Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Pronounsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:

GMATNinja - I thought that life as an attorney is awesome, but my perception is based on an American legal drama television series - Suits. :-D

generis, nightblade354... just like Suits, yes? :)
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GMATNinja, I am not an attorney yet, so I will defer to my brilliant colleague. But I am amazed how many people reference suits!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
why is "for refusing" in option D incorrect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rnn wrote:
why is "for refusing" in option D incorrect?
That option looks like this:

X was like Y for refusing to move...

There are two major problems here. Firstly, for refusing now seems to refer to X (not Y). Also, in this particular question, X is not a person (instead, X is "his courage").

His courage was like someone else's courage for refusing to move...

This makes it sound as if his courage refused to move. Moreover, the refusing to move bit needs to connect to Rosa Parks, not Jackie Robinson (meaning call).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 224
Send PM
here we are comparing the courage of Jackie with Rosa the why we are not using AS because we are comparing some characteristic of noun not exactly noun.. Can any one help me with this
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
pragya007 wrote:
here we are comparing the courage of Jackie with Rosa the why we are not using AS because we are comparing some characteristic of noun not exactly noun.. Can any one help me with this

Hi Pragya, we are comparing the courage of two people and courage is a noun (an abstract noun).

Hence, the usage of like/unlike is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
EducationAisle

Hi

In Option E, the RHS of "As" should be in ellipsis in which the verb is implied? If so, then I guess faulty noun to clause comparison using "As" shouldn't be the decision point to eliminate E?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:
EducationAisle

Hi

In Option E, the RHS of "As" should be in ellipsis in which the verb is implied? If so, then I guess faulty noun to clause comparison using "As" shouldn't be the decision point to eliminate E?

Hello Mayank221133,

Although your question is not for me, here are my two cents anyway. ;)

There are some specific rules with regard to the usage of "as". When used for comparison, "as" MUST be followed by a clause or a prepositional phrase. However, when "as" is followed by a noun, it presents the role or the function of a noun entity. For example, John works as a manager in this company. In this sentence, John = a manager in this company. This role of John has been presented by the use of "as + Noun (a manager)".

The structure of Choice E in this official question is similar to this example sentence. It says, Robinson's courage was as that of Rosa Parks. This choice conveys that Robinson's courage = the courage of Parks. This meaning is illogical. The sentence intends to present a comparison. Therefore, "as" must be followed by a clause or a prepositional phrase, NOT a noun.

Please note that we CANNOT say that the verb is kept understood while the subject "that of Rosa Parks" is mentioned in this choice. Either we write the SV pair or we keep both understood. We cannot mention the subject and omit the verb.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Mayank221133 wrote:
EducationAisle

Hi

Hello Mayank221133,

Although your question is not for me, here are my two cents anyway. ;)

There are some specific rules with regard to the usage of "as". When used for comparison, "as" MUST be followed by a clause or a prepositional phrase. However, when "as" is followed by a noun, it presents the role or the function of a noun entity. For example, John works as a manager in this company. In this sentence, John = a manager in this company. This role of John has been presented by the use of "as + Noun (a manager)".

The structure of Choice E in this official question is similar to this example sentence. It says, Robinson's courage was as that of Rosa Parks. This choice conveys that Robinson's courage = the courage of Parks. This meaning is illogical. The sentence intends to present a comparison. Therefore, "as" must be followed by a clause or a prepositional phrase, NOT a noun.

Please note that we CANNOT say that the verb is kept understood while the subject "that of Rosa Parks" is mentioned in this choice. Either we write the SV pair or we keep both understood. We cannot mention the subject and omit the verb.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Ok, make sense.
One more thing.

Is this a correct sentence : Peter is as old as Jack. If so, what role is "as" playing in this sentence?

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face [#permalink]