Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [53]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [27]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [17]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: While most graduate students find that their education has prepared [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello plaverbach.

Really appreciate if you can underline your question and use A, B,...E for answer choices next time.

While most graduate students find that their education has prepared them well for their future careers, some express concern over their education lacking real-world application, having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been assigned to group projects that do not adequately consider the skills of the individual participants.

A) having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been
Correct. Good parallel structure. "having been...." is the modifier.

B) having, for example, homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or being
Wrong. "being" always raises red flag if it is used as modifier.

C) as, for example, having too unrealistic a scenario in their homework, or being
Wrong. Same as in B.

D) when they have, for example, been given unrealistic scenarios in their homework, or were
Wrong. Why use two tenses? D does not keep parallel structure. In addition, "when" is necessary.

E) for example, when they have homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios, or been
Wrong. No auxiliary verb for "been". Absolutely wrong grammar. Note, "have" is not the auxiliary verb for "been" in this sentence.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Re: While most graduate students find that their education has prepared [#permalink]
Experts pls comment...

Can we eliminate options D and E since they use 'when' but there is no time period to refer to, i.e. when is not preceded by a time period.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, we can say so. ("When" typically is used to refer to time connotation).

In addition, we can also check for tense parallelism to eliminate D & parallelism w.r.t sentence structure in E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I rejected all the choices except D and E. In D, I thought author changed the tense unnecessarily so I finally selected E . Wrong choice :(

Can anyone please guide why did they reject choice and prefer A? Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:

C/D/E.
The fastest way to eliminate C, D and E are the same: comma + conjunction needs a clause after. In either of C, D and E comma + or is not followed by a clause but by a verb / verb-form - there should have been a subject and a verb / verb-form, not just a verb / verb-form.

For option E, why would we need a full clause? Isn't it true that we can leave the subject after and/or when the subject is the same when two actions are separated by And/Or?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
AR15J wrote:

We can leave the subject when two actions are separated by And/or, but , in that case, we don't put "COMMA" before And/OR. "COMMA" before And/OR can only be put when we join two independent clauses.

I went to the market and purchased some fruits. (Correct, because subject is same and there is no "COMMA" before "AND".

Not necessarily. I think comma in your first example comma is optional. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I went to the market, and purchased some fruits. - this is also correct, I think.

I went to the market, talked to supervisor, and purchased some fruits. - in this case, it's correct definitely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
I rejected all the choices except D and E. In D, I thought author changed the tense unnecessarily so I finally selected E . Wrong choice :(

C/D/E.
The fastest way to eliminate C, D and E are the same: comma + conjunction needs a clause after. In either of C, D and E comma + or is not followed by a clause but by a verb / verb-form - there should have been a subject and a verb / verb-form, not just a verb / verb-form.

A.
The perfect participle having + past participle is used to depict a completed action. In option A perfect participle is used correctly. Moreover two verb-forms are correctly added just by a conjunction ( NOT comma+conjunction).

I marked B. Later got the issue ..

in B ->some express.....,for example, HOMEWORK (wrong)
in A -> some express.....,for example, BEEN GIVEN HOMEWORK (correct)

am I correct ? or are there any other problems with B ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hotshot02 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

C/D/E.

A.
The perfect participle having + past participle is used to depict a completed action. In option A perfect participle is used correctly. Moreover two verb-forms are correctly added just by a conjunction ( NOT comma+conjunction).

I marked B. Later got the issue ..

in B ->some express.....,for example, HOMEWORK (wrong)
in A -> some express.....,for example, BEEN GIVEN HOMEWORK (correct)

am I correct ? or are there any other problems with B ?

First remove ",for example ," because this is a non-essential modifier, not a part of the main construction.

A. having been given OR having been assigned ... both are correct.
B. having homework OR being assigned .. both are wrong.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnotherGmater wrote:
AR15J wrote:

We can leave the subject when two actions are separated by And/or, but , in that case, we don't put "COMMA" before And/OR. "COMMA" before And/OR can only be put when we join two independent clauses.

I went to the market and purchased some fruits. (Correct, because subject is same and there is no "COMMA" before "AND".

Not necessarily. I think comma in your first example comma is optional. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I went to the market, and purchased some fruits. - this is also correct, I think.

I went to the market, talked to supervisor, and purchased some fruits. - in this case, it's correct definitely.

The first sentence is incorrect. When two verbs are joined, no comma is to be used.
I went to the market, and I purchased some fruits... correct (two clauses are joined)
OR
I went to the market and purchased some fruits... correct (two verbs are joined)

However the second sentence is correct because when there are more than 2 items in a list, comma before "and" before the last item is optional.

(Here we are discussing two different rules of using "comma").
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
I was stuck between A and B and chose B. Please explain the flaw in my choice here

While most graduate students find that their education has prepared them well for their future careers, some express concern over their education lacking real-world application, having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been assigned to group projects that do not adequately consider the skills of the individual participants.

a) having, for example, been given homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or having been = I thought having been is repeated twice - "having been given hw or having been assigned to group projects. Why is this correct despite the repetion?
b) having, for example, homework that is unrepresentative of realistic scenarios or being "having been given ...blah blah..homework or being (past continuous) assigned to blah group. What is wrong here? 'Being' seems to have been applied correctly

Would like some clarity on the same!
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM