GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Dec 2007, 18:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:01) correct 30% (01:05) wrong based on 675 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets without their initially being assisted by a rocket, a scramjet, or supersonic combustion ramjet, can attain high speeds by reducing airflow compression at the entrance of the engine and letting air pass through at supersonic speeds.

(A) Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets without their initially being assisted by

(B) Whereas a ramjet generally cannot achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of

(C) With ramjets, high speeds generally are not able to be achieved without initially being assisted by

(D) Unlike the ramjets, generally unable to achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of

(E) Although a ramjet generally does not have the capability of achieving high speeds without the initial assistance from

Similar questions from OG: LINK

Originally posted by eyunni on 08 Dec 2007, 13:59.
Last edited by eyunni on 09 Dec 2007, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:38
A few issues with D:

*"Unlike" is a problem because it makes us compare ramjets to ramjets! Notice that a scramjet is a kind of ramjet. It would be like saying "Unlike dogs, chihuahuas, which are small dogs, do not need much food." Chihuahuas may be unlike *most* dogs, but we can't say they are unlike dogs in general!
*"The ramjets" is wrong. We aren't talking about a certain group of ramjets, so "the" is inappropriate. It's like saying "I like the apples." If you aren't talking about a specific group of apples, it makes no sense.
*The modifier starting with "generally unable" is wrong. It is taking the form of an adverbial modifier, so we'd actually expect it to modify the following clause: "a scramjet . . . can attain high speeds." So we're saying "Unable to achieve high speeds, a scramjet can attain high speeds." Of course this is impossible. Now if what I'm saying doesn't seem accurate to you, it's perhaps because we have *two* initial modifiers in a row in this choice, making it hard to tell what the sentence is really trying to say.

anje29, the issues you mentioned are actually not flaws in D. (It has enough!) It's fine to compare a plural noun with a singular noun, and we don't need to have to words "can" and "cannot" to have parallelism. For instance, it would be fine to say "Sloths do not run very fast, but a cornered sloth can strike quickly."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2007, 14:48
eyunni wrote:
Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets without their initially being assisted by a rocket, a scramjet, or supersonic combustion ramjet, can attain high speeds by reducing airflow compression at the entrance of the engine and letting air pass through at supersonic speeds.

(A) Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets without their initially being assisted by

(B) Whereas a ramjet generally cannot achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of

(C) With ramjets, high speeds generally are not able to be achieved without initially being assisted by

(D) Unlike the ramjets, generally unable to achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of

(E) Although a ramjet generally does not have the capability of achieving high speeds without the initial assistance from

Only with explanations.

I'll pick B. The highlighted section of the sentence can be simplified to read as "Unlike X, Y", which is what option B is all about. Though D reflects a similar construction, the organization is whacky and not as crisp as B
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2007, 20:40
Another B for proper comparision: a ramjet (singular) with a scramjet (singular).

eyunni wrote:

Only with explanations.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2007, 22:20
eyunni wrote:

Only with explanations.

I'd also pick B. D is tempting, but it uses plural "ramjets", while in the second part is singular "scramjet"
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2007, 08:50
B

Adding to what everyone said - it is also || "cannot achieve, can attain"
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2007, 19:34
OA is B. I chose (B) but is anything wrong with (E)?
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2007, 20:01
E is wrong because the correct idiom is "capability to."
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2007, 00:59
eyunni wrote:
OA is B. I chose (B) but is anything wrong with (E)?

Both the conjunctions - 'whereas' & 'although' has different usage.

Although - it is used to connect 2 different clauses which are related to one another. Some thing like despite the fact or but
Although she knew that it was dangerous, she walked home by herself.
Although I begged him not to, he decided to go.

Whereas - is used to compare to things totally unique by themselves. Like comaprison of apples to oranges on a common attribute

He must be about sixty, whereas his wife looks about thirty.
You eat a massive plate of food for lunch, whereas I have just a sandwich.

Moreover in 'E' the phrase 'does not have the capability' is wordy and it is out of synch with can attain
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 00:07
why E is wrong?

because it is wordy. that is the only reason for which we eliminate it
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 09:00
----1. AWKWARD and WORDY

(B) Whereas a ramjet generally cannot achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of ------ The "Best" option

----1. With ramjets is not parallel to "a scramjet"
----2. being assisted by is wordy and awkward

-----Modifier issue, There should have been a "which" before generally

-----Meaning has been changed[/list]
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 03:46
with regard to option D, can someone clarify this or me:

1. is the use of a plural the only reason why the option is wrong?

2. If we were to use a singular, is the use of unlike ok?

3. Does the use of 'the' before ramjets distort parallelism in any way?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 03:56
eyunni wrote:

Only with explanations.

A - 'being' is unnecessary + the comparison is between a ramjet and a scramjet, and NOT high speeds and a ramjet. OUT.
B - No errors. KEEP.
C - 'are not able to be achieved' and 'being assisted by' - Extremely verbose. OUT.
D - This makes it sound like the comparison is between ramjets, and achieving high speeds. 'Unlike' signals a comparison is to follow, but one never did. OUT.
E - Unbelievable verbose! Between this and B, B wins.

B is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:07
Hi akshayk, how does 'unlike' make the comparison between ramjets, and achieving high speeds.

isn't ' generally unable to achieve high speeds without the initial assistance of a rocket' an appositive here?

Also, can you please have a look at my previous post and solve my doubt with other doubts on option D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:36
ameyaprabhu wrote:
with regard to option D, can someone clarify this or me:

2. If we were to use a singular, is the use of unlike ok?
So 2 issues here in my view :-
1) the 'generally.... rocket' after the 'Unlike Ramjets' make it seem like the comparison is between Ramjets, and generally unable to achieve high speeds.
2) If we take 'generally... rocket' as an appositive, it changes what the sentence is trying to showcase ie. the difference between attaining of high speeds by ramjets and scramjets, because an appositive between 2 commas makes it a non-essential modifier NOT required to understand the meaning of the sentence.

3. Does the use of 'the' before ramjets distort parallelism in any way?

Unlike The Game 'Triple H', Stone Cold loves beer.
'the' has nothing to do with parallelism
With Like/Unlike, we just need to make sure that a 'noun' is compared to a 'noun'.
'the' and 'a' are both articles.

Hope this helps :)
If you still have doubts, request for an expert reply. They should be able to guide you better.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 21:51
Dear Expert,
Please clarify why B is better than D. I assume there are 2 points :
1. Parallel cannot , can.
2. In D ramjets is plural.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jul 2017, 22:03
eyunni wrote:

Similar questions from OG: LINK

A " being " is wrong is A , "their " is ambiguous and the sentence is written in passive .
B is correct
C there is no contrast as the original sentence wants to convey also use of preposition with is wrong .
D The is meaning error and it is fragment without main verb .
E it long and wordy, there is a change in meaning it is saying that it is not capable to achieve high speeds .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 30 Jul 2017, 20:17.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 30 Jul 2017, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 21:33
Careful, arvind910619. Every incorrect answer choice has to actually be wrong in some clear way. Choices aren't wrong simply because of length/wordiness, passive voice, or the word "being." Try running back through this thread and seeing if you can identify grammar/meaning errors in all the incorrect choices.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 02:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets &nbs [#permalink] 26 Oct 2018, 02:38

Whereas high speeds generally cannot be achieved by ramjets

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap