It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 02:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they got home, the temperature rose markedly.
(A) While at the beach, the weather was
(B) While they were at the beach, the weather was
(C) While at the beach, they had been
(D) While being at the beach, the weather was
(E) While at the beach, the weather had been

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 855

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 02:56
scthakur wrote:
While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they got home, the temperature rose markedly.
(A) While at the beach, the weather was
(B) While they were at the beach, the weather was
(C) While at the beach, they had been
(D) While being at the beach, the weather was
(E) While at the beach, the weather had been

B for parallelism. Also, "but" connects two independent clauses - hence "were" is necessary.

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 7

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 03:05
botirvoy wrote:
B for parallelism. Also, "but" connects two independent clauses - hence "were" is necessary.


But, why is past perfect tense not required in the previous clause?

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 855

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 03:27
scthakur wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
B for parallelism. Also, "but" connects two independent clauses - hence "were" is necessary.


But, why is past perfect tense not required in the previous clause?

I believe, we use past perfect when we want to make a clear distinction of when something happened. To put it another way, we resort to past perfect when using simple past creates ambiguities - in this sentence, sequence of events are clear and therefore there is no need to use past perfect.

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 960

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 14:59
I agree with this. GMAT likes it simple. If the simple past can suffice, then use it.

botirvoy wrote:
scthakur wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
B for parallelism. Also, "but" connects two independent clauses - hence "were" is necessary.


But, why is past perfect tense not required in the previous clause?

I believe, we use past perfect when we want to make a clear distinction of when something happened. To put it another way, we resort to past perfect when using simple past creates ambiguities - in this sentence, sequence of events are clear and therefore there is no need to use past perfect.

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 459

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 19:12
B for me too.
Without 'they' the first clause seems awkward to me.
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 19:23
vscid wrote:
B for me too.
Without 'they' the first clause seems awkward to me.


Make it clear = and you'll be good! :)
I went with B too.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1792

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 20:38
scthakur wrote:
While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they got home, the temperature rose markedly.
(A) While at the beach, the weather was
(B) While they were at the beach, the weather was
(C) While at the beach, they had been
(D) While being at the beach, the weather was
(E) While at the beach, the weather had been


A,D,E have modifier issues.

C -- distorts the original meaning.

B looks good.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 5

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2009, 23:08
OA is B.

Good explanation by x2suresh. I completely got engrossed into past perfect, overlooked modifier issue and selected E.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1258

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: weather [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 00:20
B
This clearly conveys the meaning tht the weather was chilly when they were at the beach. all other choices distort the meaning

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: weather   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2009, 00:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While at the beach, the weather was chilly, but when they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.