GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which schools to apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Which schools to apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 13:05
I am a 26 yr old Indian Female.
GMAT 750
3.5 yrs work ex as a Software engineer in one of the best tech companies
Some extracurricular work in college, but not much during work.
10th 92% 12th 95%
UnderGrad(B.Tech) 82% from a not so well known college

Aiming to apply in H/S/W and ISB for now since I'm more inclined towards staying in India post my MBA.
Nonetheless, I won't mind going to the US for a very good school.
I would like to continue in the tech industry post my MBA. Maybe in Product Management.

What are my chances at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton?

Should I be applying to other schools? (Mostly looking at US)
and which should they be?

Does it make sense to complete your studies abroad and come back to India for work?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Re: Which schools to apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 13:41
AstarLstar wrote:
GMAT 750
10th 92% 12th 95%

Aiming to apply in H/S/W and ISB for now since I'm more inclined towards staying in India post my MBA.
I would like to continue in the tech industry post my MBA. Maybe in Product Management.

Does it make sense to complete your studies abroad and come back to India for work?

Hello AstarLstar

Being a female is going to be your strength from diversification perspective in the eyes of admission committee.

You scored excellent on GMAT :clap: and that alone is enough to put you in any school on planet, including ones you mention on your application list.

Let me provide you with some facts regarding that :

Harvard Median GMAT is 730;

Stanford average GMAT is 732;

Wharton GMAT Mean is 732 also;

ISB average GMAT score is 711;

Since you are more inclined toward your home country, you can check that info and for other top Indian (Asian) schools in my post here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-asia- ... 84064.html

You have a really solid chance at all mentioned schools, or any other you may select.

Should you apply to other schools ?

In my opinion no, only if you have some additional favorites, beware that lot of schools will not allow you to focus and invest necessary time and prep for particular school application.

It does make sense a lot to complete your studies abroad and come back to India to work, in fact that is something very specific that I see quite often for Indians, don't know if that is cultural thing (being very attached to your family etc.), but on the other hand it is quite desirable/recommendable goal to be commented in personal essay.

Good Luck with application ! :cool:
G
Re: Which schools to apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 19:59
Hi AstarLstar,
Thanks for posting! Congrats on a solid GMAT score.
It sounds like your strengths going into this process include: GMAT, solid undergrad grades, some ECs in college, great company, solid work experience, and as mentioned being female can be a plus (if overall profile is also strong of course).
Potential weaknesses based on what you've shared here may include: less well-known college; lack of recent community or EC involvement; and being Indian doesn't do any favors though not a weakness of course, just a common applicant nationality as I'm sure you know.
And there are a lot of unknowns (to me) that may make an impact, such as: how much leadership experience you have; promotions; accomplishments at work; management experience; international experience..... plus how your recommendations, essays, interviews will shape up of course! I also am not sure you mentioned timing/when you might apply, as later in the process can make things a bit tougher...

The strengths here should help so I wouldn't rule out a H/S/Wh possibility... that said GMAT does not get applicants in to schools such as these.... they turn away 750+ GMAT scorers regularly and are just THAT difficult, especially Stanford and Harvard..... so a lot depends upon how your profile and application shape up holistically, how you tell your story, and how you stack up against other applicants that season.

For better chances yes I'd suggest adding other top 10/15 US schools.... but again not sure on your timing; it's common to apply to 3-6 schools in a given admissions round...

Feel free to reach out at any point for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss further if desired, at www.mbamission.com/consult, and/or good luck either way!

AstarLstar wrote:
GMAT 750
10th 92% 12th 95%

Re: Which schools to apply to?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2018, 19:59

Which schools to apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi