused as to whether I should first try solving sample questions with a timer for a few days just to give my brain a whetstone of sorts, or whether I should leave aside such thoughts and dive headlong into a CAT at the first window of time I get.

I shall be grateful for any help in this regard.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When should a rusty old gent attempt his first GMAT Prep CAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Interrobong wrote:
Hello everyone!

It is at the ripe old age of 31 - and after having worked as an engineer for 9 years - that I have decided to act upon a longstanding desire to acquire an MBA degree. 5 days ago I did not know the expansion of 'GMAT', but having spent a few days poring through the GMAC website and this goldmine of a forum, I have acquired a fair bit of an idea about the mountain I must now climb.

An oft-repeated bit of counsel I have come across here is that one should attempt their first GMAT Prep CAT as soon as they have a broad understanding of the pattern of the test, in order to identify their strengths and weaknesses. However, the last time I wrote something that remotely resembled an examination was 6 years ago. Since then, there have been very few instances when I have had the need to concentrate continuously for an extended period of time.

My apprehension is that if I attempt a CAT within a day or two, I might be too slow simply because my mind is not used to writing a test, and as a result my score might not be indicative of my true strengths and weaknesses. I am, therefore, confused as to whether I should first try solving sample questions with a timer for a few days just to give my brain a whetstone of sorts, or whether I should leave aside such thoughts and dive headlong into a CAT at the first window of time I get.

I shall be grateful for any help in this regard.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi,

You are right that you should not jump to GMAT prep diagnostic test directly. IMO you should review the syllabus of GMAT first, and mainly for Quant and Verbal. Review your basics a bit of both the topics. This shall include math formulas, grammar etc. And then give a diagnostic test when you are mentally ready. GMAT is really a painful journey, and you must be mentally prepared for lots of ups and downs till you achieve your dream score. GMAT club is a great community where you will get every resource to crack this exam. This is a marathon test. You must have a habit of staring at screen for a longer duration. So all these traits you will achieve slowly and steadily. Till then get into test mindset for few days.

QZ.

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Interrobong

First of all, Welcome to GMATClub!

I think it is important for you to understand the purpose of taking this first mock?
For me, it was to understand the topic which needed more work than the others!
If you think Quant needs a lot of improvement, there is no harm in working on the
concepts. But the idea is not to spend too much time during this initial phase!
Another important thing is to study from good material.

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 20:01
QZ wrote:
Interrobong wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hi,

You are right that you should not jump to GMAT prep diagnostic test directly. IMO you should review the syllabus of GMAT first, and mainly for Quant and Verbal. Review your basics a bit of both the topics. This shall include math formulas, grammar etc. And then give a diagnostic test when you are mentally ready. GMAT is really a painful journey, and you must be mentally prepared for lots of ups and downs till you achieve your dream score. GMAT club is a great community where you will get every resource to crack this exam. This is a marathon test. You must have a habit of staring at screen for a longer duration. So all these traits you will achieve slowly and steadily. Till then get into test mindset for few days.

QZ.

Thank you for the response, QZ.

Can you suggest a source for a good run-through of the basics of Quant and Verbal? I have the MGMAT Quant guides but from the little knowledge I have gathered, they may be overkill before attempting the first CAT.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 20:25
pushpitkc wrote:

First of all, Welcome to GMATClub!

I think it is important for you to understand the purpose of taking this first mock?
For me, it was to understand the topic which needed more work than the others!
If you think Quant needs a lot of improvement, there is no harm in working on the
concepts. But the idea is not to spend too much time during this initial phase!
Another important thing is to study from good material.

Hope this helps you!

Thank you for the response, Pushpitkc.

I do understand that the purpose of taking the first mock is to understand my strengths and weaknesses, which would in turn help me build a study plan. My apprehension is merely that I may be too rusty from my long years of non-academic life, and hence underperform in sections not because I'm weak in them but because of my lack of recent exposure to an examination environment. So if I write a CAT today, I might get a better score in Verbal simply because I read a lot and a lower score in Quant because I'm not used to doing quick math. This would put me under the impression that I need more work on Quant than Verbal, when in reality I might have poor fundamentals in Verbal and just a bit out of practice in Quant. Hence, I was wondering if I should work on fundamentals a bit and solve sample questions to get in the groove before attempting my first CAT.

Do you agree with this, or do you feel rustiness won't make much of a difference to my overall score and I should just take the mock?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Interrobong wrote:
QZ wrote:
Interrobong wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hi,

QZ.

Can you suggest a source for a good run-through of the basics of Quant and Verbal? I have the MGMAT Quant guides but from the little knowledge I have gathered, they may be overkill before attempting the first CAT.

Thanks!

Hi, the GMATclub has released books for both math and verbal which will help you brush up your basics.

Here are the links for downloading them:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... 30609.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 33952.html

Hope this helps!

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful :-)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Wildflower wrote:

Hi, the GMATclub has released books for both math and verbal which will help you brush up your basics.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, Wildflower. This is exactly what I needed.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
Interrobong wrote:
Thank you for the response, Pushpitkc.

I do understand that the purpose of taking the first mock is to understand my strengths and weaknesses, which would in turn help me build a study plan. My apprehension is merely that I may be too rusty from my long years of non-academic life, and hence underperform in sections not because I'm weak in them but because of my lack of recent exposure to an examination environment. So if I write a CAT today, I might get a better score in Verbal simply because I read a lot and a lower score in Quant because I'm not used to doing quick math. This would put me under the impression that I need more work on Quant than Verbal, when in reality I might have poor fundamentals in Verbal and just a bit out of practice in Quant. Hence, I was wondering if I should work on fundamentals a bit and solve sample questions to get in the groove before attempting my first CAT.

Do you agree with this, or do you feel rustiness won't make much of a difference to my overall score and I should just take the mock?

Thanks!
If you truly feel you are rusty, getting out of that means taking tests, not postponing them :-)

It's clearly not necessary for you to take a practice test immediately. It's just that the upside to taking a practice test is much greater than the downside. At worst, you'll get a lower score than you would have after preparing for another 2 weeks. But the test will help you get an idea of what you need to work on and provide you the context around which you can take better decisions about how to study. At a very basic level, I think that you'll also be better able to relate to many of the discussions on this forum after taking a practice test.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 01:11
AjiteshArun wrote:
If you truly feel you are rusty, getting out of that means taking tests, not postponing them :-)

It's clearly not necessary for you to take a practice test immediately. It's just that the upside to taking a practice test is much greater than the downside. At worst, you'll get a lower score than you would have after preparing for another 2 weeks. But the test will help you get an idea of what you need to work on and provide you the context around which you can take better decisions about how to study. At a very basic level, I think that you'll also be better able to relate to many of the discussions on this forum after taking a practice test.

Thank you for the response, AjiteshArun.

You make a fair point. Until I let myself at a test, I won't be off the blocks. I think I'll just spend 3-4 days skimming through the basics and attempt a CAT thereafter.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
Interrobong wrote:
You make a fair point. Until I let myself at a test, I won't be off the blocks. I think I'll just spend 3-4 days skimming through the basics and attempt a CAT thereafter.

Have you purchased the Official Guide yet? If not, you might as well do so right away. That is the only 100% must-purchase material you need. In it, you will find a diagnostic test at the beginning. It might not give you an exact number score, but if you take it while timing yourself, you'll get an idea of the speed at which you need to tackle the material. I feel like that would be a better use of your time and resources than an official GMATPrep CAT.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 07:58
jsheppa wrote:
Have you purchased the Official Guide yet? If not, you might as well do so right away. That is the only 100% must-purchase material you need. In it, you will find a diagnostic test at the beginning. It might not give you an exact number score, but if you take it while timing yourself, you'll get an idea of the speed at which you need to tackle the material. I feel like that would be a better use of your time and resources than an official GMATPrep CAT.

Oh I didn't know that! Thank you for the input, jsheppa. My OG is presently in shipping and I shall certainly go through the diagnostic test as soon as I lay my hands upon it.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 10:16
Interrobong wrote:
QZ wrote:
Interrobong wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hi,

QZ.

Thanks!

Yous should review MGMAT guides for both Q and V along with GC quant and grammar book. Links for both are provided in the thread above. Take 2 - 3 days and take a diagnostic then.

QZ

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 23:18
QZ wrote:

Yous should review MGMAT guides for both Q and V along with GC quant and grammar book. Links for both are provided in the thread above. Take 2 - 3 days and take a diagnostic then.

QZ

Thank you again, QZ. I shall skim through the books and take the diagnostic pronto.
Re: When should a rusty old gent attempt his first GMAT Prep CAT?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 23:18

When should a rusty old gent attempt his first GMAT Prep CAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap