GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 09:01
Hey,

I gave and scored 640 Q47 V31 in my first/last GMAT attempt almost 15-16 days back. I have not studied much since then cause of suddenly heavy work schedule and I was kind of off and not wanted to, but from today I plan to resume my studies and to reach the score (720) I wanted. So today I took a Veritas Prep Mock test to gauge my current (after 15-16 days of break) standing and ability level and scored a 670 Q47 V35.

So it will be helpful if you can help me out, by giving some important pointers, to make a proper 30 days plan for a perfect 720.

and the things I should TOTALLY avoid to hit a pitfall.

Thanks
Any help will be appreciated.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 11:24
Hi akash2601,

To start, a 640/Q47 is a solid score (it's just a bit shy of the 80th percentile overall), so it might be enough to get you into your first-choice Business School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Raising a 640 to a 720+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. As such, you might need more time than you've allotted for. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 12:17
Hey, thanks for your inputs.

I know 640 ain't so bad, but I am looking for colleges in the northwards of TOP 15 if not TOP 10 US B-schools and not just that I feel that I was way too distracted because of Headphones. The thing is I never used a sound isolating headphones ever while prepping for the exam or giving the mock tests, but during the real thing, I tried them at the start of both quant and verbal. I don;t know but that silence made me uncomfortable and difficult for me to concentrate. Hence, I thought let's give it another in a month's time with a new strategy and might come up with something new.

Now the inputs you asked for:

How long have you studied?

I started studying for GMAT around 15th October of the last year, so almost 8 months into it.

2) What study materials have you used so far?

So far I have used:

For preparation:

e-GMAT's Verbal Course
MGMAT's Sentence Correction book for sentence correction
For quants, I just had my notes prepared from several free resources (such as Don'tmemorise.com and ofcourse Bunuel's articles)

For Practice questions:
Verbal: I have Exhausted all of the e-GMAT's Scholaranium's, all of the GMAT Club's test questions and all the questions of GMAT's OG 2018 (almost twice)
Quants: I have completed GMAT's OG 2018 (again, twice) and almost 300-350 GMAT Club's test.

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

MGMAT - 540 ( 25th October )
Veritas Pep - 570 (5th November)
800 Score - 600 ( Don't remember the date)
GMAT Prep 1 - 650 Q47 and V33 ( March 11th )
Economist - 660 Q45 and V35 ( May 4th)
Kaplan - 700 Q47 and V39 (18th May)
GMAT Prep 2 - 660 Q49 V31 (21st May)
GMAT Club (Separate CAT) - Q49 (22nd May)

Final GMAT Score - 640 Q47 V31 (25th May)

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

This year's R1 ideally, if everything falls into place.

5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Anderson
Stern
Fuqua
Haas
Foster
Columbia

Hope it'll be useful for you to give me some insight and what to expect in a month's time or in 2 months (as you advised).
Thanks a lot.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 11:12
Hi akash2601,

To start, you might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your Official GMAT. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Of your recent CATs, the one that's 'closest' to your Official result is the 660 (on May 21st), so it would help to know a bit more about that performance. After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of your performance (with the goal of defining WHY you got questions wrong). While a full Mistake Tracker or CAT Analyzer would provide more detail, there are some basic questions that you should look to answer after you take each CAT (and the more specific you can be with your answers, the better).

After reviewing each section of this CAT, how MANY questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) In the Verbal section, how many questions did you "narrow down to 2 choices" but still get wrong?

Once we have a better sense of WHY you're getting questions wrong, we can better define what you would need to work on to improve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jun 2018, 11:12

Will be Taking GMAT again in 30 days! NEED HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap